• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking For Information

prvtpilot

kickbox
Hello,

Not sure if this is the correct place for this but I figured it was a place to start. I am no book collector nor do I profess to be any kind of expert but I need to figure this out.

I have a book, Its a rare book called the Celtic Druids by Godfrey Higgins Esq. F.L.A.. Now I have seen copies of this book on different sites all with a publish date of 1829 and first editions, some go on to say that the work was started in 1827 but never finished and the book was actually published in 1829.

The book I have is dated 1827 and is a completed book, down to the leather cover and gold leaf. The one thing about this book that is a little strange is that all of the printed pictures are glued in, almost as if the book had been hand assembled.

There are also in two places in the book a stamp "Free Masons Hall - London W.C. - Grand Lodge Library"

What I need to find is a way of authenticating this book or speak with someone that knows a lot more about rare books than I do. I am located in northern California. If anyone has any idea about how to proceed on this I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thank You,

Dean Richards

I don't know, prvtpilot, but I'm intriqued. I have some 'special books' too.

Somebody here will know where to point you, count on it.

I'd suggest looking for local antique or used book dealers. They could probably point you in the direction of someone who could authenticate.

Ooo! It sounds so mysterious! The Masons are a fascination of mine. Your description reminds me of the fictitious book featured in Arturo Perez-Reverte's 'The Club Dumas'.

Kookamoor said:
Ooo! It sounds so mysterious! The Masons are a fascination of mine. Your description reminds me of the fictitious book featured in Arturo Perez-Reverte's 'The Club Dumas'.

Funny, but the OP made me think of The Club Dumas as well.

mehastings said:
Funny, but the OP made me think of The Club Dumas as well.
OP??

What's the name of the book?? Was it the "Nine Doors" or the Demonolocon? Daemonellicon? I tried Googling it, but even that can't fix my spelling!!

Kookamoor said:
Original Post
What's the name of the book?? Was it the "Nine Doors" or the Demonolocon? Daemonellicon? I tried Googling it, but even that can't fix my spelling!!

According to a reviewer on Amazon it was The Book of the Nine Doors to the Kingdom of Darkness.

That particular book was "The Nine Gates of The Kingdom of Shadows"

Interesting concept book. Would be cool if it actually existed. You can buy copies of it on ebay.

The book I own has many different markings from the library were it was kept. The Free Masons stamps are just the most prominent

prvtpilot said:
That particular book was "The Nine Gates of The Kingdom of Shadows"
Ah, thanks! Sorry to hijack your thread - I'm sure someone has some information for you here. There've been a few threads on antique-like texts previously, from which I got these links:

Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
Alibris

Biblio:
Biblio said:
Used Books & Out-of-Print Books @ Biblio

Biblio is the preferred source for used books, out-of-print books, and rare books, with over over 25 million titles offered for sale by over over 4000 booksellers and bookstores worldwide.

Whether you're looking for used books, out-of-print books, first editions or signed books, textbooks, or rare and antiquarian books, when you shop at Biblio, you'll find the best quality and prices on the book that you are looking for - all from some of the finest and most knowledgeable independent booksellers in the world, allowing you to get the best in price, service, and experience!

No Worries, That was a great book and it made an interesting movie as well.

I will check out those leads you provided. Thanks Much!

Would like to hear if anyone else owns a copy of the Celtic Druids by Higgins.

Best to try a few antiquarian book dealers. Definitely visit more than one to make sure you get a legitimate estimate.

First off, Thank You for all your input. I have learned more about books and this one in particular thanks to you.

I have posted pictures on my website of the book and the title page (quick and dirty folks). You can see them by going to http://draoidh.com/higgins

I will be happy to post others if anyone is interested.

According to the table of contents:

There are 301 pages of text
There are 45 prints. Of the 45, 43 are tipped in. No 8 and No 9 are printed full sheets
7 Wood Vignettes 1 at the beginning of each chapter.
7 Vignettes, 1 at the end of each chapter, all are tipped in.

The copyright page is blank, no where in the book is there mention of copyright that I have found. Close examination shows no pages removed or torn out.

Thanks again for all your input.

prvtpilot said:
The copyright page is blank, no where in the book is there mention of copyright that I have found.

Well, guessing by the year you say it was printed, would you expect to see copyright information? It's long since out of copyright anyway.

I have been told that the 1829 versions of the book do have a full copyright page.

I am beginning to think this may have been trial run. There may have only been a few made like this. So far I have found one other book like mine (1827).

I would be really interested in hearing from anyone that owns a copy of this book. Especially if it is dated 1827.

Wow, fifty real dollars? :)

At some point I guess I should figure out what this thing is worth. I see the 1829 versions from 200.00 to 1600.00 depending on condition.

prvtpilot said:
Wow, fifty real dollars? :)

At some point I guess I should figure out what this thing is worth. I see the 1829 versions from 200.00 to 1600.00 depending on condition.

The're newer, so of course they'd cost more.

(If I had a cigar, I'd waggle it.)

:cool:

Back