• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Kingdom of Heaven

direstraits

Hi all..!!!!!

Came back from Kingdom of Heaven, and thought it was just an okay movie. Not brilliant, not anywhere near Gladiator, and watching this flick gave me plenty to think about, like can Orlando Bloom really act.

The wife going "Oh, he has nice hair" didn't help his cause, I've got to say.

Seems to me also that there is just this single thread holding the plot and consequently the movie together, and this thread is so thin it's almost unbelievable.

ds

Well, I didn't see anything with him in it after Pirates of the Carribbean, and I did enjoy the movie too much to notice his acting.

I heard he totally sucked in Troy.

Shame. Maybe there should be a LOTR spinoff starring Legolas.

ds

It's not that he can't act; he just doesn't try.

He just stands there, looking sultry and sweaty. He just is.

Cheers

Hmmm, were you suggesting that I'd better wait for the DVD version?

By the way, did you see the Kungfu Hustle by Stephen Chow? I'd recommend! :)

i liked him as legolas because the role didn't require much acting. elves are silent and stoic. but he is the kevin costner of epic dramas. as kevin should stick to ball films, orlando should stick to period flicks.

Martin said:
It's not that he can't act; he just doesn't try.

He just stands there, looking sultry and sweaty. He just is.

Cheers

Maybe all the comments about how hot he was as Legolas went to his head and he just thinks to himself "Hey, I'm beautiful. Look at me." Kind of like how my cat, Gracie, acts when I get the camera out (she got way too many compliments from everyone when she was a kitten and she's quite vain now ;))

fountainhead said:
Hmmm, were you suggesting that I'd better wait for the DVD version?
Uhm... whichever is cheaper, fountainhead. :D

fountainhead said:
By the way, did you see the Kungfu Hustle by Stephen Chow? I'd recommend! :)
My sis sez it sucked. I believe her. Coz Shaolin Soccer sucked too.

If you can, watch Stephen Chow's earlier movies - those were great.

Btw I take it you're an Ayn Rand fan? I really liked The Fountainhead, though it did spin me around at times.

ds

jenngorham said:
i liked him as legolas because the role didn't require much acting. elves are silent and stoic.
I feel the exact same way too.

However, I think he should start acting in normal movies - just so I know for a fact that he can't act. :D

ds

I'm really looking forward to this movie. I'll watch it if only to see Ridley Scott's wonderful & beautiful direction.

I heard from my friends that it was really boring and they wanted to get out of the cinema when the film was only half-shown!!! even the one who likes Orlando a lot said she didnt like it. ha, I think I better wait for the vcd

Cindy said:
I heard from my friends that it was really boring and they wanted to get out of the cinema when the film was only half-shown!!! even the one who likes Orlando a lot said she didnt like it. ha, I think I better wait for the vcd

Cindy, I really liked it. Maybe your friends were expecting an action movie? It certainly is not one! Although, it does have some fantastic and exciting battle scenes in the movie. I posted my review of this over in the "Just seen thread"

Here is is: I saw Kingdom of Heaven last night.

I really enjoyed the movie. I really like Ridley Scott! The movie is full of wonderful images and moments such as snow caught in the air in a silent forest, vast desert vistas, battles, quiet court yards filled with light, panoramic city shots. Every scene is always interesting and beautifully shot. Ridley Scott always seems to engage me emotionally as well as ascetically.

The plot, was good and moved forward quickly. The battle scenes were just outstanding! Amazing stuff. I had read a few reviews of the movie before going to see it and one said he found it to be a bit naive and simplistic because it seems the message in the film is "can't we all just get along?" Maybe the world has become too cynical, but I don't think that is such a bad message to have and it's actually simple but true all the same. There are a couple of other issues the movie deals with. It's not a deep movie by any means, but the messages are there. Maybe it's a little simplistic and sloppy but it's nice to see it tackle some of the issues.

Acting is very good! Astounding cast of actors giving it their all. Except of course Orlando Bloom he is shit as ever and shown up even more by the greats he is playing along side with! His character does not actually talk much in the movie so it's OK

Not the best film there ever was. Not as good as Gladiator. It's a different movie, but when you have made something SO good as Gladiator it's only natural that your next movie will be compared to it. Not the best ever, but damn good movie. The 2 and half hours didn't drag one bit for me.

Gah! I saw this movie with friends and I was bored out of my mind! :eek:
Plus, the only thing I could think about the whole time was who was the king behind the mask. We placed bets. I won! :D I totally knew that was Edward Norton because of his voice. He's sorta got this lisp...thing.

Back