• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Let's Hear It For The Girls!

Stewart

This is a link light version of a post I made on last.fm.

The French playwright Marcel Archard once said that women like silent men because they think they're listening. Sometimes it pays to put witticisms aside and actually listen for once as there are a number of women out there making music that's worth being silent for, whether its for their art, their voice, or their themes.

At the time of writing my top fifty artists on last.fm only contains thirteen instances where a female, whether solo or fronting a band, is actually singing. So, to set things straight, there follows a list of the women who make music that I go silent to in order to listen.

My primary preference when it comes to women making music is when she accompanies herself on the piano. The obvious women that spring to mind here are Kate Bush, Tori Amos, and, of late, Regina Spektor. These three artists have kept me in quirky songs for sometime now and, while I feel Bush has lost it along the way with Aerial, there's no denying how influential she was back in the 1970s and 1980s.

Amos and Spektor, despite their musical similarities, work well as opposites. While the former has a considerable back catalogue of songs and musical experiments where the lyrics can be deeply personal and expressive, the latter's output tends towards a rawer style with fictional stories told over the compositions. Spektor, with recent album Begin To Hope has taken a bit of a new direction (i.e. traditional structure) and it seems to be bringing her more success. A good thing, of course.

But that trio aren't the only women tinkering with the ivories that I've developed an ear for. Others include sometimes band member of Antony and the Johnsons, Joan Wasser, under the name of Joan As Police Woman (not only can she play piano, but violin and guitar also). There's Fiona Apple and, touching on the burlesque there's Jill Tracy. A recent discovery for me, through last.fm, is Polish singer, Gabriela Kulka, who reminds me of Kate Bush. Only a darker shade thereof.

Although contemporary classical music is a road I rarely tread, I've become quite interested in the exemplary piano work of Aziza Mustafa Zadeh. And it wouldn't be a trip into piano world without a passing mention of Greek-American experimentalist, Diamanda Galás. Scary woman. But ultimately worth a listen, despite probably being to the tastes of 0.0000000000001% of the piano listening population.

Sticking with girls and their own instruments there are those that, while not playing piano, play something typically unexpected. Joanna Newsom, for example, records with a harp. Isobel Campbell plays the cello.

My favourite female performer is Björk. Her music over the years is impressively varied and, since leaving KUKL and The Sugarcubes behind she has pushed her own musical boundaries along an interesting electronica route to last album proper, Medulla, a collection of vocal layerings with some contributions from Canadian throat singer, Tanya Tagaq and Mike Patton of countless bands, including Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, and Peeping Tom. Björk's next album, Volta, appears to be a move away from all out experimentalism and a move back to the mainstream.

Aside from Björk, Iceland has also given us Emiliana Torrini, who after stints with early band, Spoon, and GusGus, she found a market with Love in the Time of Science. Aside from performing her own work she has also written for others, notably Kylie Minogue. (Incidentally, I still think Kylie's best contribution to music is her duet with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds back in 1996.)

Scandinavia, of course, hasn't just given us Björk and Torrini but other notable singers hitting my playlist from this area include the underrated Stina Nordenstam, Annie, Nina Persson of The Cardigans (first album, at least), Lene Marlin and Monica Zetterlund.

But why should Scandinavia have all the fun? Answer: it shouldn't. And so to France which has a history of some fantastic pop, be it Francoise Hardy in the 1960s or Alizee in recent years. I also like France Gall's 1965 Eurovision winning song (for Luxembourg) but that's probably because I'm a fan of almost everything that Serge Gainsbourg ever made. That doesn't include his daughter, Charlotte Gainsourg, however, as I find her music perhaps too boring. But the recent output from her mother, Jane Birkin, especially Arabesques is worth a listen. French music has also been a big influence on American singer, April March, who has covered a number of French classics. My favourite French singer at the moment is Francoiz Breut - she may not write her songs (Dominique A writes a great deal of them) but she can interpret them well.

Sarah Nixey is another singer that didn't write her own lyrics while singing for Black Box Recorder. But her voice (ever so cold) as she sang Luke Haines' lyrics interpreted them perfectly. Other girls in bands worth mentioning are Hope Sandoval of Mazzy Star, Alison Shaw of Cranes, Róisín Murphy of Moloko, and Jo Mango of, er, Jo Mango.

And girl groups don't all have to be as annoying as Spice Girls or as crap as Tampasm. Of course they don't. Be it the edgier rock of Babes In Toyland or Kittie, the quirky music hall nostalgia of The Ditty Bops or 1960s influenced The Pipettes or the electronica of Tatu, Chicks On Speed, and Cibo Matto. If it weren't for the fact there was a guy in the group I'd include the fantastic Cansei de Ser Sexy who if you haven't heard of them by now, you no doubt soon will.

Girls and guitars - what a combination! Ani DiFranco, Kiristen Hersh (of Throwing Muses, KT Tunstall, and PJ Harvey. Not to mention Eva Cassidy, Laura Veirs, Martha Wainwright, and Holly Golightly. They speak for themselves.

The list of women who make (or have made) good music just goes on and on. And on. Whether it be the soul /jazz of Norah Jones, Madeleine Peyroux and Amy Winehouse, the country styles of Gretchen Wilson and The Wreckers, the Latin groove of Bebel Gilberto, the trip hop of Portishead and Ruby, the pop of Nancy Sinatra and Utada Hikaru, the glossolalia of Enya, the Arabic flavours of Natacha Atlas and Ekova, the weirdness of Cocorosie and Nina Hagen, the fok of Vashti Bunyan, Karine Polwart, and Kate Rusby. Truly the list goes on.

