• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Last seen...

I saw My Blue Heaven last
Steve Martin Says... "Yuh see, you guys see a problem,... I see potential"

helgi said:
But when saying what is and what is not excellent, you achieve a smallish charisma, and small suspicion that you are excellent, and this is all what you're all after, I think.
Perhaps you think too much? You seem to read a great deal into what is supposed to be a sharing of cinematic experiences. Your verbose rumination of what you consider to be our motives is not only flawed, but pointless. Perhaps you would do better to read a dictionary or, perhaps install a spell-check on your computer instead of reading our posts if they offend you so.

helgi said:
hey Mrs. Beer Wench, instead of saying 5/5, say that you give it a 1. That's how my proffesor would advise you! How lucky you are to hear it from an astute student such as I, who may forward his proffesor's wisdom at marry and in good spirit of sophmoric correction.
Firstly, I feel a certain sympathy for your professor, for he has much to teach you, for astute students generally check their spelling. Sophomoric correction, indeed!! Since you cannot spell it properly, I will also assume that you know not the definition of the word. For your sake, I will define it here to assist you from using it inappropriately in the future:
Sophomoric:
adj. inexperienced, brash, foolish
adj. asinine, senseless, daft
adj. stupid, half-baked, brainless, dumb

There are numerous synonyms for the word, but I believe you get the point. I hope this will assist you in the future. I too like to convey wisdom in good spirit.
helgi said:
Indeed, it shows that a worthy proffesor results in students who can instruct! You must delight that I speak so brilliantly to you! Chow!
Students who can instruct, but lack the ability to learn? Perhaps the idiom "Those who cannot do, teach" is equitable. Or, perhaps you would be wise to hearken the words of Abraham Lincoln who said, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

If you do not wish to enjoy movies, that is certainly your prerogative. However, there is no need for you to attempt to condemn those of us that do with such vapid condescension. And, for God's sake, if you wish to speak like a scholar, learn to spell. You simply discredit everything you type when you erroneously spell every other word.

Why is everyone so crabby here?

The movie I have seen most recently is The Darjeeling Limited, which got great praise for subtlety by one reviewer but didn't amaze me. You are like the three brothers, always sniping at one another, no one is ever satisfied. When they finally track down the mother they haven't seen for many years and reproach her for not attending their father's funeral, she has a simple answer. "I didn't want to go." Then she takes off again for parts unknown.

What's a crabby? :confused:

Crabby means bad-tempered, Tasku.

The film I most recently watch – re-watched – was Monty Python's Life of Brian.

He's a very naughty boy!

Runs out of steam a bit toward the end, but there really are some wonderful moments – the stoning and the People's Front of Judea v the Judean People's Front bits stand out for me. Iconoclastic.

Thanks Sybs. Live and learn. I thought it had something to do with Cadillac... :D

Life of Brian is okay, but Holy Grail is my absolute favourite. :cool:

"First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

I have both of those on DVD. I think it'll be time to pull them out and watch them again. Great flicks, both, but I also prefer The Holy Grail

"Look, you stupid bastard, you've got no arms left."
"Yes I have."
"Look!"
"It's just a flesh wound."

"I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries."

Classic!

I don't have them myself, but I've seen them a ton of times.

These quotes are so funny, I'm thinking I need to find the Holy Grail to my collection... :p

Watched Elvis: The Early Years (2005)

Kay, so out I went to the library. I had no need for another book on top of the five books that I was already reading, nor did I need to borrow a movie on top of the three movies (or four?) that I'm yet to watch. I went there to kill some time, because my bro was out shopping with his girlfriend and I couldn't get into his apartment - we had places to go together. So I went to the library to hide from the cold Nordic winter.

Anyways, I walked out with a book: George Orwell's Down and Out in Paris and London, and a movie - the one in the title of this post.

To save some kilobytes of the server and weary, bored eyes of the regular forum user, we move along.

