• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Khaled Hosseini: The Kite Runner

swanson03

Khaled Hosseini's "The Kite Runner"

How many of you have read this book? What did you think about it?

I just finished today at work. I love my job!

"The Kite Runner" is without a doubt the best book I have read in a long time. I will not say much about the story for those who havnt read it but it was a roller coaster of emotions. It is also amazing to learn how the people of Afghanistan were treated under Taliban rule. (It is piece of fiction based of fact) "The Kite Runner" is full of deeper meanings about the life, freedom, love, and why things are the way they are in the world.

As I said before it is a piece of fiction but based on fact. The lessons in the book based on real historical events are simply "awesome."

I would recommend the book to anyone.

ME ME ME :D
I read it last summer. I think everyone should give it a try, because it's really good.

The Kite Runner is definately one of the best books I've read in the past couple of years! I recommend it to everyone. Regardless of their genre preferences. Such an important book. . .

Laura

I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975. I remember the precise moment, crouching behind a crumbling mud wall, peeking into the alley near the frozen creek. That was a long time ago, but it’s wrong what they say about the past, I’ve learned, about how you can bury it. Because the past claws its way out. Looking back now, I realize I have been peeking into that deserted alley for the last twenty-six years.

Thus begins The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini’s debut novel; a tale spanning Afghanistan in the seventies to its part in the Twin Towers passing the Soviet invasion and Taliban rule along the way. The story involves the narrator, Amir, trying to gain his father’s respect by attempting a triumph in the local kite fighting competition. Hassan, his friend and servant, helps him but a life-changing event, for which Amir blames himself, occurs which sees their lives take different paths. When the Soviets attack Amir and his father flee to America via Pakistan where they begin a new life. Amir grows up, graduates, marries, but the thought of his guilt sees him return to Afghanistan, now under Taliban rule, in order to trace Hassan and to right the wrongs of that day in 1975.

Despite the first chapter, a page at most that could be cut, the book begins nicely and sets the stage. Kids play, Islam encourages regular prayer, and the village teems with life. The story continues and we learn about the Hazara, the lowly Afghans used as servants, and how Amir’s playmate, the hare-lipped Hassan, is of this caste. Hassan represents everything the narrator wishes he could be: brave, honourable, and willing to stand up for himself. When Amir needs something, Hassan provides, when Amir is in trouble, Hassan takes the blame, and when Amir is bullied Hassan takes the beating.

It is during this time that Hosseini is at his strongest which, in my opinion, is still rather weak. His characters are alive in their own environment, the play between them is realistic, and the dialogue is nicely garnished with a sprinkle of Farsi. We are also invited to sample Afghani culture as we tour houses and schools, sample the food, visit the cinema, and smile during the kite fighting competition. The only problem here is that the description is so matter of fact that it seems the narrator is listing what he remembers without commenting on any emotional impact it may have caused.

In much the same way that the Soviet attacks caused a downhill surge in the quality of life, the book takes a tumble. Amir’s life in America is a section of approximately seventy pages which, thinking back, seems tagged on. It was as if it were written once the novel was complete and tucked in the centre simply to lengthen the text. Nothing that happens here bears any relation to the rest of the story with the exception of the characters and where the ending is located. I wonder, perhaps, if this part were added to make it not so completely foreign to the mainstream American market.

After the American section the novel doesn’t improve. Amir returns to Afghanistan to right his wrongs and the story becomes more of a catalogue of Taliban atrocities than the emotional narrative it could have been. Eventually, after a series of ridiculous coincidences, the story returns to America where it, thankfully, concludes.

I found the narrator to be too perfect in his recollection of times gone by. Every detail is rendered with incredible certainty, including dreams where he’s not quite coherent, and the descriptions are without sentiment. Nostalgia has never been so dry. Cliché is used prolifically within the narrative although the middle aged Amir does make light of this. He doesn’t, however, seem to realise that his own life story has graced so many movies and books already that, despite being the only Afghan protagonist I know, he is already hackneyed.

The Kite Runner is not a book that I can recommend and I disagree with the critics that are quoted as saying the book was “emotional” when it was so cold that it would take more than a poppy field ablaze to melt its boring heart.

