• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Kindle for the PC

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member
Seems kinda pointless to me, but Amazon has released the Kindle on PC as a free download.

Amazon said:
  • Get the best reading experience available on your PC. No Kindle required
  • Access your Kindle books even if you don't have your Kindle with you
  • Automatically synchronizes your last page read and annotations between devices with Whispersync
  • Create bookmarks and view the annotations you created on your Kindle

I think I'll pass on this.

So essentially, their e-books can now be read on your computer.

Whoop-de-do. I thought that was what we had before the Kindle and other e-book readers, which they were specifically designed to get rid of, since reading a book on your computer is a pain in the eyes?

What's next - "Digital cameras: now with film!"?

Yeah, that was what I was thinking as well.

Now you don't need a Kindle, just take your notebook computer with you like you always do anyway. Or, just take a book.

So you are basically sitting in front of your computer reading? That just doesn't sound comfortable to me. The good thing about the kindle is you can curl up on the couch with your dog and your book and have a good read. Of course, you could do that with a book too....theoretically, I've heard. :lol:

As my kid would say whenever I do something the old fashioned way rather then the new/high tech way...."What, are we converting to Amish?!?"

I guess I'm an Amish reader.

It might be nifty on a tablet PC.

For the foreseeable future, I will remain an "Amish reader".

Reading at a computer is a different experience than reading printed material. I canceled my newspaper subscription once and started reading stock market news on my computer. I had less retention while reading that way. I imagine it would be worse if I tried reading a book while sitting at my computer. I'm going to have to pass on this one too.

I was looking into buying a kindle earlier this year...I am still not sold on the idea. Kindle on PC for reading ebooks...

Maybe I am an amish reader as well!

Barnes and Noble has a free thing too so you can read BN eBooks on your PC, Mac OS, Blackberry, iPhone, and iPod touch... and BN has over 500,000 free ebooks. Just sayin'. :p

I've always loved the look and the feel of a book. But chances are that I'll be purchasing one of these electronic readers eventually since I rarely have time to get to the bookstore. Even the library is cumbersome for me because of time, and secondly, the books that I want are not always guaranteed to be there.

Barnes and Noble has a free thing too so you can read BN eBooks on your PC, Mac OS, Blackberry, iPhone, and iPod touch... and BN has over 500,000 free ebooks. Just sayin'. :p

I have downloaded the B&N reader and downloaded a couple of sample books...I did not realize they had so many free offerings! I will have to look it over again.

Well, when you could only read the ebooks on the Kindle device people were complaining that they should have the right to read their e-books on their computers and other devices. Now that Amazon is allowing the e-books to be read on your PC and iPhones at no additional cost people are complaining more and saying "what's the point?"

Amazon, you're damned of you do, damned if you don't.

I have the idea of reading a book on a computer. My entire job requires me to sit 8 hrs at a computer. I couldn't imagine spending my free time sitting at a computer as well so i could read. :)

At least the readers have screens that don't murder my eyes. Besides, I know my books can't be randomly deleted from existence. ...yet.

Back