• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Laugh Out Loud Funny

Martin

Hi,

A simple question for you Book-Addicts out there. Here it comes.

Name the one book that made you laugh out loud the most times. I, also, am addicted to books, but I find books that actually make me laugh quite rare, so I hope you'll have some recommendations for me.

Can't wait, so think about it, hit the reply-button, and let me know.

Cheers, Martin :D

Laugh out Loud Books:
-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe Trilogy (actually it's five books) by Douglas Adams
-Dirk Gently by Douglas Adams
-The Ebenezum trilogy by Craig Shaw Gardner
-Big Trouble by Dave Berry
-Disc World Series by Terry Pratchett

The last book I read that made me laugh out loud was probably A Short History of a Small Place by T.R. Pearson. I also got some laughs out of Haven Kimmel's A Girl Named Zippy . And, of course, almost anything by Bill Bryson.

The Posthumorous Papers of the Pickwick Club, A spell for Chameleon, Chronicles of Avonlea (the story about aunt Olivia's engagement, to be more precise)

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy happens to be one of my favourite books, and it was the one I had in mind when I opened this thread.

It's nice to see that immediately several people also mentioned that particular one. Proves that it truly is a comic gem. Way to go, Douglas adams.

Another novel - or author, really - that makes me laugh is Tom Robbins, especially Jitterbug Perfume and Still Life With Woodpecker, anyone ever heard of him, or them?! If so, then I do not have to recommend him to you, and if not, I highly recommend him, his marvelous and wonderous prose will baffle and entertain you.

By the way, I heard somewhere that terry Pratchett, and in particular his Discworld-series, is/are a bit of a love-it-or-hate-it-deal. Is that really the case?

And, of course, keep the funny books coming, please!

Cheers, Martin :D

By the way, I heard somewhere that terry Pratchett, and in particular his Discworld-series, is/are a bit of a love-it-or-hate-it-deal. Is that really the case?

I really liked the Disc World books. They weren't as funny as Hitchhiker's but amusing. If you're unsure, try reading these books by Craig Shaw Gardner, I liked them better than the Prachett books:

-A Malady of Magicks
-A Multitude of Monsters
-A Night in the Netherhell

Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction by Tom Raabe made me fall out of my chair numerous times. And it's a subject all of us can relate to......:D

Inconceivable- Ben Elton
Actually woke the whole house up when i went into hysteric giggles at the "having it off on primrose hill" scene. Genius.

Wilt, by Tom Sharpe. Especially when it got to the part about the inebriated vicar attempting to read a message for help written on inflated condoms.

My Life and Hard Times, by James Thurber
Babies and Other Hazards of Sex, by Dave Barry

I started reading My Life and Hard Times on a commuter bus from New York to New Jersey a number of years ago, and had to put the book down because I was laughing out loud and other passengers were looking "quite askance" at me! The Barry book also caused tears, but at least I was reading it in the privacy of my home, with only my husband to see my reaction.

I agree that the Hitch-hikers series and the Dirk Gently books by Adams are very funny. I also find the Discworld books make me laugh out loud regularly!

Recently, I re-read the Adrian Mole books by Sue Townsend - they are absolutely hilarious!:D I don't know if these will have been published in the USA or elsewhere, as I think the humour and situations are quite British and I don't know how well they'd translate, but trust me, they are incredibly funny. :)

Just remembered: speaking of Sue Townsend, I should have mentioned The Queen and I, which is all about the English royal family trying to cope with living on a council estate on the dole! It's very funny and actually quite moving at times as you see how they cope in different ways with their circumstances. A classic.

Hi, I'm new here.
I remember reading a book called "The X-Bar" some time ago. I don't remember the author. It was published in the UK. It had a couple of scenes that were truly hilarious. Another older one (also don't remember the author) was "Ladies In Hades".
"Hitchhiker's Guide" was GRRREEAAATT!

Again, my aswer is a non-fiction book but this is too good a question to pass up.

"Winterdance, The Fine Art of Running the Iditarod" by Gary Paulsen. This is as funny as it gets.

Originally posted by BAHDog
Again, my aswer is a non-fiction book but this is too good a question to pass up.

"Winterdance, The Fine Art of Running the Iditarod" by Gary Paulsen. This is as funny as it gets.

I almost hurt myself reading this.
Damn funny but also a fascinating look at this insane race.

I was reading through this thread and noticed Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy is a favorite as far as humor. What kind of humor is in that book? like, who would it be appropriate to read? (age group) or is it more adult humor....?

HHGtG should appeal to anyone between 14 and 114, in my opinion. It has something for everyone who likes SciFi, and even for a lot of people who don't.

Back