• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Legend of Earthsea

Zolipara

I just watched this horrible miniseries and surfed the web a bit to see what Ursula Le Guin had to say about this mini. I came up with this comment:

http://www.slate.com/Default.aspx?id=2111107&

Quote: " I don't know what the film is about. It's full of scenes from the story, arranged differently, in an entirely different plot, so that they make no sense."

A statement i can fully agree with. Its been years since i read the earthsea books, but the mini was nothing like what i remembered. But then Ursula goes on and on about the skincolor of the characters. I cant say that i even remember what color skin Ged had in the books, it certainly didnt matter to me when i read them.

Do you think the skincolor of the main characters matters so much in this movie?

I was planning to watch the series until I read so many bad things about it and also read what Le Guin had to say on the matter! I avoided it :D

I can sympathise with her. She's created something and they have taken her baby and warped it beyond all recognition!

I found it really strange about her ranting about skin colour. She basically spent ALL the time she had ranting about it! To me, of all the things that would have bothered me that would be the least of them. I don't understand why she made such a huge issue of it. One comment I found to be even slightly offencive. It really put me off reading any more of her works. I don't think it matters what colour his skin is. Just in real life, I don't judge by the tone of his skin. Ged was the hero. He is every colour or any colour you want him to be. Most importantly, he was a man, and his skin colour isn't important. Le guin has some odd ideas as far as I am concerned :)

Okay, I was channel surfing when I accidentally saw Earthsea Ep 1 just starting on TV. Wowsers, I thought - what a find! I settled down to enjoy my all time favourite wizard. All the bad stuff said about the miniseries didn't deter me. I'm going to enjoy myself!

For all of 10 minutes.

The show, unfortunately, was horrible. I couldn't stand that so much of the story was changed, even from the beginning. Even my wife, who didn't read the books, lost interest, when Ged first started mumbling a spell at the onset of an onslaught on his village. There I was thinking that the hell this was, expecting a huge thunderclap or something and what happens??? A mist!!! I mean, c'mon!

I'm a HUGE Earthsea fan, and unfortunately I switched channels after 10 minutes. It was underwhelming, and poorly scripted. It was that bad. Sigh.

If that spoiled anything for you, and you'll never watch Earthsea again because of me, then you owe me big for saving you hours you'll never get back again. I like chocolates....

ds

Back