• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Lemony Snicket: A Series of Unfortunate Events

I read the first 6 of the series, and enjoyed them. I bought the first one to read and see if it was something that my younger sister would like. I was always trying to get her to read. Well she didnt read them and i read the first 6 and stopped after that. I haven't seen the movie because in my mind it just wouldnt be true enough to the story. But I thought that the series was a unique set of books that we're interesting for a wide age of children.

In my opinion these are the worst books i have ever read they were abismal and i have never been so bored if u are over 15 and enjoy reading at all u will be bored stupid i actually felt my IQ drop as i read these.

Dermotjpr said:
In my opinion these are the worst books i have ever read they were abismal and i have never been so bored if u are over 15 and enjoy reading at all u will be bored stupid i actually felt my IQ drop as i read these.
I started to read the e-book and I so far I think that they are great. I think that when you read them you have to remember that they /are/ intended for a younger audience, and so should be read as much. I don't think that there is anything wrong with a little bit of light, entertaining reading every now and then.

MonkeyCatcher said:
I started to read the e-book and I so far I think that they are great. I think that when you read them you have to remember that they /are/ intended for a younger audience, and so should be read as much. I don't think that there is anything wrong with a little bit of light, entertaining reading every now and then.
I would agree there is nothing wrong with a bit of light entertaining reading but in my opinion these are not light and entertaining.

Dermotjpr said:
I would agree there is nothing wrong with a bit of light entertaining reading but in my opinion these are not light and entertaining.
Would you mind explaining why? I'm not being snarky - just curious :)

I really do need something light after LOTR ( on third book now).

My hubby found it very difficult to enjoy a book, ofr ages after finishing the trilogy, he enjoyed them so much!!

I will give them a bash!!
It's good to see there is only one person (so far) who didn't enjoy them!!

I have only read the first of these books so far, and must admit i didn't enjoy it as much as i had expected too.
I found the authors explanation of words to be extremely annoying. I understand he is aiming at a young audience, but even so, if he felt kids would not understand the words he used, he should have substituted them for a simpler word instead.
This actually spoiled the book for me.

Did anyone else find this annoying?

Snowwhite said:
I have only read the first of these books so far, and must admit i didn't enjoy it as much as i had expected too.
I found the authors explanation of words to be extremely annoying. I understand he is aiming at a young audience, but even so, if he felt kids would not understand the words he used, he should have substituted them for a simpler word instead.

i certainly did. it made me feel as if i was reading a kiddy book

Snowwhite said:

Actually I thought that it was wonderful for the author to use words that children didn't know and then explain them. A bit of education while enjoying the story.

Pixi1021 said:
Actually I thought that it was wonderful for the author to use words that children didn't know and then explain them. A bit of education while enjoying the story.

i understand how its a good idea.. basically tricking kids into reading. but for me it just distracted me from the story. its a reason why i never got past the first book when i was 13ish.

oh I thought these books are so cute...only read the first few but they are a nice breezy read and I found them quite interesting

the movie was very nice as well :p

thought the books were hilarious specially the mailbox quote...have almost all of them the only book i never really seemed to like was the hostile hospital.

I absolutely LOVE these books! I read all 13 in less than a week! Although you do have to have a dry sense of humor to understand everything, but that makes them that much more enjoyable! Snicket's characters and descriptions made everything seem fun.

So basically I've been a fan of these books since I was 11. I first discovered them a couple years after he had started the series. Though I haven't read the last two books yet. :S
Interestingly there were only suppossed to be the first four books but I guess he thought that they were getting enough attention to get more into the series, that's why you start to see the plot thickening, making references back to earlier books, making things fit in with the whole VFD theme.
I really enjoyed the books, even as I got older and had to wait a year each in between books 7- 13.
Also a good read would have to be his Unauthorized Autobiography. It helps to connect a lot more in the series.
Yes, he defines words but if you'll notice he usually does it with certain words, some of them which aren't actually hard words but I think there's more meaning to that than just educating the young readers.
Yes, it's a "depressing" series. Yes, there are little rays of sunshine. I also think there's a reason for all of that.
Really I think there's a lot of hidden meanings and plots in the series that people just over look or don't want to dive into.
& I'm pretty sure the series was based in the late 1800's/early 1900's because of the things around the children, ie "automobiles", horse drawn carriages, remote mountains, carnivals, and the things they wear and the "justice" system.

Also good reads would be under Lemony Snicket's real name, Daniel Handler.

In my opinion so many adults read them,enjoy them/hate them; but seem to miss the whole point. They're meant to be depressing/annoying/ridiculous, the series is ultimate satire. Picking fun at humanity, in a refreshingly sarcastic way.^_^ It purposely exposed the faults in society. I mean think about it, the lives of the orphans just keep growing increasingly worse because the world of adults is to blind and absurd to act. Also I can't remember where I heard this; but somewhere I heard that the author really wanted to write adult literature, and that this series was just kind of an artistic prank (if you will) to get back at the publishers for "insisting" he write childrens. He purposely wrote something so depressing, and warped, because it was targeted at kids. "Corrupting" the world's youth might have struck him as a funny revenge. Again this may or may not be true, it just seemed to me like a fitting explanation. ^_^

I agree that most adults don't get the point of them. Not to be mean or anything, but I think it's true.

Back