• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Litany's Genre Swap v 2.0

Are you participating in Genre Swap 2.0?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Litany's Genre Swap

Hi Brk-3: Am I supposed to ask you about the books you normally read and then suggest ones which aren't in your normal reads? momac :confused:

Genre swap

yea.

I will send you a private message

Have replied to your message - hope you get it - I couldn't seem to get out of the private message page - am a real novice with this sort of thing so I hope it all falls into place. Will get back to you soon. momac :)

Genre Swap

Hello again Brk 3: Here are some suggestions for you to mull over. Let me know if any are o.k. and what you choose if you do choose. A Farewell to Arms, Ernest Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Ernest Hemingway, The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck and East of Eden, John Steinbeck. If no good I'll go back to the drawing board. All the best. momac :D

Hello again Brk 3: Here are some suggestions for you to mull over. Let me know if any are o.k. and what you choose if you do choose. A Farewell to Arms, Ernest Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Ernest Hemingway, The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck and East of Eden, John Steinbeck. If no good I'll go back to the drawing board. All the best. momac :D

thank you momac
I will look at all these suggestions and will pick one to read. However, I am not sure I will finish up on the swap book that I choose before July.

Genre Swap

Hi Brk 3: I just picked up The Great Gatsby from the library and it looks like a fairly slim book - only 180 pages - probably a good book for a busy person. I haven't read any of F. Scott Fitzgerald's books before, always seem to head towards the best sellers so haven't read much of the modern classics but I can see that this one is going to hook me, but I have to go and do the laundry plus other household chores. I'll have to be disciplined and leave the book alone. Talk to you later. momac :)

Genre swap

Sparkchaser: I have suggested books to brk 3 and jodenru95 has given me a couple of suggestions, I have chosen The Windchill Factor so it seems as though my swapees and myself are all set. momac :whistling:

OK, I'm reading Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls and thoroughly enjoying it. She presents a completely effed up childhood (running from the cops, no supervision) as being a wonderful experience, and its just charming. What a life she's led!

OK, I'm reading Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls and thoroughly enjoying it. She presents a completely effed up childhood (running from the cops, no supervision) as being a wonderful experience, and its just charming. What a life she's led!

Hey Alex, glad that you are enjoying The Glass Castle!

I read The Corpse Had A Familiar Face and thought it was great. Considering it was written in the late 1980s, the crime statistics were mind blowing but I thought Edna Buchanan gave the true crime aspects a real human touch. That might be the "female touch" but I think a male author would have been less understanding and made the book too factual rather than personal.

Any fans of true crime should definitely check this book out!

YAY! It sounds like we both had successful Genre swap experiences. I'll do this again for sure. And I will also be looking for another one of Jeannette Walls books.

Hello Joderu95: Have just started The Windchill Factor and really enjoying it -will probably have trouble putting it down tonight - The book was out of print and my local bookstore managed to get a used copy for me from New Brunswick and they shipped it out here to Ontario. It's yellowed with age but the contents are great. It was slow getting here as we had a postal strike. Thanks for suggesting it. Will post again when finished.:D

Hi Joderu95: Have finished The Windchill Factor. Great suspense and intrigue, the way the different characters were described you could really picture them and then all the conspiracy detail
with Nazis in powerful places within the U.S.
was kind of scary. Almost seemed like it could have happened - I'm amazed that Gifford hasn't written many more thrillers. It kept me guessing right up until the end. The only character that wasn't really fleshed out was John Cooper - it seemed that he just got carried along in the sweep of things although sickened by the violence but he also was tremendously naive. It was a strange twist when
he falls for his own sister, that struck a wrong note with me as the idea of incest bothers me
but all in all, a great read - thanks for suggesting it.:)

momac, I've edited your post as to include spoiler tags. Even though I'm not sure if the first one is a spoiler, I'm pretty sure the second one is...

Please be careful not to include any spoilers on your posts, and if you do, please wrap spoiler tags around the text (using the question mark button).

Sorry about that - hadn't occurred to me that I was giving away any secrets. Will be careful in future. It is a bit unlikely that many people will be reading this book as it was written in 1975 and out of print and I had to obtain it through the local bookstore who knew where to get a used copy but it certainly is worth the read if they do come across it in a used bookstore.:blush:

No problem, just try to be more careful in the future.
If you could find it, I'm sure someone determined enough might too...

ai1210.photobucket.com_albums_cc418_brk_3_arms.jpg :star3:

Ok, I went with A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway. I am giving it three stars. Most of the story telling was pretty dry in my opinion. My favorite book was book three, when the main character (Frederic) returns to the front lines after being wounded. The dialog between Tenente (Frederic) and Rinaldi which takes place early in the book was enjoyable and quite hilarious at times.

I guess this book is considered by some to be a romance novel. If I knew this ahead of time I probably wouldn’t have made this choice. I am not saying this due to regret for reading the book, it’s just that romance novels are not my thing. I was more interested in the WWI references. I can tell you this, it was certainly a novel of tragedy.
The end, what a bummer.

Congrats to you Brk3 - you deserve credit for getting through it - I tried reading it and foundered part way through. So we've both completed our Genre assignment. Sorry it wasn't too enjoyable for you. Maybe next time we have a genre swap you'll get something that really turns your crank. M

Back