I'll get back to this, but just a quick note to say "Yay!" at your mention of Monica Zetterlund. Always nice to see someone outside of Sweden noticing her - one of the best voices of the 20th century, and an intriguing life as well... I really need to read her autobiography at some point. RIP.

I'll get back to this, but just a quick note to say "Yay!" at your mention of Monica Zetterlund. Always nice to see someone outside of Sweden noticing her - one of the best voices of the 20th century,

Certainly, especially when she is singing I New York. Fantastic. It would be nice to hear more of her work since it's not exactly the most accessible over here.

It would be nice to hear more of her work since it's not exactly the most accessible over here.

I'll get back to you on that. :)

OK, so...

Speaking of Scandinavians, Ane Brun (covering PJ Harvey here), Hello Saferide and Jenny Wilson deserve mention too, IMO.

Patti Smith will always be one of my favourite artists, all categories. She used to have this incredible ability to use words like John Coltrane used music - taking a simple riff (whether "Gloria" or one of her own compositions) and then stretching and improvising around that until it just... transcends. Everything. Not to knock her comeback albums which are still occasionally great, but they rarely have that dervish/shaman-like quality of her early work and it's Horses and Easter that will never leave my playlist.

Including Gillian Welch might be cheating a bit since she's 50% male. That sounds wrong, let me start again. Gillian Welch is the name of a band made up of Gillian Welch and David Rawlings. But since Gillian is the face of the group she gets the credit, so... Anyway, if she puts her name on songs like "Revelator", "Orphan Girl" (covered by just about everyone), "Caleb Meyer", "The Way It Will Be" and "I Dream A Highway" (ironically considering the lyrics, the song Johnny Cash was working on a cover of when he died) and performs them in that haunting, stripped-down, two-voices-two-guitars way, I find it hard not to name her the greatest living country songwriter.

Then I listen to Lucinda Williams and find myself wondering if that's true. She'll be celebrating her 30-year-anniversary as a recording artist in a couple of years and she just released one of her best albums to date - earthy, bluesy, honest music that never had the edges polished. She can do beautiful ballads and she can rock out... plus, you gotta love it when actual adult women sing about sex.

More cocky almost-but-not-quite-country girls: Michelle Shocked is mostly remembered as a one hit wonder ("Anchorage", anyone?) but the rest of her work is very worthy of mention too. And Laura Veirs can be really fucking great too. (Yes, I see now that Stewart already mentioned her. But speaking of Martha Wainwright, how about her mother? The McGarrigle Sisters have the perhaps most haunting 2-voice harmony sound ever. Here they are with the great Emmylou Harris.)

Electrelane is one of my favourite bands to come out in the past few years. Four girls from Brighton playing jazz/kraut/punk hybrid songs - frequently instrumental - and rocking like hell. Again, hard to find on youtube, but here's a cool live performance if you wait for the French chick to stop talking.

Nico almost feels wrong to mention, not because her music doesn't deserve it but because her career was one of the best examples of people who should probably never have gotten into the music business at all for their own good. But her first four solo albums, from the deceptively cute Chelsea Girls to The End which is so far beyond pop music that I really don't know what to call it are SCARY.

(And speaking of Velvet Underground alumni, Moe Tucker's solo career is interesting too. Where Lou Reed and John Cale have gone off in very different directions, Moe has stuck to the 4/4 Bo Diddley-esque garage punk side of the band.)

And to think I didn't even mention mixed bands like The Knife, The Breeders, Sonic Youth... Damn you, real life! But last mention to... well... OK, I'm a child of the early 80s, alright? Here's Joan Jett and the Blackhearts!

More cocky almost-but-not-quite-country girls: Michelle Shocked is mostly remembered as a one hit wonder ("Anchorage", anyone?) but the rest of her work is very worthy of mention too.

I remember seeing Michelle many years ago playing a couple of songs off her new album, whatever it was, and I always remember her doing a song called Homestead. I'll need to trace that, as I really liked it.

And to think I didn't even mention...

That's the thing, you can just keep on going and going and never remember everything. Hanne Hukkelberg, for example. Or Beth Gibbons (from Portishead). Or The Be Good Tanyas, as I was reminded. And so on.

I remember seeing Michelle many years ago playing a couple of songs off her new album, whatever it was, and I always remember her doing a song called Homestead. I'll need to trace that, as I really liked it.

That's off her album Kind Hearted Woman, which just about killed her career - the record company wanted a happy uptempo album with hits, she delivered a somber, bleak album about hard-working widows and dead children, and the end result was that she's been paying out of her own pocket for everything she's released since... that suing-your-own-record-company ploy is difficult enough if your name is Prince or George Michael. Great album, though.

Fav Female Artist? Mmm, difficult. I keep coming back to Mary Margaret O'Hara. In fact, I think I'm gunna settle for that...

Lucinda Williams is great! Her masterpiece will always be Car Wheels on a Gravel Road, one of the best discs of the 90's. They played one of her new songs, Are You Alright, last nite in the final minutes of House, M.D..

I would also add Iris Dement to the list , though her plaintive Appalachian wail is an acquired taste, I love it. She released 2 great discs in the 90's, Infamous Angel and My Life. Here's a taste: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVsOewC8GAE

Back