• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking for a good book..

Well I don't like the all romance books with the half naked muscular man and beautiful woman on the front, lol. But I do like some good details! Something to get the blood pumping..but I really want some suspence or thriller feel to the book also. I like a tease if that helps!

Hi Heather

I have no idea if this is for you since it is my book and you are welcome to ignore with no hard feelings. You mention that you enjoyed mystery--suspense, otherwise I would not respond with my own work. I published my first book middle of last year and it has consistently been reviewed as mystery-romance and had pretty good reviews. The title is To Catch A Cop by Elle Druskin. You can get it on Amazon Kindle and a few other places. I am going to include my website because you can read a free excerpt and see a video trailer. That might help you decide if this is for you. Either way, feel free to stay in touch.

Elle
Sit down and enjoy a little mystery, touch of humor, and dash of romance from author Elle Druskin

This is weird, I received an email that someone had posted something about admitting to reading trashy romances and I wanted to see the full message to respond properly and can't find it here. Soo, doing my best to respond bearing that in mind.
Trashy romance--don't know how different people define that term but guesing it involves poor writing, predictable/boring/outdated story--take your pick, characters you couldn'tcare less about and gratuitious sex with a cover that screams sex.
A romance novel in the most classic definition is about a relationship and novel implies confict, whatever is underlying the relationship. A romance novel is basically a courtship story and a lot of books could be classified as romance. Some are straight romance--conflict solved, end of story. Others could be labeled romance, historical, military, etc. Outlander and Gone With The Wind are examples.
That being said, I have had a pretty good education and willing to read almost anything in fiction and non-fiction and I read quickly. And yet, when my students are really worn out, can't face much more, let alone heavy reading, I tell them pick up a light novel that you don't have to analyze or agonize over. Just enjoy the story. Invariably, they choose a romance novel, relax, and feel better. That doesn't have to be trash, just a good story that they can enjoy and there's nothing wrong with that.
I do admit there are some within the genre that I absolutely hated and could never see how anyone would want to publish, but, it seems there is a market for all sorts of things. Just because I hated it, didn't mean other people felt the same way and I could see other novels by the same author in the same style on the publisher's catalogue.
Elle

This is weird, I received an email that someone had posted something about admitting to reading trashy romances and I wanted to see the full message to respond properly and can't find it here.
That post was an excuse to post a spam link and therefore was deleted.

That's a fair call, I suppose I was spamming. In my defense it was a link to page filled with romance novels and this thread was started by someone looking for romance novels.
In future I'll be sure the be more discrete about posting a link, and I'll always make sure to put up a disclaimer if it's a link to my website.
But what can I do? I own a bookshop and this is a forum about books! It's a great place for me to come read about what people are reading.
Sorry for the spam.
My bad.

romance novels

Hi Paul
To the best of my knowledge, romance novels account for about half the market today, so SOMEBODY is reading them <g>. As I said earlier, romance is a wide term, but the bottom line is that it is a courtship story. That doesn't mean a romance novel cannot fall into other categories; some can be historical, mystery, suspense, paranormal, etc. as well, but the basis is the courtship story which underlines the plot. As I said, Outlander can be labeled a romance, although it is many other genres too, and that applies to lots of books. Yes, there are the traditional, pure romance novels too, some are awful IMO and others turn out to be better than I expected. In this instance, I am not referring to the "bodice rippers" nor erotic novels. The former are long gone, the world has changed and women as characters in novels reflect those changes; they tend to be better educated, more independent and capable. The men also are different, have had different experiences. Not too long ago, I read a thesis on historical changes in romance novels beginning with Jane Austen--yep, she is also considered a romance author.
Elle

That's a fair call, I suppose I was spamming. In my defense it was a link to page filled with romance novels and this thread was started by someone looking for romance novels.
In future I'll be sure the be more discrete about posting a link, and I'll always make sure to put up a disclaimer if it's a link to my website.
But what can I do? I own a bookshop and this is a forum about books! It's a great place for me to come read about what people are reading.
Sorry for the spam.
My bad.

Links in signatures are OK.

I love that book. It's most unusual because it is not really a novel and not the traditional non-fiction book. I always enjoyed Truman Capote's work and I still do. In fact, I recall now, my parents had gone to the theatre one evening and there was Truman Capote sitting a few rows away. As it happens, the film of the book was opening that night.
Shortly after the intermission, they noticed him rushing back to his friends with a big thumbs up so they knew the film had gotten good reviews and dutifully reported in to me as soon as they arrived home.

Going back to an earlier thread or discussion, in fact, Breakfast at Tiffany's could be categorized as a romance because again, it has the basic elements. Man, woman, conflict and problem to solve. That's it.
Of course, it can be called lots of other things, but that is my point. When people cringe at the term romance novel, they need to consider all the possible novels that could indeed fit that category.

Elle

That's what I mean, work that would not necessarily be considered "romance" at first glance, turns out to be at some level and it doesn't get much better than Pearl Buck!

Elle

Back