• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Lesser Known Authors

Stewart

Recent threads with Kenny Shovel listing authors most of us have never heard of makes me want to start this thread. I've decided recently to branch out into the world a bit more and would like opinions, should anyone have read them, on the following authors.
Sadegh Hedayet
Olaf Olafssen
Sándor Márai
Horacio Quiroga
Yaşar Kemal
Jens Bjørneboe
Other recommendations, too. :)

Well, as you've 'named and shamed' me I'd better answer...

I've never heard of Sadegh Hedayet, Horacio Quiroga and Yaşar Kemal. Quiroga is the one that appeals most after a bit of investigation, as South American short story writers have a very good reputation; however apart from Jorges Luis Borges it's not an area I've really looked at.

Olaf Olafssen, Jens Bjørneboe and Sándor Márai are on my 'to be looked into list' but again, I've not got round to them yet, so I can't really help. Zolipara may be of more use to you in regards to Bjørneboe as he recommended him to me and suggested a few books to start with in this post:

http://forums.thebookforum.com/showpost.php?p=152360&postcount=8

Stewart said:
Other recommendations, too.

What are you looking for Stewart? Overlooked authors of merit? Writers from a different cultural background with insight into their way of life, and by comparison our own? Counter culture authors? Whatever that means.

K-S

I personally like Edwidge Danticat and Rosarrio Ferre. Danticat writes about Haiti and Ferre writes about Puerto Rico. I don't think either is popular or well known.

You might also want to check out the Olympic Challenge thread. There are some rather obscure and international authors on there as well.

I sadly have not heard of any of them. I would weep in despair, but since we are naming obscure authors...
Anne Rice, Laurell K. Hamilton, J.K. Rowling...I'M KIDDING, I'M KIDDING!!!! *avoids wave of rotten tomatoes being thrown at her*
David Gerrold and Susan Kay are very good, but no one's heard of them. Gerrold wrote the famous "Trouble With Tribbles" episode of Star Trek and Susan Kay wrote an excellent book called "Phantom" that was a new (better) interpretation of The Phantom of the Opera.

This website has a lot of information about Jens Bjørneboe in english. There are some examples of his poems and essays and also some excerpts from some of his novels.

As i wrote in the post Kenny refered to, the History of Bestiality is generally considered his best work.

Back