• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking for a good novel with certain criteria...

momadaboo

kickbox
Hi, I'm new to these forums and lookng for a good novel with the following criteria:

- Preferably long (the longer the better)
- Preferably non-futuristic
- Good romance (I'm not looking for a novel strictly set on romance but one that has a healthy dosage of romance included)
- Overall interesting story throughout

I recently read "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet and I loved it. I also read "Aztec" (which is said to be similar to Pillars) which I also enjoyed but not to the same degree. If you know of any books similar to The Pillars of the Earth and/or that meet my above criteria please share...

Thanks much.

This part I don't quiet understand many members are looking for good romance stories. I have plenty myself, just never wrote them into books. That might inspire me to write some of stories.

Have you read any of Diana Gabaldon's novels - the Outlander series. The first of the series 'Outlander' back cover reads:

'The year is 1945, Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon - when she innocently touches a boulder in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach - an outlander - in a Scotland torn by war and raiding border clans in the year 1743'.

'Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire is catapulted into the intrigues of lairds and spies that may threaten her life... and shatter her heart. For here James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, shows her a love so absolute that Claire becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire... and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives'.

I now read three of the series and have enjoyed each one. There's romance and history sprinkled with intrigue and drama.

PS: I thoroughly enjoyed Pillars of the Earth too.

Try Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. It's a long book and it's also the first in a series. It's adventure and romance in 17th century Scotland.

momadaboo said:
the following criteria:

- Preferably long (the longer the better)
- Preferably non-futuristic
- Good romance (I'm not looking for a novel strictly set on romance but one that has a healthy dosage of romance included)
- Overall interesting story throughout

While I've not read it yet, perhaps Vikram Seth's A Suitable Boy might be to your liking. It's 1,500 pages long, is non-futuristic, seems to be about romance but so much more, and given that it details much of India, the story should be interesting too.

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks (not exactly long, but longish)

I was going to say one of Diana Gabaldon's novels - esp the Outlander series.

Or perhaps something by Philippa Gregory :)

Stewart said:
While I've not read it yet, perhaps Vikram Seth's A Suitable Boy might be to your liking. It's 1,500 pages long, is non-futuristic, seems to be about romance but so much more, and given that it details much of India, the story should be interesting too.

You're maturing right before my eyes. I didn't think you'd be able to ignore the praise for Dan Brown. Good for you. What an amazing character arc.

As soon as I read your post, I immediately thought of Outlander (aka Cross Stitch) by Diana Gabaldon. It's an absolutely fabulous book, and the rest of the series is great too. The books range from about 900 pages - 1400 pages, so they are pretty lengthy :)

No doubt about it, you would love the Diana Gabaldon series. They are as follows:

Outlander
Dragonfly In Amber
Voyager
Drums of Autumn
The Fiery Cross
A Breath of Snow and Ashes

There is also another book that she wrote to help readers sort of consolidate the first four. The Outlandish Companion
Heres her website if you are interested.
http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~gatti/gabaldon/gabaldon.html

I would also recommend Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor.

Stewart said:

I think this sounds good, thanks Stewart. Oh, and I'll add to the Yays for the Outlander series :)

momadaboo said:
I recently read "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet and I loved it. I also read "Aztec" (which is said to be similar to Pillars) which I also enjoyed but not to the same degree. If you know of any books similar to The Pillars of the Earth and/or that meet my above criteria please share...
Reading your criteria, The Pillars of the Earth was the first book that sprang to mind. I've read it twice, and have looked for something similar, but not found it yet. :confused: I'll pick up Aztec and give it ago, if it's similar. Sorry, I don't have any suggestions of my own. :eek:

Back