• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Learning German

Bathory

My family and I are from Germany, but my parents moved when I was only three, obviously leaving me without the ability to speak German. The recent death of my Grandfather makes me sad, but not as sad as my parents who are still crying over the news. My grandfather and I never had a chance to "know" each other except by appearance, and what my parents translated back and forth. I am left without the knowledge of his childhood, his life as a Nazi soldier, and much much more. I am lucky to recieve many personal items of his, such as his diary. I don't want to lay more grief on my parents by blaming them for the language barrier. I feel I owe it to my family to learn this language so that they may have a Grandson, Nephew, etc, and not some kid who stands there smiling nervously while constantly replying "Ja!"

The sad thing is, I took two years of German in high school and made A+'s in both. We never learned anything useful besides "Hallo, Wie Geht's" "Aufwiedersehen" "Ich habe..." "Ich brauche..." and so on. The chapters of the book gives vocabulary words on things like tents, pipes, diapers, among other useless words to a novice. The reason I know so little from two years is the teacher didn't seem to care if you knew any words, but only grammar and conjugation.

I was thinking of finding a German book and translating it into English. The logic seems to be that surely common words must be repeated many times in a novel, and that constantly looking them up in a dicionary will make me remember them. In the past, I told my parents to only speak with me in German, but when you know so little,it only leads to confusion and frustration. This summer, I will be visiting Germany for two and a half months, and would like to talk everyone's ears off and vice versa.

Any suggestions?

No suggestions, only best wishes...

I have family in Vienna, Austria. When I went to visit them I used my cousins as personal translators. I'd feel lost without them if I was on my own.

What I would do is get a set of CDs or tapes for learning German conversation and listen to them over and over. I did this in the car with French before I went to France last year.

Though I didn't absolutely learn everything I should have, it trained my ear to understand what people were saying, which is, for me, a tough part. I can put a sentence together, but the response goes in one ear and out the other.

Pimsleur makes some wonderful language CD courses - they're basically focused on speaking the language (as opposed to conjugating verbs and deconstructing sentences) and they helped a friend better his Spanish before moving to Spain. They're not cheap, but well worth it & you get them from Barnes & Noble.

Another option is to try a night class at your local community college or high school. They may offer more intense lessons than you had in high school.

Good luck, and kudos to you for wanting to speak another language!

I wouldn't recommend just blindly translating a book. I tried doing this when I was studying French, after I'd been learning the language for about 5 years. (I was doing my A-level in French at the time, which is the part of school when you are aged 16-18).

Did I learn anything? Unquestionably: yes. But I learnt lots of vocabulary. I was already fairly proficient in French yet certain grammatical things and phrases perplexed me and it didn't make a whole lot of sense.

Maybe I just didn't have the knack for translation or even for the language, you might say. Wrong. I went on to do a degree in French & Spanish, and my translation classes saw me outperforming most of my classmates and hitting some of the highest grades. I loved translation, and I loved the French language.

The difference was just experience in the language, or at least that's the only thing I can put it down to. At university we did tons and tons of conversation, essays, translations, and basically living and breathing the language, and in my third year I went to France to do a compulsory academic year abroad.

My advice to you, and this might not be feasible, would be to do an intensive course in German. When I say "intensive", I mean go and do a course in a German-speaking country, whether it's 2 weeks, a month. For the Spanish-speaking part of my degree I spent a month in Spain and I would honestly swear by them. You get to learn to use the language in every day situations, and you will get on with your fellow students - these students will come from all over the world and with some of them the only common language between you will be the one you are studying. You can even get accommodation with a local family. Honestly, as intimidating as the thought it, they are truly valuable. But, of course, you require the time and money to be able to do it.

Viel Glueck! :p

Are there any community language courses offered where you are? They are often geared to 'conversational' foreign languages and might be a good start.

For example, around here there are lots of courses offered -- French, Mandarin, Cantonese, Spanish, German, you name it -- for people who want to learn languages for business or travel. They concentrate on speaking first, then grammar, reading and writing, later. Maybe this is what you should look for?

I really need vocabulary...

Here are some things I can think of doing:

>Get parents to speak to me in German only
>Get parents to recite phrases to me, like tapes
>Translate German books
>Travel all by myself to Germany to live with family who don't speak any English for two and a half months. (Already plan on doing this)
>Read a dictionary
>Make vocabulary flash cards
>**Take German in College (Depends, I don't want to fail and lose my scholarships)

I have considered tapes, but just doesn't seem worth the money when you have people who speak it living with you.

To Novella: Do you mean that responses sound like one long word? If so, I can recognize words, but can't understand them.

To Ell: I can take it in college, but I want to be fairly good at it before I take the course. I don't know of any other than that.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

**I don't start college until Fall

Bathory said:
To Novella: Do you mean that responses sound like one long word? If so, I can recognize words, but can't understand them.

