• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

list of favorites

nnicc

being new here i've just bumped some old threads of writers i consider favorites
instead of going through an awful lot of bumps i'll just list those i consider faves,most of whom i've read multiple times
i probably average 70/80 books a year

cormac mccarthy
just discovered,
in the midst of reading all
the road twice

john d macdonald
i've read each of the 21 travis mcgee books at least 3 times,some as many as 10
i keep them around for lazy days with bad weather when i can't make it to the library when i need an afternoon of pleasure

elmore leonard
all books,most twice,some old ones a few times

james ellroy
everything twice

john sanford
everything,a few twice

lawrence block
everything at least twice

Lauren D. Estleman
everything,some twice
and i have to go edit in 'the undertakers wife' in the depressing/crying thread

larry mcmurtry
everything,the lonesome dove trilogy twice

ed mcbain
everthing except some very old 87th precinct books i can't find

david lindsey
all

t jefferson parker
all

jeffrey deaver
most,all the early books

hmmmm
i'm sure there are more,but the mind is blanking

these aren't the only folks i read,just some of those i look out for

edit: will edit in others as they come to mind

I join you in enjoying Ed McBain and John Macdonald. At one time I tried to collect all the Travis McGee books and read them in order.

Have you tried any of the following?
P. D. James
Dorothy Sayers
Tony Hillerman

re

tony hillerman,one i forgot and couldn't edit back in

tried some pd james,must not have gotten into it for i never went back

d sayers,never tried
i just might set off a gender war here,but for whatever reason i have a hard time with female writers
have tried many,they just don't click with me

this may be politically incorrect,but i just can't help it
i'm not sexist,have done singleparenthood for 15 years for a now 24 year daughter,honors degree in literature, who still lives with me

i went out of my way to raise her as an almost radical feminist

Well, there are many books I liked, but I just can't put them in order of likeness. So here it goes: a) The Price of Salt (aka, Carol, ), by Patricia Highsmith; b) The Red and the Black, by Stendhal; c) The Girl with the Golden Eyes, (aka La Fille aux yeux d'or), by Balzac; d) Germinal, by Zola; e) Lord Jim, by J. Conrad; f) Memento Mori, by Muriel Spark; g) In the Penal Colony, The Trial, by Kafka; h) The shining, by S.K.; i) Lost Horizon, by J. Hilton; j) Shalimar the clown, by Salman Rushdie; k) The quiet american, by Graham Greene; l) Les Chemins de Katmandou, (aka, the ways to Katmandu), by Barjavel; m) The razor's edge, by W. S. Maugham; n) The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini; o) Workers of the Sea, by Victor Hugo.

And there are two books I've read that I cant forget not because I liked them but because they're awful: Dead Zone and The Hunt for Red October, respectively by S.K. and Tom Clancy.

Oh, and there are also many books by authors form my land that I'm quite sure they are not known in overseas: Elite da Tropa, O Criminalista, O Cortiço, Terra Papagalli, São Bernardo, Lucíola, A Hora da Estrela, Venha Ver o Por do Sol e Outros Contos, alguns contos de Machado de Assis (Teoria do Medalhão, A Cartomante, A Causa Secreta, Missa do galo, A Igreja do Diabo, Pai Contra Mãe), A Droga da Obediência, Sangue no Asfalto, etc.

Back