• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking for old horror story book

For years I have been looking for a paperback book my friend had from the late '70s or early '80s. It had a two-word title, something like Ghostly Terrors or Horrors, and the cover featured a dark illustration of a horse-drawn carriage. Something about the way the stories were written cut to the bone - it was one of the most terrifying collections I have ever read. It was apparently aimed at young adults, but I wouldn't have given it to anyone under 18! Some of the stories were -

A woman traveling at night stops at a hotel and sees a woman in her room. She looks in the closet and discovers a skeleton.

A man traveling by foot at night runs into a man who is revealed to have no face. He flees and meets another man who, ultimately, is shown to have no face as well.

A man meets up with a friend he thought was dead. The first man becomes drunk and the second puts him on his horse which races off into the night. The man wakes up to find himself on a monument in a cemetery.

Something about a man who is cruel to animals being lead to his death by giant black cats

A manor house haunted by a woman and her child

The one about black cats sounds really familiar. Ugh. I better not lay awake all night thinking about this.

For years I have been looking for a paperback book my friend had from the late '70s or early '80s. It had a two-word title, something like Ghostly Terrors or Horrors, and the cover featured a dark illustration of a horse-drawn carriage. Something about the way the stories were written cut to the bone - it was one of the most terrifying collections I have ever read. It was apparently aimed at young adults, but I wouldn't have given it to anyone under 18! Some of the stories were -

A woman traveling at night stops at a hotel and sees a woman in her room. She looks in the closet and discovers a skeleton.

A man traveling by foot at night runs into a man who is revealed to have no face. He flees and meets another man who, ultimately, is shown to have no face as well.

A man meets up with a friend he thought was dead. The first man becomes drunk and the second puts him on his horse which races off into the night. The man wakes up to find himself on a monument in a cemetery.

Something about a man who is cruel to animals being lead to his death by giant black cats

A manor house haunted by a woman and her child

Thanks for the recommendation, jackoliver! Forgot to mention that the stories were not from various sources (as in an anthology) but written by the book's author.

Solved! "Chilling Ghost Stories"

Do you have a publisher/date of publication to go with the title? I am really curious to check out this book but searching it on Amazone/Abe yields lots of different returned books. It sounds similar to a book I recall reading from the library when I was much younger - and one of the reasons I am still fond of horror-themed literature to this day.

Do you have a publisher/date of publication to go with the title? I am really curious to check out this book but searching it on Amazone/Abe yields lots of different returned books. It sounds similar to a book I recall reading from the library when I was much younger - and one of the reasons I am still fond of horror-themed literature to this day.

Yes - it was written by Bernhardt J. Hurwood and published by Scholastic in '73. There are a lot of copies for sale out there, most pretty cheap!

Back