• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking for the titles of two books

perigrine

The first one was a historical romance. It was set around 1066 in England. I remember the first part when the invading army attacked a convent. Inside was a woman who had sought refuge from the war, but wasn't a nun. She was sewing a wimple when the fellas crashed though her door. The head man of the Army stole her for himself, but didn't ravish her. She cooked porrige for breakfast (maybe this means it was a Scottish army?) and didn't wash the pan straight away. Anyways. The woman travels with the army, still not being ravished until they go back to the head mans home. The woman and the man fall in love of course. War returns and the man goes back to war. I recall that he wore harlequin pants when he married her.

The other book starts in America, about 1914, with the 'daughter' coming back home in a carriage, in disgrace, after giving birth to an illegitimate baby. The first chapter ends, if I recall correctly, with the daughters mother pulling the shades down, and them never being lifted again. It then skips to the 1940s or so when the illegitimate baby has grown up and is expecting her third child, but her husband has died. The 'hero' of the story has just gotten out of jail [Sing Sing?] and came to her town, where he goes to a cafe/diner and asks to read the paper. He sees a want ad for a husband [maybe it was a yardsman] and to apply at the ladies house [Rock Creek Road rings a bell] asks the cafe owner where to find the place and sets off. He applies for the job, and ends up sleeping in the barn. Once again, they end up falling in love, he delivers her baby, and they get married - not necessarily in that order. The babies name was Lizzie. He gets set up for the murder of another woman and his wife learns to drive the 'junker' he put together and goes to his trials.

I never saw the title of the second book, as it was given to me by a friend. Any help would be great, coz I would love to read these again.

cheers,
Monique

bit more info

Miss Shelf said:
For the first book, try here:
http://allromancewriters.com/subjectdetails.cfm?genreID=213

The second book sounds vaguely familiar, but I can't find it, I'll keep looking.

Thanks for that. I might have found the first one (Midnight Warrior - Iris Johansen) The leading mans name sounds vaguely familiar. I will need to hunt down the book and take a peek.

The second one was 'new' in the early 1990's. No later than 95, coz the person who gave it to me moved away late 94. The main man in this one did some work at the sawmill. The overseer of the mill, when it came time for the war, cut off his right index finger to get out of being drafted. The main man worked in the local library for a time as well. (If I remember much more of it, I won't need to read it again :( )

I thought it was "Raggedy Man", it was a movie with Sissy Spacek and Eric Roberts, but I can't find that it was made from a book. And I don't think the 1914 part was in the movie.

Miss Shelf said:
I thought it was "Raggedy Man", it was a movie with Sissy Spacek and Eric Roberts, but I can't find that it was made from a book. And I don't think the 1914 part was in the movie.
Mmm, having looked at this synopsis, that's not the one I recall. I have a vivid recollection of this man arriving in town and going to a cafe where he hears about this woman who's husband has left/died and she needs to have a whole bunch of home repairs done. He arrives at her door and she is scared of him, so he agrees to sleep in the barn and he gains her trust over the next little while as he fixes up her home. The details regarding the illegitimacy of the woman are not familiar, and I'm not sure I saw the end...

Gosh, this is SO annoying!!!

Kookamoor said:
Mmm, having looked at this synopsis, that's not the one I recall. I have a vivid recollection of this man arriving in town and going to a cafe where he hears about this woman who's husband has left/died and she needs to have a whole bunch of home repairs done. He arrives at her door and she is scared of him, so he agrees to sleep in the barn and he gains her trust over the next little while as he fixes up her home. The details regarding the illegitimacy of the woman are not familiar, and I'm not sure I saw the end...

Gosh, this is SO annoying!!!

that certainly sounds like the same one. Though movies and books aren't all that much alike. The womans husband died from bee stings in the orchard and that is why she was deathly afraid of the new fella working with the bees.

the Raggedy Man itself doesn't ring a bell. One being that I seem to recall that the books 'leading' lady was Ellie [though don't quote me on this]. Her father was a preacher, who once got caught in bed with a black woman. "Ellie" got pregnant to the boy who used to deliver ice to the house. But the book never said how 'Ellie' was concieved.

I think 'Blessings' might fit the bill! The bit that I can recall fits the plot line, and it was made into a movie with Mary Tyler Moore in 2003. Is it the same one you recall peregrine?

Man, Miss Shelf, I don't know how you found this - I spent 2 hours Googling with various key words the other night and came up empty handed!

Miss Shelf said:
would either of you remember the title if you saw it? Try here: http://www.contemporaryromancewriters.com/subjects.cfm?GenreID=128

and is it a romance or a "general fiction"?

It's maddeningm, searching for it! But fun, too!

I never saw the title :( Otherwise I might have had half a chance of remembering it - but it sure is good to know that I didn't imagine the whole thing! Same goes for what catagory it might have come under. I assumed it was romance, coz of the man getting the lady and 'living happily ever after'

"Blessings" doesn't sound right. There was no 'estate' and no abandoned baby. Now that I am forced to think about it, I seem to recall that the fella (who's name totally escapes me) details [or thinks] that 'Ellies' house looks like it was built in sections, with each section leaning toward different compass points.

Oh, I just remembered a part in the middle where the fella is in the war and he and 'Ellie' send letters to each other. Once back on American soil, and in the midst of flashbacks he tells 'Ellie' how he dragged his best mate Red to a foxhole to keep him safe, and a bomb was dropped right on that very spot. He cries, holding her, and then when he 'fades away' she leaves him to collect the children and goes back to the house...

it was a fluke. I just entered the search term on a whim. It didn't work for the other one :(

The good thing is, Ebay has two in a store. One is part of a three novel compilation. Both are the same price though. I am still trying to decide which particular one to get. I have this idea that the 3 in 1 book may be missing parts.

perigrine said:
it was a fluke. I just entered the search term on a whim. It didn't work for the other one :(

The good thing is, Ebay has two in a store. One is part of a three novel compilation. Both are the same price though. I am still trying to decide which particular one to get. I have this idea that the 3 in 1 book may be missing parts.
Why not try looking the book up on Amazon to see if the 3 in 1 book is abridged - this would be pretty easy to see if the seller has an ISBN up (or email them and ask for it).

Or, try getting it through angusandrobertson.com (Morning Glory). They have it through their American publishers so it'd take a little longer to order, but for $14.95 + P&H that's not bad... they'd probably order it instore if there's one near you too (save you P&H which is a ridiculous $6, I think).

egads. I'd rather pay for the 3.95 one from Ebay with 4.50 postage. But I like second hand books better..I don't get so paranoid about bending them :D

perigrine said:
egads. I'd rather pay for the 3.95 one from Ebay with 4.50 postage. But I like second hand books better..I don't get so paranoid about bending them :D
Woo! If you're getting it that cheap on eBay that's brill! I also love second hand books for the same reason. I hate it when I realise that I've jsut bent the spine of my book for the first time and made a crease. If the creases are already there... well, there's nothing that I can blame on myself, is there?!

Back