• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Library

MobiusX

As some of you know already, I moved to Georgia from New York two years ago.
The library in this county I live in right now changed the time limit for using computers from unlimited to one hour a day. That really sucks since one hour is obviously not enough time. It's not like I can even save up all my hours I did not use the whole week and use them all in one day. I already filled a complaint form. What else can I do?

Our library has always been on the one hour program. It's a challenge, but if you prioritize, it can be done. Then, once you're kicked off the computer, you can look around for all the book ideas you got from this forum...

Would you want to wait forever for someone to get off of the computer so that you could use it? I think that the one hour limitation is quite reasonable.

The thing that bothers me about the public library is those patrons who positively reek of a foul stench and stand in front of the movies, mainly the DVDs. I was working there these months since January and I always had to go past them on my way to reshelf books or videos. I so wish I had a bottle of that body spray perfume on me because I would have been using it on these people and not cared what happened. When you smell bad enough to make other people sick, that's just terrible. I also have a sensitive sense of smell.

At the local library here we also have the one hour rule. I honestly couldn't imagine allowing any more time unless the library had about 50 computers available. Most of the computer users at the library here just use it to chat with people, which is kinda... scary lol. The best way to solve the problem is get a computer of your own, for sure.

Well, I don't see how allowing more time is fair to other people. Since there are lots of people who go to use the computer at the library. You should be happy they don't charge.

I remember before I got a computer they only allowed thirty minutes, sure it wasn't enough time and I didn't get anything done, but you have to give everyone enough time to use it. It's only fair.

I agree with Pearl on this issue and some of the others that have responded to your topic. The public library is exactly that public. And anybody who has a library card for whatever system you are using and therefore they should have access to the computers equally as you do. I also have to agree why you couldn't go to an internet cafe instead. As you probably live in New York City, there are probably plenty of internet cafes that you can go to that would gladly give you the amount that you want and would likely like to have your money at the same time :cool:

People use the computers for all kinds of things in the library, mainly accessing the library's catalogues and the databases that they offer their customers. So as a result, they can't allow you to use their computers for hours on end.

My advice to you: get your own computer. Clearly you need one. :p

We've always had an hour time limit here, but what really helped me get around this was getting my own computer. ;)

But, if you can't get your own, try leaving and coming back later in the day to get on again if no ones around. And if it's not busy and a computer isn't in use and it doesn't look like its reserved you could always ask the librarian nicely for some more time.

First of all, they did not have a time limit last year. This began this year in Jan. because construction was added to the library. That is the only reason they changed it to have a time limit. Second, I can only use the computer once a day even though we have 40 computers and no one else is using them. Third, I can only use the computer for 1 hour a day. I have to enter my library card number. They time you and everything. If you try to use it longer than 1 hour, it will not work.

If you depend on a public library for internet access, then your time will be really limited. You will not be able to install chat clients like mIRC. Too bad you cant get dial up access from your home, or cable, or wireless wi-fi access. I wonder of NetZero dialup is available there for $10 per month... that is the cheapest one I know of.

If you have a job, you can get a computer for really cheap nowadays. It might not be exactly what you want, but it'll get you online. And internet access isn't even that much. Well speaking dialup-wise. Cable is pretty pricey, but reliable and you're always connected unless they are doing work on the lines, that's the only time you won't have access.

Then there is DSL. It is MUCH cheaper than cable and just as fast, only thing is you can't really be hooked up to a wireless router unless every computer shares the same phoneline as you do. My sister tried that, she lives downstairs and I live upstairs so we have different phonelines. Cable is the way to go if you want to share an internet access without having to pay extra.

Some pretty sound advice so far. Most places will work with you on payment plans and that kind of thing if you want to get your own computer. The value drops kick with every year that passes. I fail to see why you couldn't afford to get a computer that is three or four years old with simple hook-up. Might be worth looking into. Does the library have computer training sessions? That might be a neat thing to try. Personally, I've always been interested in learning how to do web design. I'd do it if I had more time.

one strategy i use when there is a limited time for computer use: i borrow the id numbers and passwords from people who do not need the computers at the library.
or, for example, i cannot come at the library on mondays and tuesdays, and i know another student who works on fridays and saturdays. so he can use my id and password on mondays and tuesdays and i get an extra hour on fridays and saturdays.

aniela said:
one strategy i use when there is a limited time for computer use: i borrow the id numbers and passwords from people who do not need the computers at the library.
or, for example, i cannot come at the library on mondays and tuesdays, and i know another student who works on fridays and saturdays. so he can use my id and password on mondays and tuesdays and i get an extra hour on fridays and saturdays.
That's great, until they catch you doing it. (And eventually someone will notice you were on more than an hour.) You'll get in huge trouble. Maybe even not be allowed to use the library and/or computers again.
I say, best to go out and get a computer if it bugs you so much. Even a cheap one would do the job. Then you won't have to go to the library to use them and you won't have a problem.

Where I live, there are time limits, though if it'd dead, they don't mind if you go *over-time.* Most places are reasonable under the right circumstances.

SFG75 said:
Where I live, there are time limits, though if it'd dead, they don't mind if you go *over-time.* Most places are reasonable under the right circumstances.

The Library I used to go let me do that all the time. But then again, back then it wasn't automated like it is today. You just signed your name and if no one showed up after you, you got to stay on until someone did.

Once I came in at 9 am and no one else showed up to use it until 1 pm. That was pretty sweet.

Back