• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Lord Foul's Bane

Haplo

I bought this book a long time ago and didn't get past the first few chapters because it had a slow opening. I recently came back to it and it has since grown on me (like many things do). I find the authors style very interesting and he uses some very interesting words that I have to look up in dictionaries (good thing I guess).

What do you guys think about it? I am on page 140 or so and it is getting better. The culture presented so far is pretty interesting but seems a bit too fanciful, but I guess that is the style of the book (influenced by Tolkien no doubt).

Spoiler:
. don't
. go
. here!

I was really disturbed by the rape scene, I have never read such a thing in a book before. I like how the author handled writing it though, but it really made me disgust Mr. Covenant.

I couldn't get into this book. I didn't like any of the characters and Covenant was in need of a good slap. I've read Mordants Need which is also by Donaldson and I found that much more enjoyable, though again the main characters were all a bit useless.

I think with such a dense book I really need to identify with the characters and care about what happens to them. But if even Covenant couldn't muster up the energy to care, then I was left thinking 'Why should I?'

I have read All 6 books of the Covenan series and like them all.

The rape scene did catch me off gaurd and i kept thinking, "what are you doing". This is probly why many people dont like Donaldsons work, his characters are very flawed. They dont play the "Hero". But this intrigued me to read more and i ended up likeing the whole series more than Lord of the Rings.

I didnt find the beginning that slow because of the whole leper backroun. But everybody has different tastes.

I think Donaldson wanted his readers to hate Covenant right off and realize he is flawed instead of the typical hero. I hated that rape passage and hated Thomas for what he had done I wanted him not to be the main character when I first read through this series 15 years back.

I enjoyed Lord Fouls Bane wasn't the biggest fan of the The Ill Earth War but felt The Power That Preserves made up for what I didn't like about the second book. The second series is actually my favorite and though I felt The One Tree was a bit slow I kept with it and by the end found it to be the best book of all IMHO but that's just me.

Donaldson is quite an author, and he does an amazing job with creating The Land

I only read Lord Foul's Bane in late december last year (and finished the rest of the first and second chronicles a bit later) but I thought it was a good read, though the Illearth War was notably worse, though The Power that Preserves is my favourite book out of Donaldson's two chronicles. I enjoyed the first chronicles the most because you could see The Land's beautyand health, unlike in the second chronicles where if you've read them, you know what became of the Land

also Donaldosn is working on his Third (and last) chronicles of Thomas Covenant, which he says will be published around fall this year or early next year

If the rape scene in Lord Foul's Bane bothered you, then I advise you to stay away from Gap Into Conflict: The Real Story ... :eek:

Having said that, the Gap books are easily some of my favourites - full of anti-heroes of course, but then that's his bag, baby.

I loved the Chronicles books and I'm delighted to hear that he's writing a third series - do you have a link to a press release or anything official?

The Covenant books are enjoyable enough, but nothing particuarly special, in my opinion. And far too traditional for my taste

thomas C

i read through the entire 6 books on a recommendation, i no longer accept recommendations off that person.

Whilst interesting and in parts well written i was underwhelmed by the whole experience, and in terms of volume read to enjoyed ratio it ranks at the bottom with "something happened".

my advice is that whenever you feel compelled to buy a book that says "comparable to tolkein at his best" on its jacket - don't, just save your money and read tolkein instead.

ksky

I'm quite surprised that the last two comments have been so negative - I found the Covenant books entriguing and compelling, and I have a low tolerance for most of the pap that is peddled as fantasy these days. I'm sure that I have recommended the books to at least 10 people over the years and I have yet to hear any negative feedback :rolleyes: Just goes to show that a classic in one person's eyes is drivel in someone else's.

Mind you, ksky, if you were "underwhelmed by the whole experience" I really do wonder why you bothered to read all six?!?!

lol

i read all six because i was convinced something redeeming would happen for them to have been recommended to me, also i have staying power :p (note to self - you will finish joyce's Ulysses)

it did have the virtue of being well written in places i wouldn't take that away from him. It is high praise to be worthy of criticism. :)

ksky

Fair enough ... I'm hardly one to talk, I'm still wading through the execrable rubbish that is the Wheel of Time :( He is laughing at me, churning out pure nonsense, knowing that I will read it because I've got this far so I might as well finish!

I hate him!

*insert profanity here*

Donaldson's Chronicles were well written I thought. It's just that he has written in a much different style than most authors. Most people find Covenant less a hero and more a cowardly man, but I think that was Donaldson's intent. We hope that even though our 'hero' is very flawed(which is much more real than most other author's heroes) that he will prevail and save the land that the reader has(or hopefully has) fallen in love with. He has made an intriguing novel and created a beautiful setting.
I do agree that the Tree of Time was very slow and hard to get through some of the chapters as they cross the ocean, but overall this is a great series and I am glad to hear that he is working on a 3rd Chronicles. I'll buy it without a doube, glad to be taken back to a place I found more real than most others.

I've only read the first 3 books, i was only 11/ 12 at the time and was totally discusted when i got to the rape scene, even thought of burning the book but i'm glad i didn't. The whole trilogy, was a fantastic read that is rare to find in many fantasy authors who seem to use the genre to churn out pap (jordan i'm looking at you mate) and as a money making machine.

I only learned today of the second chronicles from another thread and i'm going to get them on order at the local book shop as soon as i can afford it.

The covenant books are IMO one of the best fantasy series ever written. Its very refreshing to see a hero that is not so goody two-shoes as most of them are. Interesting believable characters and a interesting world. The 2nd chronicles are in a way even darker than the first. If you liked the covenant series you should try the Gap-books.

Not only is there a second chronicles, he has written the first book of the third chronicles already. I just came out last month and im almost done with it. Just as good as I've already come to expect from Donaldson. So once you guys zip through the second chronicles be sure to pick it up.

In the history of fantasy, Donaldson's Covenant series probably represents a revival in the salability, extending the reach of fantasy to new audiences. His anti-hero was the perfect counter to the larger-than-life heroes of Tolkien. Indeed, it's like a 60s guy is sent back to Middle Earth and told he's to help save the world. It's very well done, with as much attention to detail in world-building and to language as any other work of fantasy. It's an exploration of the meaning of heroism that is a trademark for everything he's since written. And no one handles the psychological dynamics of characters as grandly as he does. He dares to tell us that free will doesn't exist or at least that it has no meaning without a higher context that shapes decision-making.

I own most of his books in first edition hardcover. I can't say that of any other writer.

Try Colin Louis, 'Brantu' The Chronicles of Brantu, published in Australia by Copyright publishing. Fantastic reading for this new author...and trilogy

Back