• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Kelly Link: Magic For Beginners

Ronny

I'm not all that into short stories in general but every now and then I come across some I really like. I didn't realize this book was a collection of stories until I started reading it and while it's a little odd I'm really enjoying it. The stories have a dream like quality to them. They tend to be a mix of everyday people that are involved in bizarre situations, maybe a bit like modern fairy tales. I'm about half way through the collection of 9 stories and will probably finish them tomorrow.

I read a great book of short stories earlier this year called "Rust and Bone" by Craig Davidson. Here is a snippet from Amazon :

A strong stomach, an open mind and a morbid sense of humor are essential to enjoying Davidson's accomplished, macabre first collection. Calamity lurks around every corner, these stories suggest, and you never know when fate will smite you—only that it will. Davidson catapults his characters (sex addicts, fighters, gamblers and drinkers) into ingeniously grim situations that test their will.

Maybe not quite "Magic For Beginners" but if you are still in a short story mood, you might like to give these a try!

I'm not all that into short stories in general but every now and then I come across some I really like. I didn't realize this book was a collection of stories until I started reading it and while it's a little odd I'm really enjoying it. The stories have a dream like quality to them. They tend to be a mix of everyday people that are involved in bizarre situations, maybe a bit like modern fairy tales. I'm about half way through the collection of 9 stories and will probably finish them tomorrow.

I have found Stranger Things Happen but not the ones you mention.

Back