• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Killing Off Characters

ctadams

I'm doing an informal survey. I did this on another site also. I feel that it is very important when writing an adventure (i.e., murder mystery, paranormal, etc.) with action that the writer have the option of killing off characters. I find it utterly unbelievable that a humongous baddie can come to town slaughtering people, but none of the people actually throwing themselves up against him/her/it get much more than a scratch. I feel that death is a part of life, and that writing should reflect that. I don't think the bodies should pile up unnecessarily, but sometimes it's important emotionally for a character to lose someone, or the death is necessary for the plot.

I've seen posts from readers who get absolutely OUTRAGED when somebody in a book dies. So, I'm just generally looking for opinions and rationales.

Thanks to all who answer.

Cie

This is my take on it:

It will totally outrage readers if you kill off a character or two that they like. But ya know what, they aren't the ones writing the story, it isn't their brainchild, and you don't need them - unless you're a starving artist.

But seriously, sometimes it is important for a character to die because they're dragging the action down, aren't important anymore or are sidetracking from the story. And sometimes you have to kill them off just because they bug you. Don't let readers tell you how to write your book.

There's nothing wrong with killing off a character. The only kind of writer that would object to that is a hack that has a book series running with popular characters and they are too afraid to upset the fans because they want to keep the cash cow alive. Any of those aforementioned fans that object really need to get out more often :)

SillyWabbit said:
There's nothing wrong with killing off a character. The only kind of writer that would object to that is a hack that has a book series running with popular characters and they are too afraid to upset the fans because they want to keep the cash cow alive. Any of those aforementioned fans that object really need to get out more often :)
I can think of a few such authors.... Most of them should get a life and a new job.

Do you mean lead characters? I have read novels in which the lead character has died and my reaction depends on how likable the character is and how the writer handles it.

I think killing off characters is necessary to keep a book realistic, in some situations, and can be a good plot twist too. In a violent war series, for example, you can't avoid it and it just wrecks your writing if you do.

That said I personally, as a young unpublished writer, haven't ever killed off a character, lead, minor, background, baddie... :eek: I do have to say that you get attached to them! I haven't tried writing in that sort of genre yet, I guess.

As a reader, I've read books in which main characters die -- not the lead character but their friends, for example -- and though I know I'd love to read more about that character and it's a pity they're killed off, it was only realistic that they die in the given situation.

I find it utterly unbelievable that a humongous baddie can come to town slaughtering people, but none of the people actually throwing themselves up against him/her/it get much more than a scratch.

Exactly. I've not read one book where the main character dies. It's so predictable. You always know the main character is going to survive at least to accomplish what they need to do to defeat evil or whatever they're going up against. I think we need a little variety so that it won't be predictable.

ctadams said:
I'm doing an informal survey. I did this on another site also. I feel that it is very important when writing an adventure (i.e., murder mystery, paranormal, etc.) with action that the writer have the option of killing off characters. I find it utterly unbelievable that a humongous baddie can come to town slaughtering people, but none of the people actually throwing themselves up against him/her/it get much more than a scratch. I feel that death is a part of life, and that writing should reflect that. I don't think the bodies should pile up unnecessarily, but sometimes it's important emotionally for a character to lose someone, or the death is necessary for the plot.

I've seen posts from readers who get absolutely OUTRAGED when somebody in a book dies. So, I'm just generally looking for opinions and rationales.
Cie

Hey Cathy, I killed off a minor character once and got outrage (editors mostly) because the particular character was highly likeable. As you wish readers to identify with the characters, a death can be difficult to swallow. But sometimes, heros must die if you must have a twist. Also verisimilitude. You see it in a lot of movies where a fight that would decapitate a grown elephant leaves one weak human with escapable bruises, gone tomorrow. If it enriches your story for a character to die...

K-Dawn said:
Exactly. I've not read one book where the main character dies. It's so predictable. You always know the main character is going to survive at least to accomplish what they need to do to defeat evil or whatever they're going up against. I think we need a little variety so that it won't be predictable.

Read War and Peace, just about everyone dies. ;)

Yes some characters must die to bring a touch of realism into the book, and as michigan said it can be used as a plot twist. In many ways you have done a good job as a writer if the readers are outraged by the death of a character. You made a character the readers liked and cared about.

If you compare Wheel of time (Where noone ever dies) and A song of ice and fire (where just about everyone dies) you can easily see how important it can be to kill off some important characters. Especially if its a long series like most fantasy books are these days.

I use the same rule for sex and killing. If it doesn't contribute to the the story line or help move it along I won't do it. I find it very difficult to kill some characters off. I will only do it if it contributes and moves along the storyline

I mean, sometimes you write yourself into a spot where someones got to die if its going to be believeable. Sometimes I'll go back and work in a character--if its possible--just so they can get whacked! And that outrage contributes to the storyline, I think, if you can write it so your readers direct the outrage at the killer. I'm still working on that one.

Prolixic wrote: Sometimes I'll go back and work in a character--if its possible--just so they can get whacked!

Ah, the Star Trek "red shirt" syndrome! :D Personally, if I lived in that reality, I'd be TERRIFIED of the color red... :eek:

Cathy C said:
Ah, the Star Trek "red shirt" syndrome! :D Personally, if I lived in that reality, I'd be TERRIFIED of the color red... :eek:

Say goodbye Crewman Number Two! ZZZZZZzzzzzttt! :rolleyes:

No really not that they won't contribute or be likeable or unlikeable or have any depth but just so I know they're dead meat. Its better than picking which one of the others dies off.

True@1stLight said:
Read War and Peace, just about everyone dies. ;)
I find that now when I read a chapter, I'm constantly worried that the character is going to die. A strange feeling reading a book like that.. :D

hay82 said:
I find that now when I read a chapter, I'm constantly worried that the character is going to die. A strange feeling reading a book like that.. :D

Sort of like watching Jurassic Park. Who's next? . . . :D

I think it's soo silly when people get soo upset. I looove it when Stephen King makes me fall in love with a character and then kills him. It bring out sooo much emotion & it's lovely. He does that ALL the time.

***SPOILER***
When he killed the kid in "Cujo" a woman got soo mad she sent him dog shit in the mail. It's ridiculous.

Yeah, I have a friend who cries when she rereads Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix because she loves the character who dies. Yeah, I was sad too (it was my favorite character), but I never cried about it.

Back