• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Letter Writing and Pen Palling

I had penpals from other countries when I was a little girl, but they never lasted long. I guess, because of lack of discipline on my part! Now, I have a few really good email pals that we'll sometimes drop a special little something in the postal mail here and there for each other.

I did when I was 16 & 17. In the summer of '99 me, my family, and my friend went to Vienna, Austria (I also have family there too). My mother's friend's kid & I got along. When I went back to the US, he and I kept in touch (writing a letter every month). But after a year, I got really busy with my last year in high school. We email every now and then (email always seems so impersonal).

i had 2 penpals when i was around 17. one from Australia (South Penrith), she lasted for about 2 years, then she got married, had a kid and i never heard from her again. the other i had was from Norway. she lasted about 6 months. back then, email wasn't a regular thing (at least not for me) so maybe that is what contributed to the demise of the penpal relationship. lol

my best friend has been living in Japan for almost 2 years. if it wasn't for email, we would hardly ever write. i LOVE snail mail, but it's hard to find the time for it- not to mention envelopes and stamps and finding a postbox. lol how lazy i sound!

I am not sure that I can say that I have had any penpals, exactly, though I have to admit to being a compulsive letter writer for 20+ years. The reason for the hesitancy is that I was friends with all my "penpals" before I started writing to them. The people have changed now and then, but I've alwasy seemed to have 3 or 4 regular correspondents. (I've also kept a photocopy of every letter I've ever written. It takes the place of having to keep a diary.)

SillyWabbit said:
If anybody is interested then in finding a pen pal then let me know. I have a few really good web sites to find both letter and pan pals ( key pal ) friends in other countries.

I know you wrote this ages ago but hey ... could you recommend some good sites to me? I seem to google for hours, subscribe or whatever to some site and get nothing out of it :(

I've always wanted a letter pal in Japan

Alice

Back