• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Learning German

Anahorish said:
Berlin is one of the coolest cities I have ever been to.

berlin is awsome!! when you go to all this tourist stuff, it is totally normal, but if you go behind the houses and this stuff, you find artists, and old people... hmmm... i miss home!! :(

Bathory...

I've recently came across this article, and I wasn't able to put it in action because at that time I was leaving for Switzerland in a month, not a year. But here it is anyway: How I Learnt French in One Year.

Very interesting read. You may choose to apply it for German.

ds

And I want to chime in with my humble advice of things I find help me to learn another language and hope will help you too :)

I found certain things very helpful. Learning new words every day is good advice which is already been given. I wanted to add that it's helpful if those words are things around you. For instance im trying to learn spanish so I go outside and see the sky it's cielo. You can then add to that. It's a blue sky. Es un cielo azul. It's a blue and cloudy sky. Es un cielo azul y nublado. If you learn words of things that are around you all the time that helps a lot.

Also change your desktop into German! You will see the names of those things alll the time. It gets enforced in your head! Then change your bookmarks into German!

Another thing that helps me is songs! Songs are good for two reasons. If you listen to songs you can get the pronounciation of words and also you lyrics are very easy to remember ( especially if you like the song ) and can also give you translation practice. If you are listening to same German songs all the time you will be surprised how much you pick up.

Lastly, not sure if it's been mentioned but find a German person to talk with ( even if its just written ) because you can practice and ask questions which you will need to do. There are many pen pal and language exchange pen pal sites on the net. I don't have time now but ill post a few later.

hope that helps :)

I spent five years at school learning German and I can remember only enough to get me through about ten seconds of conversation - more evidence that attempting to learn a language in the limited environment schooling provides is hopeless!! I think the best method to learn a new language is to go and stay in a country where they speak for a length of time, and try everyday to go and converse with the natives in their language, not yours.

Incidentally, my best ever phrase in German - 'Wie komme ich am besten zum Bahnhof, bitte?' which means 'Where is the Train Station, please?' or words to that affect ... and thats what I get for five years study :rolleyes:

If you are listening to same German songs all the time you will be surprised how much you pick up.

Not the Hasselhoff, nooooooo!!!!!! :(

Phil :D

ARRRRGH! MY MIIIND!!! I just click on the last post and what did I find??? You've scarred my young impressionable mind! I'm *never* going to learn German!

ds

You can learn a lot in school, but unless you use it, or hear it often you quickly forget it. Most people learn English easiest because you cannot really avoid it. In most countries you hear/read english through music/tv/books/internet just about every day.

If you want to maintain your german skills you will probably have to practice it often.

Martin said:
You asked for it:

aimg134.exs.cx_img134_5980_hasselhoffianrecursion2rs.gif

Cheers

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Why GOD? WHY??????

I am scared for life. I hold you responsible Martin! give me a tenner as compensation! Oh, and I blame Phil for egging you on also. So Phil also owes me a tenner!

Is it okay to slap a moderator..? Or can't someone just ban him for making us watch that.. I think I'm damaged for life.

Oooooh.

Do you see me? Do you see me now? This is me, being wholly not impressed.

Cheers

If we make that a tenner in danish currency then it's not so much of a problem..
I vote that we slap Martin...

You're not impressed? What about me? I have seen David Hasselhoff in his pants! That's WAY beyond not impressed!

phil_t said:
Not the Hasselhoff, nooooooo!!!!!! :(
Phil :D
why do so many people think that all germans like this kind of music, i hate it and i don't really like beer (even if you need it to survive the Oktoberfest, but that's a differetn topic) and i certainly don't like hasselhoff!! :eek:

Back