I picked this movie, because I have a romantisised (sp?) idea of the world in the 1950's being a cotton candy wonderland; untouched, unspoiled, unpolluted, yet at the same time wealthy enough to support western lifestyle. And I also love rockstar movies of that era, and like some of the music (not Elvis particularily though). I loved the story of Johnny Cash in the movie Walk the Line. I have seen it numerous times, and this one seemed promising aswell.

And it was. Jonathan Rhys-Meyers plays a convincing Elvis and Randy Quaid plays his business minded manager. It starts of very much in the same way as Cash's story on WTL, with Elvis being a young boy dreaming of becoming a star and pushing his foot between the door of a small Nashville based record company. In the end he gets his chance and hits gold. He goes on tours and wins the hearts of the fans, as we all well know. His close relationship with his mother, although quite possibly accurately described, to me was a drag to the movie. His mother is an overly protective guardian of her son, and most of their scenes together are about his mom being worried for nothing and Elvis being a little mummas boy, sobbing on the phone and all that... zzzzZz

What I hoped to see in this movie, but did not, was the sad ending: the death of the King. Within the 2:40 runtime of the movie, we do see the beginning of his abuse of pharmaceuticals, but we do not see the sad end of it. Then again, the title says "Early Days", so there you go... atleast it saved Rhys-Meyers the trouble of gaining some pounds for his role.

Although a good movie, Walk the Line was way better, and remains one of my all time favourites.

Sorry for dragging it so long. Reading is voluntary. :D

Bananas

Perhaps you think too much? You seem to read a great deal into what is supposed to be a sharing of cinematic experiences. Your verbose rumination of what you consider to be our motives is not only flawed, but pointless. Perhaps you would do better to read a dictionary or, perhaps install a spell-check on your computer instead of reading our posts if they offend you so.

Firstly, I feel a certain sympathy for your professor, for he has much to teach you, for astute students generally check their spelling. Sophomoric correction, indeed!! Since you cannot spell it properly, I will also assume that you know not the definition of the word. For your sake, I will define it here to assist you from using it inappropriately in the future:
Sophomoric:
adj. inexperienced, brash, foolish
adj. asinine, senseless, daft
adj. stupid, half-baked, brainless, dumb

There are numerous synonyms for the word, but I believe you get the point. I hope this will assist you in the future. I too like to convey wisdom in good spirit.

Students who can instruct, but lack the ability to learn? Perhaps the idiom "Those who cannot do, teach" is equitable. Or, perhaps you would be wise to hearken the words of Abraham Lincoln who said, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

If you do not wish to enjoy movies, that is certainly your prerogative. However, there is no need for you to attempt to condemn those of us that do with such vapid condescension. And, for God's sake, if you wish to speak like a scholar, learn to spell. You simply discredit everything you type when you erroneously spell every other word.

Lots of people misspell here. I don't think we discredit ourselves. Is spelling a credential? I wonder what you think of those who speak broken english? Extend me the same gracious understanding!
..Is misspelling the greatest shortcoming of my post? Is my post flawed and pointless only for misspelling?
..You say I was reading too much into your posts maybe?, but you read a great deal into small misspelling, right?
..Abraham Lincoln's advice was for fools, but I am a genius, but not a scholar.

The last movie I saw was BANANAS, and when the firing squad is executing the war criminals, the cheering crowd is sitting behind the war criminals, so couldn't they have been shot if there was a miss?

..Abraham Lincoln's advice was for fools, but I am a genius, but not a scholar.

Calvin and Hobbes said:
- Right, you're TOO smart.
- Believe it, lady! You know how Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, MINE are even WORSE!

Anyway.

Kicking and Screaming. No, not the Will Ferrell movie, but the debut by Noah Baumbach (The Squid And The Whale). Now this was a fun, if not fantastic, way to spend 90 minutes. If you can imagine a cross between Animal House and Withnail And I you'd be... not necessarily close, but in the ballpark. Light on plot, heavy on character. A bunch of college graduates who, for lack of something better to do with their lives, keep hanging around after graduation trying to figure out what make of themselves now that they are supposedly adults, and how to relate to each other. It's about friendship, identity and all that crap, and it's often quite interesting. A little too quirky for its own good sometimes (even if Carlos Jacott's VERY neurotic character is a hoot) but very well-done and I'm looking forward to what else Baumbach can do without Wes Anderson messing up his scripts. 4/5.

