• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Library Books

The only thing that bothers me about library books is if the book has been in a smoker's house recently. (Sorry forum smokers :eek: ) So I have to put it aside for a few days to let it "air out".

The most icky image of sex on books is where some guy squirts on a big pile of library books.

This is not me trying to hit on you guys.

Gizmo said:
Just imagine lying in bed with a nice book in your hands. Then a very handsome, sexy and willing young man enters the scene.
Do you really have the time to put a bookmark between the pages and carefully put it on your bed side tabel??? Or do you just surrender to wild love making while the book stays entangled in the sheets by your side?
:D :D :D

Not wanting to risk a corner accidentally jabbing something...important... I vote for a book-be-damned fling to the other side of the room.

somewhat said:
I have one brother and he is definitely not normal. He's been a bookgeek since way before me, because he was born before me. But he doesnt live at home because he is nineteen and attends this spacetech college somewhere far away. He's way more worse than me.
I see, so I'm sorry but you have to endure it (but you can always point out that your brother is worse :D ).

Wow, I've missed a lot here. :eek:
Sex on library books. Pooping on library books, boogers on library books.
I'm shaking my head in disbelief. :D
Well, maybe a hundred years ago when there were no flushable toilets, a book was a pretty handy toilet roll, but nowadays?
I just can't see any one with an IQ above 75 desecrating a book in any fashion. It just goes against the laws of "common sense".
:rolleyes:

And yes, I guess I love my library even more, because the worse that I can remember being left on a book page was a coffee cup ring or a few pencil edits.

I've recently had to check out piles of books from all the libraries around town (the public library, the university library, and the children's library)....I didn't have any books with stains on them. I was worried about potential stains, but thankfully there were none to be had to spark my imagination. And I even checked out loads of children & YA books (I'm talking about 50-60 books in a month and a half).

It would be completely impractical for me not to use the library - the amount of books I use for just a few chapters, each costing upwards of £30. I've never had problems with stains, hairs, smells - apart from general, musty old book odour. The only thing that really, really annoys me is people writing in the books. Or pages being torn out. I found a nice book on the history of Guinness advertising the other day, and some retard had been through and cut some of the images out :mad:

I can't remember the last time I went to a public library :eek: (Its easily over 10 years ago, probably more - I only remember using it as a child) - I did use the library at University but even then it was for Journals and Periodicals. I always bought all the books I needed (I have several books that have cost me in excess of £50 - £60 and only read once - some I've never read at all :rolleyes: - mainly course books) I always buy any fiction books brand new.

I will probably go vote at the library in the next few days. Perhaps I'll be inspired to pay my library fines from several months ago. :eek: But maybe I'll just browse through their books on sale for a quarter.

Ice - You must have a terrific, well-paying job! How you can afford all this, plus maintain a roof over your head is saying a lot about you.

As for me, a library is such a blessing because it is FREE. You can't sneeze in this life without someone asking you to pay for the space of the sneeze. :rolleyes:
I'm inundated with charities, family obligations, taxes, taxes, taxes (I'm Canadian - they inject taxes in our bloodstream at birth).
So, when I walk into a library and breathe that delicious book smell, and gaze wonderously at all the FREE gifts of words available to me when I want, I'm in heaven.
:D

quotagirl said:
Ice - You must have a terrific, well-paying job! How you can afford all this, plus maintain a roof over your head is saying a lot about you.
I wish :D No - I bought most of the really expensive books whilst at University, which I paid for out of my student loan :p (Though I do still have to pay this back :rolleyes: )

Another smart thing about our library is the community's involvement with young people. We've just built a skateboarding area, because we have a lot of budding "Tony Hawke" 's :p
Once they've broken their ankles enough times, maybe they'll recuperate better by reading a classic or best-seller. :D
This is right next door, combined with an outdoor skating rink, and a theatre of the arts. So, whatever your pleasure, there it is.

somewhat said:
Ew, what if it was poop? :mad:

Anyway, I'm no good at delivering my books in time either. (When I still were using the library that is.)
lol....that would have to mean that someone was using the book to wipe... :eek:

Some of the stains in the library books make me wonder sometimes. Especially if it's a children's book. You never know what those filthy creatures can do.

I'm inundated with charities, family obligations, taxes, taxes, taxes (I'm Canadian - they inject taxes in our bloodstream at birth).
So, when I walk into a library and breathe that delicious book smell, and gaze wonderously at all the FREE gifts of words available to me when I want, I'm in heaven.
What do you think the library is funded of? There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Bacon bookmarks

Speaking from experience as a Librarian, we have found people use the oddest things as bookmarks - toilet paper (not used), strips of bacon, and I have been told that a member of staff found a used condom in a book once... :eek:

I must say tho. that most books here don't stay on the shelves if they are stained - we try to maintain a standard of quality to our books.

I love the library in my town!
Actually, the employees know me all by name.
It's pretty small, but they can get me nearly everything I want: books, cds, dvds. :)
I just love to go in there, have a little chat, walk along the shelves and pick up some books, sit down and read a chapter or two.

And I never paid anything for that, except for the obligatory box of chocolathes at christmas. ;)

Fortunately, my county regional libraries don't have books with stains on them. Well, there are too many copies of a single book from our libraries so I can choose a clean one if the first one I pick up is full of stains! :p

My "ick" factor goes up if I find a hair in the book, and if it falls out, I cannot get up from my chair until I have found this foreign hair and disposed of it. If I can't find it, I vacuum. I used to wet a paper towel with rubbing alcohol and wipe the Brodart covers. You'd be surprised how much dirt comes off them. I think I'll start doing that again.

Back