• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Let me introduce myself...

ecks

I live in New Jersey but come from Bulgaria. I loved reading all my life, although I have just rekindled my passion for books again. As much as I love reading, I don't really have too many friends that enjoy reading and have noone to discuss my books with. The genres I like are usually based on the way society works, and I mostly like sad books. Among the books I've enjoyed are Brave New World, Clockwork Orange, Catch 22. Lately, I've really been getting into Russian Literature, like Dostoevsky and Turgenev, because I'm half russian and have fun imagining what life was before. I hope I'll have fun at these forums.

Welcome to the book forum! :) Have you read 1984? I should think that's suitably depressing!

Yes, I've read 1984 as well as Animal Farm. I didn't want to point it out because I think it is a little too popular. The only book I haven't read in the "dystopia" genre is Fahrenheit 451 because it seems a little too simple.

'The telephone is only an echo in an empty room ... especially when there isn't anyone living there any longer...'

It's a poignant quote from 'A Season in Hell' by Jack Higgins. I think its a great line one that can say so much. Do you ever feel like that, especially in the wee small hours when the house is dark and still and silent? Sometimes you can feel like that even when you're walking through a crowded high street or even when the house is full; football blaring from the TV mingling with the sounds of joshing and laughter. It's not just longing and loss, its being unable to communicate as well. I love reading but I'd also love to hear other reader's views on the type of books I enjoy. .... Most thrillers, some romance but please not Ruth Rendall or Josephine Cox!!!! 'Hello!' Is there anyone out there?

I hear what you're saying, nighthawk. TV, other people's conversations, all seem alien to me sometimes, like it's something I could never understand. I could act like I do, but never really achieve it. Maybe I should reexplain what books I like, which are books with emotion, any kind of emotion. The stronger, the better.

Hi there!

Have you read Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood or I Am Legend by Richard Matheson? I think you would enjoy these books.

Cheers :D

Hey ecks! :)
I have borrowed some of the russian author Anton Pavlovitsj Tsjekhov's books. Have you read anything by him, by any chance?

No, I don't think I've ever heard of it, neither can I find anything by him on the web. Can you give me a link or tell me what kind of books he writes. The russian authors I'm interested in right now are Dostoevsky, Turgenev and Bulgakov. I'm not sure if I should pick up Tolstoy since I fear I might not be able to finish his books, and I've read Lolita by Nabokov and didn't like it at all.

Back