Waitress. Another debut, this time by Adrienne Shelley - who unfortunately won't make any more movies and didn't even get to see this one released, since she was murdered shortly after completing it. So it would be nice to be able to say that it's a masterpiece... but it's not. It is, however, a very well-done little movie about a woman caught between two men and a job; the waitress who just wants to bake pies but instead finds herself pregnant with a husband she hates and, seemingly, no chance to get out of that situation. As a Firefly fan I love to see Nathan Fillion get some lead roles, and he makes a fun bumbling gynecologist/love interest, but Kerri Russel will never be a great actress and when she has to carry the whole movie, it ends up a little cheesy at times. Still, a smart comedy with some tricks up its sleeve, even if it won't change anyone's life. 3/5.

why is the calvin quote proper to pair with my quote? I am not a genius for not being a scholar. I am a genius despite not being a scholar. I am not arguing my genius by my not being a scholar. And even though you have taken my quote out of it's context, the isolated quote does not insist on genius by bad grades, so it cannot even be applauded how you misrepresent me.
..But you had to make a response with the appearance of self satisfaction because of the effectivness of my posts.

anyway (I am taking the trouble to be dismissive here, giving a finality to my above rhetoric, and transitioning back into the status quo of correspondence protocol)

last movie seen? Dragnet. Loved it. (see this is how you guys talk) a great, great flick. I mean, what can I say,...Tom Hanks + Dan Akroyd in a buddy cop film, it just doesn't get any better than that, does it folks?

Watched Elvis: The Early Years (2005)

Kay, so out I went to the library. I had no need for another book on top of the five books that I was already reading, nor did I need to borrow a movie on top of the three movies (or four?) that I'm yet to watch. I went there to kill some time, because my bro was out shopping with his girlfriend and I couldn't get into his apartment - we had places to go together. So I went to the library to hide from the cold Nordic winter.

Anyways, I walked out with a book: George Orwell's Down and Out in Paris and London, and a movie - the one in the title of this post.

To save some kilobytes of the server and weary, bored eyes of the regular forum user, we move along.

I picked this movie, because I have a romantisised (sp?) idea of the world in the 1950's being a cotton candy wonderland; untouched, unspoiled, unpolluted, yet at the same time wealthy enough to support western lifestyle. And I also love rockstar movies of that era, and like some of the music (not Elvis particularily though). I loved the story of Johnny Cash in the movie Walk the Line. I have seen it numerous times, and this one seemed promising aswell.

And it was. Jonathan Rhys-Meyers plays a convincing Elvis and Randy Quaid plays his business minded manager. It starts of very much in the same way as Cash's story on WTL, with Elvis being a young boy dreaming of becoming a star and pushing his foot between the door of a small Nashville based record company. In the end he gets his chance and hits gold. He goes on tours and wins the hearts of the fans, as we all well know. His close relationship with his mother, although quite possibly accurately described, to me was a drag to the movie. His mother is an overly protective guardian of her son, and most of their scenes together are about his mom being worried for nothing and Elvis being a little mummas boy, sobbing on the phone and all that... zzzzZz

What I hoped to see in this movie, but did not, was the sad ending: the death of the King. Within the 2:40 runtime of the movie, we do see the beginning of his abuse of pharmaceuticals, but we do not see the sad end of it. Then again, the title says "Early Days", so there you go... atleast it saved Rhys-Meyers the trouble of gaining some pounds for his role.

Although a good movie, Walk the Line was way better, and remains one of my all time favourites.

Sorry for dragging it so long. Reading is voluntary. :D

the wearied bored eyes of the regular forum user? geez, what grand nordic adventures you must be having in Finland!

the wearied bored eyes of the regular forum user? geez, what grand nordic adventures you must be having in Finland!

Once again I fail to understand what you're trying to say with your post.

Not that I really care to know anyways... :rolleyes:

Back