• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

King's Dark Tower Series - For those who have completed it *SPOILERS*

a movie, huh? or not respectively...

well I have to somewhat agree with the quoted passage. although I think the trick is to realise, that in a movie, we just see one person's interpretaion of the story. the way stuff looks like and the way characters look like. especially if this is the author's interpretation itself, one is inclined to say "alright, that's how it IS". now the thing is, it is not how it *IS*, but how it *COULD BE*. movie goers, especially those who haven't read the book, might not make this distinction and that's why I understand King's point. on the other hand, having read the book and 'build' my own Midworld, I think I would enjoy it greatly to see it on the screen. just as I have enjoyed LotR, after I read the book.

as for a LotR-style trilogy, I am not sure DT has the fanbase that LotR has (unfortunately) so a mammoth project like this might not come through. on the other hand, King is an enough popular name that some studio executive might wanna take the risk.

All Hail the Crimson King!

New!

True (I totally agree with you Bob), DT may not have a fan base as huge as LOTR, but King has a pretty huge fan base & although not all of them have read DT, I'm sure all of them have at least heard of it. ;) But it would be interesting to see how another person envisions Roland's world.

If they do make it into a move or series, I hope it won't be shitty like most of his movies (not all, just most).

I'm excited about Desperation coming out (on ABC). I hope it's good.

New King book!!! http://www.stephenking.com/colorado_kid_press_release/

Riding the Bullet DVD in April!!! Lots comin' out guys!!! Yay!! :D

I'm still on Elena (60 pages). There are too many tests coming up in school that I have to study for. But I'm really excited about Basque & Bijou (36 pages). So far though, Marianne is my favourite. What did you think of that one, Lenny?
Marianne was a good one, too. I need to go back and read some of those to refresh my memory. That book is one of my fave classic erotica books, along with The Story of O. Great stuff!

New Delta thread

Lenny! I put up a new thread for Delta in the Fiction forum. I quoted some of our posts. I hope you don't mind. ;)

I've just finished the final book, and I have to say that I think the DT series is King's finest work.

Although occasionally it has been a bit of a slog - God only knows how many thousand pages I must have read, and how long it's taken - there are so many powerful scenes, and such deep characters, that I'll always remember it, and I'm so glad I took the time to read it.

My favourite writing was the death and burial of Jake - it was the first time in years that a book reduced me to tears - but I thought Roland shouting out the names of his loved ones as he approached the tower was especially moving.

Although it's one of those Stephen King works that's hard to explain to non-fans due to its depth and complexity, I think it's the one that most fans will remember and thank him for.

And while he says he's not completely happy with the ending, he is correct when he says it's the right one. After all, what else could Roland do than go on his quest again?

Magnum Opus

Grendel said:
And while he says he's not completely happy with the ending, he is correct when he says it's the right one. After all, what else could Roland do than go on his quest again?

I totally agree! When I was reading DT, I kept thinking about how I don't want it to end... and really, it doesn't. Endings are always sooo sad, but this is better. I don't think I'd be fine with Roland going to New York and reuniting with his ka-tet. Or finding Susan in another world and settling down with her in a Calla.

I'm glad you liked it. Like what Bev Vincent says, it is definitely King's "Magnum Opus"

The Ending

I gotta admit I was completely suprised by the way it ended. I can see how some people would get upset over the non-closure aspect of it, but it definitely 'fit' the series. Ka is a wheel, as the say. ;)

thoughts?

Towers are often used to symbolize an individual's self-constructed existence, perception, philosophy or consciousness. Unlike a mountain, a tower is man-made, though both stand alone. A quest to conquer a tower may be seen as a voyage of self-discovery.
-Bev Vincent's The Road to the Dark Tower

2. What do you think about Mid-World? Is it a postapocalyptic version of Earth?

Metafiction

marlasinger said:
King writing himself in as a character was a bit wierd - took a while to get my head around it, but I thought it was a nice touch. I don't know if any other author has done that before. It almost gives a bit a reality to the book - ie. King's accident featuring in the novel, etc.

