• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Kamala Markandaya: Nectar in the Sieve

Libra

How easy we go through every day and think we struggle.The truth is,we are lucky.This is what this story makes you realise even more.

Rukmani,a child bride,in India,fighting day by day to feed her family.Droughts and monsoons destroying their crops and living on rice water,hoping that the next day will be better.

This beautiful and eloquent story tells of a simple peasant woman in a primitive village in India,whose whole life was a gallant and persistent battle to care for those she loved."

:star5:

I will check it out. I live in India so I hope I can get it easily. Have you read Khalid Husseini's "A thousand Splendid Suns"?

I asked that because I wanted to know if it's the same kind of book. While reading "The thousand splendid Suns" I closed the book at least 5 or 6 times, thinking that I can't read more of this because that book was just too depressing. Is this book that way too?

I asked that because I wanted to know if it's the same kind of book. While reading "The thousand splendid Suns" I closed the book at least 5 or 6 times, thinking that I can't read more of this because that book was just too depressing. Is this book that way too?

I don't know how to compare it to a book I haven't read but I found it enlightening in a sense that,although her struggles and many upsetting moments,it's a story of courage.It made me,at least,appreciate more what I have.
Depressing? I don't know,sad circumstances?,many,but she is an optimistic woman and doesn't give up,that's what's amazing about it.

It's short,about 150 to 180 pages.

Just finished this book. It took me a little longer than I expected, considering how small the book is, but I definitely enjoyed it. A story of courage, of loss and overcoming.

A whole lifetime of experiences packed into such a little book. I wish the author had elaborated on more of the narrator's early experiences, since I felt like some things were only lightly touched on or mentioned.

Still, I'd recommend it. Thanks, Libra :)

Back