• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking for some good horror books

Art

Hello folks. this is my first post here.
as the title says, I'm looking for some good horror books. my favorite genre/sub-genre (if we could say that) are :

- The haunted house stories
- The well-written ghost stories (not cheesy ones)
- Gothic style horrors
- The dark-atmospheric stories about a mysterious -bad- character

my favorite writer of all time is Poe. so I've practically read all of his stories. and by the way I'm not into electric horror (if there's such a thing out there!), I mean the books with mobile-phones,computer systems and all those electrical-related horror books. although I don't have any problem with stories that happen in a modern society. and I don't like hard sci-fi (mixed in horror), although I don't have any problem with a decent fantasy/horror book. and I seriously hate Twilight series and Darren Shan Books and things like that. here's some of my favorites :

- Everything by Poe
- The Shining
- Frankenstein
- Dracula
- We Have Always Lived in the Castle
- The Haunting of the Hill House
- The Castle of Otranto
- The Picture of Dorian Gray
- Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
- The Hound of the Baskerville
- Araminta Spookie Series

Thanks in Advance

Hi Art,

You've quite a nice list of strong horror/gothic/supernatural books there. I'd agree very much with most of those, barring Otranto. I know it's key to the history of the gothic novel, but it's really not such a well written book...

Now, I've a couple of suggestions for you as regards your query, but I won't swamp with lists or anything.

- The haunted house stories (you've already mentioned Hill House and The Shining)
* 'Hell House' by Richard Matheson
* 'Haunted' by James Herbert
* 'Ghosts of Sleath' by James Herbert

- The well-written ghost stories (not cheesy ones)
* Anything by M R James, ditto Robert Aickman (though his stuff is quite surreal). 'The Turn of the Screw' by Henry James also worth checking out. I read a couple of Arthur Conan Doyle's supernatural tales the other day, from a collection of his work, and they were quite interesting. They're out of copyright now so you should be able to Google a a few of those to see if there's anything that you like.

- Gothic style horrors
* Wilkie Collins for the gothic in general.
* Quite alot of Anne Rice's stuff, especially her vampire books.

- The dark-atmospheric stories about a mysterious -bad- character
I'll go for something old and something new for this one. Have you tried 'The Beetle' by Richard Marsh - more popular than Stoker's 'Dracula' in its day? Newer, check out Adam Nevill's 'Apartment 16'. The latter is a supernatural chiller, very well written, very scary.
* 'The Doll Who Ate His Mother' by Ramsey Campbell

It's great that you've mentioned 'The Hound of the Baskervilles'. I really do love that book so much!

Right now, I can only suggest Poppy Z. Brite's Drawing Blood. It's about a drifter who returns home and discovers his childhood house is haunted. Warning you now: some scenes are not for the close-minded/homophobic.

Back