• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Let Downs

theoptimist

Ever heard great things about certain books and when you come to read them it isn't quite the case. Which books do you feel have let you down?

Ragtime by E.L. Doctorow. The book covers the late 19th century America, a time period that I just love. I got a hold of this book as people were raving over his latest one. I went home and read it, very disappointing. I might try and re-read it sometime, but right now, I have no desire to give old E.L. another try.

No I haven't. I had been looking forward to Remains of the Day. Now I'm not so sure. I just found Never Let Me Go to be predictable, boring. The writing was a pleasure, too bad it didn't go anywhere. Maybe it's just me. Like you said, you are with the majority.

ions said:
No I haven't. I had been looking forward to Remains of the Day. Now I'm not so sure. I just found Never Let Me Go to be predictable, boring. The writing was a pleasure, too bad it didn't go anywhere. Maybe it's just me. Like you said, you are with the majority.

I just bought Remains of the Day, it will be my first book by Ishiguro and I have really high hopes for it.

I was really disappointed with Blindness by Jose Saramago, the Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers and American Psycho by Brett Ellis, all I'd heard were great books from many but I just didn't like them.

Ronny said:
I just bought Remains of the Day, it will be my first book by Ishiguro and I have really high hopes for it.

I was really disappointed with Blindness by Jose Saramago, the Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers and American Psycho by Brett Ellis, all I'd heard were great books from many but I just didn't like them.
Wow, you just named 2 of my favourite books there, I can understand how not everyone would like Blindness but American Psycho? Wow! hehe. Just joking ;)

Hope you enjoy Remains Of The Day!

Ah, yes that's what my friends said :) I think it was all the labeling that put me off.

ions said:
While I did not exactly find Blindness to be a letdown I was expecting more of it.
I thought it was a slow read to be honest, but the storyline was great. Not really feasible, but that's fiction for you :rolleyes: but yeah, definitely got something out of it!

I'll third Blindness by Jose Saramago. Unnecessarily confusing, boring, and fell far short of the expectations I had for it after the rave reviews I had been reading. I did write a longer post explaining why I disliked it (somewhere :D )

Dune by Frank Herbert also turned out to be disappointing - I expected it to be a lot better, again because of the numerous rave reviews and recommendations. A good book, just not as good as I expected it to be.

Hmmm Dune. I greatly enjoyed that until the ending. So little happened for so long then there was a massive amount crammed into a short ending. I keep forgetting I read that and I only read it in February of this year. I certainly have no interest in reading the rest of the Dune books.

Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K. Hamilton.
I had expected to like Hemingway, so A Farewell to Arms was a HUGE disappointment. I was bored to tears and back again.

ions said:
Ions I have to say you should go ahead and read Remains of the Day. I could not even finish Never Let Me Go as one of the most deadly dull, ewwww flatly written books I'd ever picked up. However in spite of a certain amount of long windedness, I really enjoyed and got a lot out of Remains of the Day. No, I will (probably :rolleyes:) not pick up another Ishiguro (sorry if I mispelled....can't put my hand to the book at present). But I am glad I read Remains. JMO :)

Back