• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

ladies and gentlemen... bob 5000

bob 5000

hi everyone,

I am bob 5000 and I joined this forum in hope to find and give recommendations from/to people that like and know books similar to the ones I do. my reading intensity varies from time to time, right now I am in a phase where I am reading a lot again and need a new book before the old one has even finished.
to introduce myself, here's a short list of what I like and read recently. I am obviously looking for recommendations to similar books and subjects.

All-time fave:
** The Dune series by Frank Herbert (Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune(!) , Chapterhouse Dune)

** The Dark Tower I-VII by Stephen King

** The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien

Recently read and liked a lot:
** The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown
** Angels and Demons by Dan Brown
** The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason

-> you see, puzzle books fascinate me recently...

Currently reading:
** Insomnia by Stephen King
** Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Michael Baigent et al

I also like fact/scientific books, mostly about astrophysics and such.
** A Short History of Time by Stephen Hawkings
** How to Build a Time Machine by Paul Davies

I hope this gives you a small overview about me.
Looking forward to join the conversations!

bob 5000

...Bob!

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Sure you will get more recommendations than you can ever know what to do with!

A ha! A new person who isn't called Lisa and doesn't live in Woking! :D

Welcome to the forum bob! :) I like Stephen King and his Dark Tower series, but I've only read 1-4 so far. I hated Insomnia the first time I read it, but the second time I loved it. :confused: I've also got The Da Vinci Code on my "to read" pile.

halo: you've only read DT 1-4 so far? aaah, how can you NOT have read the rest? isn't the excitement and suspense of what might happen next tearing you apart? ah the agony, the pain and suffering you must endure... I feel with you ;)

Welcome bob.

Like Halo, I've only read DK I-IV. Not because I don't want to read the rest, just waiting for the the trade paperback versions to go on sale (they've got to get under $20) - 'cause I'm cheap! :D

bah, cheap... how about a signed copy of DT VII by michael whelan?
not that it is extremely expensive, but definitely not cheap :p

bob 5000 said:
halo: you've only read DT 1-4 so far? aaah, how can you NOT have read the rest? isn't the excitement and suspense of what might happen next tearing you apart? ah the agony, the pain and suffering you must endure... I feel with you ;)

Yes, it is driving me mad - thank you for making me feel even worse about it. :mad: :D No, like Ell, I have to wait for the cheaper paperbacks, and the publishers are certainly taking their time about it too! Maybe the wait will make the story even better when I read it (well, I've got to tell myself something!) :)

bob 5000 said:
Recently read and liked a lot:
** The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown
** Angels and Demons by Dan Brown
** The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason

-> you see, puzzle books fascinate me recently...

Currently reading:
** Insomnia by Stephen King
** Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Michael Baigent et al
I enjoyed The Da Vinci Code and bought Holy Grail, Holy Blood 'cause I wanted to know more. I got as far as page 50 and then I surrendered. This book is really boring. There are a lot of facts but it takes ages to find them in all this crap. So I sold the book on ebay.

you could have sold it to me ;)
but yes, I am kinda slow on it too right now. but I bought it knowing that it was a fact book, so I try to keep reading. if not, I'll seel it too, what'd you get on ebay? :)

Back