• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking for help for school work!

just_dandy

Hey guys. i was in need of help. would anyone be able to recommend a book that deals with discovery.(self or world discovery)

I recommend Tuesdays with Morrie (spelling?) by Mitch Albom. It gives you a sense of realization regarding the value and finite nature of life. I’ve read books about the fragility of life in all kinds of ways – war, illness, murder ect. All of these give you a sense of realizing ‘discovering’ how precious life is, but few books leave you with an optimistic and uplifted prospective as Albom’s book.

Plus, for homework this is a good selection because:

1. Everyone likes this book
2. your teacher has undoubltly heard of this book

For self-discovery, try:

Henderson the Rain King by Saul Bellow
Ordinary People by Judith Guest

Self-discovery AND world-discovery:

On the Road by Jack Kerouac

World discovery:

The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver

On the Road will scar the young man. He'll decide to major in philosophy rather than business administration or accounting.:D

Either that or he'll hate the book and curse my avatar kitty. I never said the books were great, I'm just saying they'll help him with his project.:p Though The Bean Trees is pretty awesome.

Read anything by Barbara Kingsolver -- trust me on this one.

Well, maybe not The Poisonwood Bible. Not right now. Leave that one until last. :)

another question

considering you guys are all well read! hehe..i was wondering if could also recommend a poem that deals with discovery. world or of self. thanks a lot!

just_dandy said:
considering you guys are all well read! hehe..i was wondering if could also recommend a poem that deals with discovery. world or of self. thanks a lot!

Try Upon Seeing the Elgin Marbles by John Keats. Very powerful and very moving.:) For a short story, try Thoreau's Walden. Can't go wrong with any transcendental writer.

Back