• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Koji Suzuki: The Ring

nightwalker

I saw the movies (the hollywood versions) of both Ring and Ring 2 but was thinkin of reading the book - The Ring.

Has anyone here read it? Is it worth reading?

I read the first one. I thought the translation was horrible. Or at least, I think it was the translation, because the book was filled with really awful grammar. I'm not a grammar nazi by any stretch of the imagination, but this was noticably bad grammar.

I read the first one, and then tried to read the sequel and stopped about 1/4 of the way in.

I wouldn't recommend them.

nightwalker said:
I saw the movies (the hollywood versions) of both Ring and Ring 2

spiralsky said:
There were books to these movies?

The Ring 2 is not a remake of Ringu 2. It's a sequel to the Hollywood remake which goes off in its own direction. Ringu was followed by the other films in the trilogy, Ringu 2 and Ringu 0.

The author, I believe, wrote Ringu but the sequel to that, I think, is Spiral.

As for the translation I wouldn't have held out much for it as it's appearance in English after the movies' release shows that it's more than likely an exercise in cash (which some translation hack got the gig to do) rather than a groundbreaking piece of Japanese fiction that had to be taken to an international audience.

Back