• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Laura Esquivel: Like Water For Chocolate

Wabbit

Finished Like Water For Chocolate It was a great book! Very passionate, romantic and full of magic. She uses a lot of metaphor within the book. I like the constant theme in which she is saying that whatever you do, the emotion and intent that you put into it, will have a great effect on the product and those around you. I recommend it highly and will get some more books of hers :)

I haven't read this book in a while, but I LOVED it when I read it a few years ago. In fact I think I still have it around here somewhere, might be a fun re-read.

I just finished reading 'Like Water For Chocolate' by Laura Esquivel. It was a interesting novel - slighly strange in places, but also quite magical and romantic. I quite liked the fact that recipes and home remedies were incorporated into the story. It would be cool to try some of them out for myself sometime!

I agree--- it's absolutely magical but it seems so real. I really believe that there are people who can arouse that kind of passion in themselves. I rather enjoy her adjectives and her images in the book. I liked Tita and pitied her when her mother stopped her from living the life that she wants. The storytelling had a hint of lusciousness in it-- maybe because of the delectable food that the women in the stories usually bake? It's a great book that I have handy in my bookshelf all the time.

The heroine, Tita (?) is the youngest girl in a Mexican family with a strong matriarch at the head. Tradition states that the youngest girl must not marry but live out her days taking care of her mother. She cooks and cleans for her family (three or four sisters) and serves up exquisite Mexican dishes. She's a real romantic, very soulful and passionate and when she's cooking the food, she puts lots of feeling and emotion into it. Each chapter of the book begins with a recipe and the dish is served to the family during hte story. Tita falls in love with a young man, but of course she cannot marry, and the man she loves ends up marrying one of her sisters. I cannot really tell you any more without giving away the whole plot, but the book feels very magical and ethereal. It's quite a short book, but no words are wasted. It's very evocative.

This is on my To Read list. It sounds pretty interesting, so I think I might move it closer to the top.

I've been thinking that I need to read this novel again. It's been quite a few years since I last perused its pages. This seems to be one of those few books whose film adaptation is one that I like just as well as the book.

I haven't seen the film adaptation yet but I would surely love to.
I really enjoyed the book, the characters are so vividly fleshed out, Tita must be one of my favourite heroines.

Back