• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Lord Of The Rings dilemma

Ahah! Now I know why I got so emotional when Frodo said goodbye to his friends from the shire in the ROTK movie and got on the boat with the elves. I had read the books when I was very young and I didn't consciously remember they died in the end. I guess I had surpressed it and on some level was realizing that the whole ship scene was symbolic.

I thought I was just being a complete doofus.

Speaking of the movies, I need to finish watching the extended version of ROTK. ;)

There are some things about Tolkien's writing style in LOTR that drives me a bit batty, but it's one of those things that I'm realizing that I love because of it. If that makes any sense whatsoever! I'd like to read it again, but it hasn't been that long since I reread it. I'm feeling a bit Middle Earth obsessed right now so don't mind me! :lol:

I found a <a href="http://tolkienquest.blogspot.com">Tolkien Reading Quest</ia> when I was browsing elsewhere and thought it might be interesting to give it a try. Like I didn't have enough of my own books to read, I decide to add a reading challenge to the mix.

read it again! It's my favourite part - I didn't like the second part that much, only the third one got more interesting again... I must have read parts of the trilogy several hundred times, for it was on my bedside-table for about ten years, and the last thing I ended the day with, was some scenes of the book. - When I rered it last year, for a reading circle on büchereule.de I realized, I know whole chapters still by heart; I know what the next sentence will be... this book was my bible between 15 and 25...
Don't bash the film, it's not that bad, and though I'm a purist I still like it. I missed Tom and especially the gravewright and Glorfindel, but his replacement by Arwen was ok.

Lol This is a cute subject, and I am going to commit blasphemy by saying, I hated the books in a way, and loved the movies. I say watch the movies

Is it wrong that I agree?? I finished Fellowship, but absolutely could not make it through Two Towers. Could not. After repeated attempts. So, I did what I never never do, and gave up and watched the movies. Which, by the way, were fantastic! Don't know if they were fantastic because of the storyline, or because Viggo Mortensen is gorgeous...most likely a mixture of both.

Back