• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Last seen...

The last movie I watched was Revolutionary Road starring Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio. Winslet was an amazing actress but the film was just way too depressing to be enjoyable...

Ah, that brings back memories of watching the debate on IMDB before the movie came out, and how some people thought this would basically be the sequel to Titanic, with Kate and Leo in a sweet story about the power of true lurrrv.

Tee hee.

Good movie. Absolutely fantastic book.

There are so many bad Xmas flicks I can see myself opting out of yuletide screenings next year, but my last festive double bill was surprisingly fun.

I'm not so charmed by how 'Comfort and Joy'(Comfort and Joy - Part 1/7 - YouTube) makes light of a real-life battle over business territory which cost six lives, but that aside it's a sardonic take on the holiday season which is more trenchant about human nature than most Christmas movies combined. If you're not allergic to British humour then expect to be delighted by a story about a radio DJ who suffers a break-up in mid-December, then finds himself refereeing a bitter dispute waged by competing ice cream producers. Despite the overhanging air of loss and strife, the humour keeps everything buoyant throughout, and fans of 'Local Hero' will be especially interested because 'Comfort and Joy' is writer-director Bill Forsyth's follow-up to that film.

The other one I watched was 'Black Christmas'(Black Christmas (1974) - YouTube), which unlike most slashers wasn't completely redundant. It's basically the film Ti West wishes he could make if he'd been around in 1974, but its authentic 70s aesthetic is far superior to anything West has managed so far. I didn't quite make it to the end last night so I don't yet know whether Margot Kidder survives, so I've that to look forward to later.

we last watched Tremors 1, again... one of my husband's favourite movies.. next up is Kung Fu Hustle, one of my favourites.. :D

^ ditto.

The other one I watched was 'Black Christmas' which unlike most slashers wasn't completely redundant. It's basically the film Ti West wishes he could make if he'd been around in 1974, but its authentic 70s aesthetic is far superior to anything West has managed so far. I didn't quite make it to the end last night so I don't yet know whether Margot Kidder survives, so I've that to look forward to later.

Did Margot Kidder survive?

I just saw the new Batman movie, which isn't the kind of film that I usually watch (at all). With that said, it was actually a really good flick. Good creepy plot w/ solid special effects and cinematography and decent-to-good acting.

My last movie (on DVD) was The Importance of Being Earnest. I absolutely loved it. That one's in for many re-watches.

Other than that, I'm currently watching the Band of Brothers box. It's really a great series about WWII.

I saw Guilt Trip and thought it was great. I also didn't like the new Robin Hood.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Book And Reader mobile app

@ the Hobbit viewers :

I enjoyed the movie, but.... I thought I knew this story like the back of my hand and there were a lot of parts of that movie that I had no recollection of from the book. Did you guys think they added or "developed" a lot of pretty minor happenings into major story points? If so do you think it was to stretch this thing into 3 movies, or to tie in this movie a little bit more with the LOTR movies?

I think they included parts from The Silmarilion in it. And I think there were parts in the book that we didn't witness but were only told about after that they included in the movie too.

@ the Hobbit viewers :

I enjoyed the movie, but.... I thought I knew this story like the back of my hand and there were a lot of parts of that movie that I had no recollection of from the book. Did you guys think they added or "developed" a lot of pretty minor happenings into major story points? If so do you think it was to stretch this thing into 3 movies, or to tie in this movie a little bit more with the LOTR movies?
Like Landslide said, there are some bits from the Silmarillion, some bits that are extrapolated from half-sentence bits in the book, and a bunch that Jackson made up on his own. And obviously, the last trilogy did well for itself, and nobody dislikes making money. Three movies means at least 200% more money than one movie.

Back