I just picked up the latest Entertainment Weekly and it states that The Kite Runner is number one on the paperback charts, about a year after its initial release. I think I'll spend the $7 and pick up a copy to see what it's all about (or maybe I'll visit the library for a copy), especially after reading Stewart's review.

sirmyk said:
I think I'll spend the $7 and pick up a copy to see what it's all about (or maybe I'll visit the library for a copy), especially after reading Stewart's review.
Oh, you're disagreeing with me now? :p

Stewart, just curious if you've ever read anything by Jhumpa Lahiri? She wrote a series of short stories called Interpreter Of Maladies and a novel, Namesake. She writes about Indian immigrants in America but much of her works deals with the Indian culture and she has some absolutely gorgeous descriptions of food, clothing, tradition, etc. Based on what you said about the first section of Kite Runner, and your complaints about the rest, you might enjoy her style. Very vivid and lush.

pwilson said:
Stewart, just curious if you've ever read anything by Jhumpa Lahiri? She wrote a series of short stories called Interpreter Of Maladies and a novel, Namesake.

No, I hadn't. I may check out Interpreter of Maladies in time.

She writes about Indian immigrants in America but much of her works deals with the Indian culture and she has some absolutely gorgeous descriptions of food, clothing, tradition, etc.

What perspective?

Based on what you said about the first section of Kite Runner, and your complaints about the rest, you might enjoy her style. Very vivid and lush.

The first part was fine, a tad unemotional, but enough to be happy with. But it's so short and then the rest of the novel was from Hosseini's Cliche By Numbers book. It seems Lahiri has won the Pulitzer for the short story collection; she will, no doubt, be more readable than this Afghan doctor receiving, as seems the trend these days, the highest praise and credit for mediocrity.

For the past few weeks that I have been perusing through the book reviews in the newspaper, the Kite Runner has, and still is, at the top of the fiction paperback bestsellers list. In fact, the novel has even reached top ten in Amazon.com. Since I have plans to read the Kite Runner in the near future, I was just wondering, for those who read it already, how you would rate the book out of five stars.

Stewart said:
What perspective?
Mostly from the perspective of the immigrants themselves. Although after thinking about it, I'm not altogether sure that America was the only country travelled to. Very differing reactions to their new homes, everything from completely refusing to adapt at all to whole-hearted acceptance at the cost of their own culture. If I remember right, in Interpreter Of Maladies there's a story narrated by a cab driver in India who is taxiing (sp?) an Americanized family who returned for vacation. He has a very unique perspective about the whole thing.

Stewart said:
The first part was fine, a tad unemotional, but enough to be happy with. But it's so short and then the rest of the novel was from Hosseini's Cliche By Numbers book. It seems Lahiri has won the Pulitzer for the short story collection; she will, no doubt, be more readable than this Afghan doctor receiving, as seems the trend these days, the highest praise and credit for mediocrity.
I liked Kite Runner but have definitely heard others with your same complaints. I guess I felt like he avoided some of the clichés by showing the various struggles of the family when they returned to America. Maybe avoided is the wrong word, because I still understand what you're saying. For me, he left it open-ended enough that I didn't feel like it was a "happily ever after" scenario.

As far as Lahiri's Pulitzer, I would say it was well-deserved. She opens up aspects of Indian culture that I wasn't aware of and provides opportunities to see things from various new perspectives. Definitely made me appreciate how hard it must be to enter an alien country.
If you're interested here's a link to the first few pages of the first story in IOM.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/039...0046433?_encoding=UTF8&p=S00D&j=0#reader-page

I just finished reading this last night. And though I can understand some of the complaints and questions brought up, I found it a very interesting and haunting read. Maybe it is from reading too much sci-fi in my life. (I recently started reading more general fiction.) But I had a hard time putting it down. It was also nice to read a book that seemed to be heading for the typical happy ending, yet have it get derailed and turn Amir's life around. Going from having someone that would do everything and anything for him, to now trying to have to earn someone's love.

And as for the question before, I would give it 4 stars.

reading it almost finished. but must say im loving it.
the characters are strong and im finding it v evocative and informative.

reminds me a little of rohinton mistry style with its quite pedestrian, simplistic storytelling.

seems to be a lot of the author in it - he's a writer / acknowledges cliches. couldnt see him topping this

oldboy said:
seems to be a lot of the author in it - he's a writer / acknowledges cliches. couldnt see him topping this

Yeah, I noticed that he acknowledged cliches; it was as if to say, hey, this is the best I can do. The best (or biggest/worst/etc) cliche comes near the end. Wait for it... ;)

Back