• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking for a Fantasy/Romance Author/Book...

JackCrack

Looking for 2 things not found in real life.... magic and love :p

I read a lot of Fantasy like, JRR Tolkien, RA Salvatore, Terry Goodkind, Ursula Leguin, and a lot of noname authors off the net. Anything Magical or Psi is cool.

And have read Romance from Sandra Brown, Barbara Micheals, and the like. I'm a hopeless romantic :(

Looking for a author/book that has a good mix of both, the romance should be a little over R rated ;) but nothing bizarre. :eek:

Thanks in Advanced!

Dragon Prince - Melanie Rawn. No one else seems to agree with me that it's girly, but screw them. They're not here and I am.

The magic comes in the form of Sunrunners, who can use the sun to see things far away and also send telepathic messages. The romance is between a young but powerful sunrunner and a chap who's just become king after his father died. It's got dragons in it too. And a fantastic villain in the form of Roelstra. Rawn's baddies are great fun.

Anyhoo, there are three books in the Dragon Prince trilogy (Well duh. In my defence I did only just get up), and then if you like those there's a second trilogy with the same people, but it's a lot darker.

The Last Herald-mage Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey. (Magic's Pawn, Magic's Promise, Magic's Price i think).

It's sehr romantic, as long as you don't mind that the romance is between 2 men. The endings a bit of a weepy tho :(

Edit: D'oh, I think it's out of print in the UK

Yobmod said:
The Last Herald-mage Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey. (Magic's Pawn, Magic's Promise, Magic's Price i think).

I second the Mercedes Lackey. All of her stuff is a nice romance/fantasy blend.

Also, harlequin just started a new imprint that's a fantasy/romance combo, with 1 new book a month for now. www.luna-books.com
I have it set up with a credit card, they just mail it to me every month.

You might also like Alice Borchardt's werewolf books. And if you don't mind a little heavier on the romance, there's Maggie Shayne, she writes all sorts of paranormal romance, including vampire.

i'll second the Melanie Rawn reference.
(although i don't consider it "girly" at all)
she's also got a second series calle the "Exiles" which starts with "The Ruins of Ambrai"
another one is Fiona Patton who has a series which starts with "The Stone Prince"
and a third suggestion would be Lynn Flewelling starting with "Luck in the Shadows"

I'm reading Kushiel's Dart at the mo'. Left it on the shelf for ages because it sounded a bit romance-novel-like. But it definately doesnt corraspond to what i would call romantic - S&M sex torture may be an interesting read, but doesn't make me feel all warm inside. :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot for all the references.
Yhea S&M is just no fun, nothin above a pinch or friendly bite ;)
And though homosexuality does not bother me in real life, I just don't like it in my books

Melanie Rawn (Dragon Prince) & Juliet Marillier (Sevenwaters) look good and I'll definitely try them out; right now I am finishing off Terry Goodkind's series.

No worries about anything being out of print or the costs of anything.
Since people have different ideas of if it is ethical or not for "complete freedom of all forms of digital information for the advancement of human curiosity", I will not state my sources. :D
I use my PDA and read e-books(I think I am gonna go blind from staring at an LCD screen :cool: ).

If I actually owned all the books I have read then I could open my own library ;)

Again, thank you all for the refences, you never truly appreciate the phrase "you can't judge a book by it's cover" till you actually go book shopping :)

JackCrack said:
No worries about anything being out of print or the costs of anything.
Since people have different ideas of if it is ethical or not for "complete freedom of all forms of digital information for the advancement of human curiosity", I will not state my sources. :D
I use my PDA and read e-books(I think I am gonna go blind from staring at an LCD screen :cool: ).

If I actually owned all the books I have read then I could open my own library ;)

Although I use my computer quite a lot - mainly to listen to music and surf around the net, and occasionally to play games - I'm not a massive fan of eBooks. I'd just rather sit down with a book in my hand to read the stuff. I've got nothing against eBooks though. Writing is an art form (isn't it?) and I don't really think that receiving money is an important part of writing. I know you have to buy eBooks, but you can also find then for free around the place can't you? It's like downloading music really. I think it's absolutely fine (and brilliant) for people to download music for free. Being a musician myself (at least I call myself a musician - hehe) I would prefer to set up a website and put all my songs on it than sign a great big contract with a big label just to make money. I don't really think you can put a price on art. The artist gets more satisfaction from producing their art, than from receiving money for it. That's what I think anyway.

Take it easy

You Wanted Romance and Magic.......you got it!

Hey! You said that you wanted to read something that has both romance and magic, I would say that please read Laurell K. Hamilton's books. She's an awesome writer. I you start reading the Meredith Gentry series, voila! you get everything you wanted from the very first book. If you start reading the Anita Blake series, you'll have to wait for a couple of books and a bit more to get to the romance part and once you start reading those books, you'll get more han just romance.......you get what I mean, right??!!!! :)

Back