"The literary term for self-aware or self-referential fiction is 'metafiction,' probably coined by William H. Gass in 1970." -Vincent

I don't believe that this is the first time an author has done this. It certainly isn't the first time King has done so. King and Peter Straub do this in Black House.

What do you think about Mid-World? Is it a postapocalyptic version of Earth?
It certainly seems that way, with all of the remnants of cars and oil tankers. But remember some of the cars were cars that Eddie never heard of, and they posit the theory that's it's just maybe one of many different versions(dimensions?) of Earth. Plus the way they move back and forth between the different worlds.

The Road to the Dark Tower-Bev Vincent

Hey guys! I'm so sorry I've been neglecting this thread. I really missed it! I'll just go ahead and throw out a few things to think about-things I've read in Bev Vincent's The Road to the Dark Tower Exploring Stephen King's Magnum Opus.

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Stephen King considers this "the best opening line I ever wrote"
It simultaneously introduces the protagonist, his adversary and the setting in a few well-chosen words.
-B. Vincent
Facing the possibility of success after countless years of pursuit and hardship, Roland detaches himself emotionally from Jake. By choosing to follow Walter into the mountains, he consciously sentences Jake to death. "That was the moment at which the small figure before him ceased to be Jake and became only the boy, an impersonality to be moved and used." He is a pawn to be sacrificed...After Jake rejoins the ka-tet, Roland occasionally refers to him as "the boy" and immediately reprimands himself for doing so.
-B. Vincent
I think that's an excellent example of (de)humanizing.
I personally didn't like the idea of merging Marten, Walter, and R.F. It seemed like Stephen King didn't know how to give each of these people their own personality so decided to make them the same person.
It also would've been nice to refer to The Crimson King as "The Beast" at least once in the last book.

The Road to the Dark Tower-Bev Vincent 2

I've said earlier that I've had problems with Bev Vincent's book. He states:
Roland doubts the skeleton is really Walter. He knows that the man in black has told him many lies. On impulse, eh breaks off the jawbone and sticks it in his pocket, a replacement for the one he gave Jake in the oracle's speaking circle. Since it wasn't Walter's, the jawbone has no real power other than to prove later to Roland's confused mind that Jake did exist.
What the hell? This is totally absurd because later, Eddie throws the jawbone into the fire so that he can see the key. That is power.

Well, I'm off for Spring Break and I may not see you guys for awhile (a week)... I'll miss you all :( ! Have a great week guys and don't forget about me!

Long days and pleasant nights.

I suppose I just wasn't 100% sure. I mean, go figure, you know? He calls a stuttering robot "Stuttering Bill" & takes pleasure in it, refusing to let it fix the problem. It just seemed like it must be.

In another thread on TBF, someone asked if Pennywise was in DT and this one person said no. Then I thought about Dandelo...
Just wanted to see what you guys thought.

There's definitely a connection there. I remember reading It for the first time and when it got to that part about the turtle, I said, "What the hell?! Who edited this book?!". :confused: But now it kinda makes sense.

I finally finished The Dark Tower last night, and I'm going to have to be different and say I did not like the ending. When Roland finally went into the tower and we heard the door slamming shut forever, I thought that was the end, and we would have to come to our own conclusions about what happened inside. I didn't particularly like this, as I am not a fan of "open" endings. I like to have it spelt out for me. Then I was surprised and happy to see that the book returned to Roland.

I was intrigued as Roland climbed the tower and saw all those rooms with aspects of his life. I wondered why they were there, but just before he stepped into the room at the top, I suddenly knew what was going to happen, a split second before I read it. And I was right. :( I thought the whole loop thing was absolutely terrible, not in terms of being crap, but a terrible thing for Roland. I was horrified. I know Roland is an anti-hero, who did terrible things in the name of his quest, but he didn't deserve this.

The whole thing does not make sense to me. The quest was always about saving the Dark Tower, and thus saving all the worlds. To me this is a noble cause, surely? Doesn't the Tower/Gan/Ka set him on this quest? If so, Roland complies, saves the Tower and saves all the worlds. He is doing what he should be doing, what the tower wants him to do. When he is successful, surely he should be rewarded with peace/death/an end to his quest. I thought he would somehow remain at the Tower as its guardian, or go to the clearing at the end of the path and finally have peace. But no, he is doomed to repeat the quest over and over again, and has done so many times already.

