• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Laugh Out Loud Funny

By the way, I heard somewhere that terry Pratchett, and in particular his Discworld-series, is/are a bit of a love-it-or-hate-it-deal. Is that really the case?

I have introduced all sorts of people to the Discworld series and so far ALL of them have loved it. You do have to be careful about where you start since there are several vastly different sub-series within Discworld and people may dislike one of them. The Witches seem to be aimed at female readers for example. The wikipedia site has a great chart that lays out which title involves which group, search for "discworld". But if you like the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy chances are high that you will like Discworld. Personally I would start with "Guards! Guards!".

My favorite laugh-out-loud author may be Patrick F Mcmanus. "They Shoot Canoes Don't They" is an excellent example. I have purchased everything written by him between 1978 and 1989 more than once, giving them away to people and then buying them again to reread every few years. I'm not even an outdoorsman but there is something universal about holding on for dear life while a deer tries to ride your bicycle down a steep hill. Or maybe it's just the way he tells it.

The last book that made me laugh out loud was "Gods Behaving Badly", by Marie Phillips. The concept of Greek Gods living in modern day London was genius, and seeing the gods interact with modern society was fantastic. Aphrodite (who works as a phone sex operator), was the greatest character. I laughed all the way through, except it must be an individual (or a girl) thing, cuz my husband never finished it, and found it to be poorly written.

Confessions Of A Shopaholic made me laugh out loud SEVERAL times. One hundred times funnier than Bridget Jones!

Really? Not for me. Bridget Jones all the way for laugh out loud funny.

Also The Bachelor Brothers' Bed and Breakfast is a riot. And anything by Will Ferguson.

Oh and I can't believe I forgot Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction by Tom Raabe. From the back of the book:

Have you ever awakened the morning after a book-buying spree, unable to remember how many you bought or how much you spent? Have you ever been reprimanded or fired for reading on the job? Have you ever purchased or rented additional living space -- just for your books? Then you, like me, are a biblioholic!

Back