• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Lawrence Lessig: Free Culture

Occlith

Free Culture by Lawrence Lessig

Lessig believes creative works build on the past and that in order for us to keep creating, the public needs easy access to past ideas. Lessig gives examples of early technology in the USA and how legal decisions of ownership and licensing have affected culture. He then shows how the fear of technology by corporations and big interests has shrunk the pool of media available as public domain.

The writing style is informal, using layman's terms and stories to familiarize readers with copyright and the law. He covers many subjects such as: English book publishers; derivative works; the RIAA vs. p2p file sharers; the pharmaceutical industry; doujinshi manga; and his own experience of arguing before the Supreme Court.
The author offers some possible solutions to the problems presented in his book.

Free Culture is available in print and as a free download from:
http://free-culture.cc/freecontent/

wow, great link! Thank you :)

Sounds very interesting. I'll have to give it a read when I have the time.

Yeah, that does sound interesting. I'm planning on clicking that link once I've posted this message.

Update: One of the longest 31 seconds in my life has gone by, and I'm about to open the blessed file.

Back