Things that don't make sense to me:

1. After Roland is sent back to the beginning, the Tower must begin the cycle again and the Beams will fail, worlds will move on, the Tower will be in jeopardy again. Why? What is the point of this? When the Tower is powerful and has been saved, why would time "reset" like this? No doubt the Crimson King etc will suddenly wink back into existence, and round we go again. To me, this does not make sense.

2. Why does Roland have to earn redemption for what he has done? The things he did were all to ensure the success of his quest, ie to save the Dark Tower and all the worlds at all costs. The Dark Tower wanted and needed to be saved, so why punish Roland for doing what had to be done? If he had not done these things, the quest would have failed and the tower and all the worlds would have ended.

3. The matter of Eld's horn. This, I feel, is just a device to give the thoroughly depressed reader a tiny smidgeon of hope that Roland's endless quest has the chance of finally ending. But if Roland's quest ever did end, what would happen to the Tower, given that it seems to need the quest to continue? Would the duty pass to someone else?

4. On Roland's next quest, will the "three" he draws still be Susannah, Eddie and Jake, or versions of them? Or will they be three completely new people?

Maybe someone can explain it to me. :)

I can't really pick a favourite book, as I read the first three so long ago, and have not re-read them. I think Wolves of the Calla was probably my least favourite - it seemed a bit like a pointless filler. Callaghan was pointless to me, I was not interested in his story in the slightest. I did not think Oy was pointless, how could he be when he saved Roland? The relationship between Jake and Oy was beautiful. In fact, all the relationships were beautifully written. I sniffled at Eddie's death and cried at Jake's (last) death, and at Oy's. :(

I did not like the introduction of King as a character, especially when they were referring to him as a god. He was certainly rather unlikeable. It seemed very egotistical to me for him to write himself into the books! Especially when Jake had to die to save him. :mad:

I must admit that I was hoping that Eddie, Susannah and Jake would somehow be reunited. I don't care if it was cliched, I wanted it to happen and was overjoyed when it did. :) The story of Susan upset me a great deal, it would have been nice if Roland could have been reunited with her in the clearing at the end of the path. :(

I think King's writing could have been more succinct, but I'm a constant reader so I know what he is like! As I said, Wolves seemed ultimately pointless, and many other parts of the later 3 books could have been shortened without losing anything important.

The introduction of The Artist was very contrived and rather unsatisfying. He is discovered, and lo and behold, he happens to have this wondrous talent that saves everything! Then he wanders off again and King blithely says that he doesn't know what happens to him. :rolleyes:

So, I am very glad I finally finished reading this series. For the most part, it was wonderful, gripping, emotional stuff. But I have big problems with the ending. Hmm. Maybe someone can talk me round on that. :)

Halo, sorry so late

I'm going to have to be different and say I did not like the ending. When Roland finally went into the tower and we heard the door slamming shut forever, I thought that was the end, and we would have to come to our own conclusions about what happened inside. I didn't particularly like this, as I am not a fan of "open" endings. I like to have it spelt out for me. Then I was surprised and happy to see that the book returned to Roland.
If the series actually ended like that, I would have been really disappointed, but I would have been fine with it as well. I also thought it was nice that it came full circle: "ka is a wheel"
I know Roland is an anti-hero, who did terrible things in the name of his quest, but he didn't deserve this.
He didn't? I wonder why he was shown all these things as he climbed the tower. Perhaps to repeat his quest over and over while at the same time learning. I wonder how many times he had already gone through his quest before we were introduced into that world?
The quest was always about saving the Dark Tower, and thus saving all the worlds. To me this is a noble cause, surely? Doesn't the Tower/Gan/Ka set him on this quest? If so, Roland complies, saves the Tower and saves all the worlds. He is doing what he should be doing, what the tower wants him to do.
I was thinking that perhaps it is because Roland didn't do it the way Tower/Gan/Ka wanted it to be done. Roland's reasons for saving the tower wasn't completely selfless, he also had something to gain by doing it.

Back