• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Kayaking

Flying_Changes

Does anyone in here kayak? My family and I are looking into buying one, but we know nothing about them. I go to college up where there are a lot of rivers and lakes, but my actual home is near the ocean. I have seen many people go kayaking on all three types of water (how else should I put it?). Anyways, my mom and I are going to go look at Bass Pro shop this weekend to see what they have. We saw a couple at Sports Authority too. We don't know what to look for in a good kayak though. We want something affordable but of quality. If we like the one we get and use it; we'll probably look into getting another one as well. I personally want to get one of my own so I can take it back up to college with me. So if any of you are kayakers speak up! :D

I was looking at this website and I fell in love with the Caper Lady Angler...and not just because it's pink, but because it's designed for women in mind- that like to fish...which is one of my favorite pastimes (and more of which I am trying to do)! It's a little pricey but not too bad. It's just an idea but I'm up for other models as well!

A long time ago. Hook up with a local club if you can.

Yeah that might be something to look into. Though up at college I am quite busy and already part of a club that is especially going to take up a lot of my time this next year. What exactly do you do at these clubs? Now if they meet like once a month then that shouldn't be a problem.

There's a club or two in the area that gets together once or twice a month for outings. You're in Florida, right? There should be quite a few groups you could hook up with.

Here in Nevada that's a popular sport. I'll tell you a little about what I know, since I was looking into this same thing.

There are quite a few types of kayaks. You have your shorter versions -- which are ideal and built for the rivers with rapids. Then you have your long "canoe type" kayaks that are used on deep rivers that don't have strong rapids. Then theres the open seated kayaks that are good for the deep rivers and also the lakes. If you're going to be utilizing your kayak on the river and lake, I'd suggest going with another type of kayak that is specifically for multi-use. Kind of like getting all-terrain tires:D. However, these are going to be a bit more expensive than any other kayak since they have the durability for the rapids on a river, and yet can be taken out on a lake for relaxation.

Another alternative would be an inflatable kayak especially if storage space is a problem. Inflatables can be transported in the trunk of a car or stored in a closet when they are deflated. They are much more stable than a regular kayak too, nearly impossible to tip over.A quality inflatable craft is very durable too as they can take a surprising amount of abuse. They negatives are they can be a bit expensive and can be a bit sluggish depending upon what type of water they are used in. They are worth considering though.

Check these sites for more info:

Seaeagle.com is a very good site, lots of info with pics and videos too

Soar1.com is another manufacturer of inflatables

Inflatable Kayaks are very neat! You can find those and some other (cheaper versions) of kayaks at Costco too.:lol:

Well, it really depends on what kind of water you're going to be kayaking in. If rapids or white water, then you'll want a shorter kayak for better maneuverability. If the ocean or any calm water, you may want a close-topped kayak or sea kayak (less maneuverability though). Or you may want to compromise.

I'd suggest going to Canoeing and Kayaking Info - Paddling.Net or any website that can help you find a kayak that fits you and how you want to use it.

Back