What I mean is that when a French person speaks to me at their normal speed, I have to really tune in to separate the words and figure out what they're saying. It's much harder listening and translating than reading and translating.

Bathory said:
I really need vocabulary...
I think getting your parents to speak to you in German is a great idea. However, you need to answer in German, too. Are there any German shops or restuarants that you or your parents frequent? You could practice there and I'll bet if you tell them you're trying to improve your German, they'd be more than willing to help. The more you hear it and use it, the better you'll get.

Another idea: rent some German films with English sub-titles. It's a good way to practice your listening and vocabulary.

i'm german, so if you want i can help you!! as long as your parents help you with the speaking, i can help you with words, grammer, adn pretty much everything else!!
think about it adn good luck!!

I did four years of German at school and subsequently forgot it. I'm now coming to the end of second year German nightclasses and I can thoroughly recommend this way. I don't see the point in any book & cassette method as you are sitting there repeating sentences and phrases and not being able to practice them on somebody.

If you feel your problem is vocabulary then I recommend going through online German newspapers (such as Die Welt) and reading these. If you don't recognise a word, look it up, and make sure you know if it is masculine, feminine, or neuter (der, die oder das) as that will help with the grammar too.

Start a diary. At the end of each day, before going to bed, write a list of things that you have done in the past tense. Thinking about this will help you with conversation and help you to tell the difference between present and past tense. Present: Ich sprache Deutsch Past: Ich habe Deutsch gesprochen.

Try to learn five verbs each day. This will help to learn actions and will complement your growing vocabulary. Ich hole die Buch (I fetch the book)

In addition to the verbs, learn five adjectives per day. It will help you to describe things.

And everyday, practice with those speakers around you.

If you don't understand, say Ich verstehe nicht.

Stewart said:
Start a diary. At the end of each day, before going to bed, write a list of things that you have done in the past tense. Thinking about this will help you with conversation and help you to tell the difference between present and past tense. Present: Ich sprache Deutsch Past: Ich habe Deutsch sprochen.

I'd forgotten about this. Even when I was doing my most rudimentary French/Spanish/Portuguese, I used to write my diary in the language. I tried to get far too far ahead of myself and write complicated stuff, but it was worth it. The result is that I look back now at some of my early diary entries from when I was 14 and laugh my socks off at how bad my knowledge of the language/grammar was, but I definitely did learn a lot from it. Obviously no one else read the diaries so I was never corrected, but it gave me somewhere to practice my language (where I come from, I knew no one who was interested in languages and had no one to practice on: this was a good alternative) and eventually it improved. Even my early entries are far from unintelligible: you can get the jist of it, and sometimes the language is spot-on. I used to (and still do) write in my diary as if I were writing to someone, like a letter, but obviously everyone has their own preferences.

honeydevil said:
i'm german, so if you want i can help you!! as long as your parents help you with the speaking, i can help you with words, grammer, adn pretty much everything else!! think about it adn good luck!!

I'm an English speaker. I can help you with grammar and and. :D

thanks!! i'm sooo sorry for my spelling, i'm just always in a hurry, so i jsut type and don't read it over!!
and by the way!! pretty good german, but it is' ich hole DAS buch"!!
i'm pround of you, i'm even bad at german!! :D

I think a course 'in the flesh' is best, but also the most time-consuming and expensive way. Maybe chatting with a german speaker is possible (Honeydevil?). I used to chat a bit french with someone and it made me learn fast!

I also recently bought a french Harry Potter, part one and a german book by Suskind. Just reading in a foreign language makes you comfortable with the language. Sometimes reading out loud helps with the pronuncuation (what?! :eek: ). You should have a basic knowledge of the language I think for this methode to work. And it is best if you try a book you've allready read in english.

honeydevil said:
but it is' ich hole DAS buch"!

Thanks. I didn't have my dictionary to consult the gender and, for some reason, thought it feminine. Maybe it's the plural that is...

Thanks for the excellent advice Stewart!

5 verbs and adjectives a day wouldn't be too hard to remember.

I haven't been much of a diary guy, but if it will better my German, I shall give it a try.

Stewart said:
Thinking about this will help you with conversation and help you to tell the difference between present and past tense. Present: Ich sprache Deutsch Past: Ich habe Deutsch gesprochen.

Just a minor mistake:
Ich spreche Deutsch.

For me, the lessons I take in school are the best way to learn a language. I'm just not disciplined enough to work with book or CD language courses.

As Phedre already mentioned, you could start reading some children's books as soons as you have got a basic understanding of the language. This will definitely help you with your vocabulary and besides you get the feeling for the language.
This worked very well for me, especially with the English language. In French it's a bit harder, because the grammar is more complicated.

Oddly enough, my house contains no children books in German. I only have what my parent have read, Faust, Der Herr der Ringe, Lolita, and many more.

Back