• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

LOTR V/S Harry Potter

Becoz both r bestseller,both have been adopted as movies & both have a magical story.

I enjoy both of them, but do agree in some ways with Stewart that they aren't easily comparable.

I find the Harry Potter books alot more accessible, easier to get into & lighter reading, LOTR has a much better formed world in it & the characters are given far more depth, but does take some effort at times to read.

If I had to choose between one set of books, and one set of movies to re-read, and re-watch on some kind of regular basis I would easily choose TOLR (The Hobbit included please) over HP.....

should I admit I've never completely read any of the HP books, and only seen most of one of the movies...nah.....it's mainly because I have no interest in them.....but I'll keep that to myself

Moto, I've neither read Harry Potter or watched the movies. I don't see the point in me reading Harry Potter. They are for kids; we're past that anyway.

Worm said:
Which Do You Think Is Superior Than The Other ?
I don't think it's about 'superiority'. They are very different books, written for different audiences. I don't think any book is 'superior' to another - it's about taste and what you are looking for. As with anything, this is subjective.

i read all harry potter and all lord of the rings, but i also go with it is not to compare... harry potter is easy to read and kinda a kids book, it has an anti-hero and plays in our worls with some expansions...
Lord of the rings goes with the adventure thing and forms it's characters around friendship, hardship and a whole different world...
they are also very different in their writing style, the one is to the point and doesn't give you much room for imagination, while the other one gives you a lot of detailes, but leaves you to your own thoughts and judgement...

So overall i agree with the rest of the people here, it is simply a question of likes and dislikes...

Kookamoor said:
I don't think it's about 'superiority'. They are very different books, written for different audiences. I don't think any book is 'superior' to another - it's about taste and what you are looking for. As with anything, this is subjective.
I totally agree.

And that is from a "muggle". :)

Oh poor poor Stewart. How can you say that you are too old or beyond Harry Potter? What makes the wonderous fictional world of Harry Potter worse than that of a fictional world inhabited by nonexistant creatures. If one can not embrace imagination than how can one read and imagine the world inwhich they are reading about regardless of the which world it is? Besides having a creative imagination may help keep you younger than you might expect.

Rzombie2002 said:
Oh poor poor Stewart.

I don't need that.

How can you say that you are too old or beyond Harry Potter?

The fact that Harry Potter is found in the childrens' section of bookshops and I am not a child. There's fiction written for adults; I'd rather read that.

What makes the wonderous fictional world of Harry Potter worse than that of a fictional world inhabited by nonexistant creatures.

If we're still on the comparison between Lord of the Rings here then I must state that I found The Fellowship of the Ring to be a terrible book and Tolkien's ability as an author not worthy of the praise he has garnered over the years. I will accept that the books have merit for changing and directing a genre.

Besides having a creative imagination may help keep you younger than you might expect.

I have a very creative imagination; I just don't find recycled myths in colourful kiddie land to be imaginative.

Stewart said:
I have a very creative imagination; I just don't find recycled myths in colourful kiddie land to be imaginative.

Badly written, no less.
I'm continually perplexed by the post-pubescent world actually getting excited by this banal crap.
If it takes a pretty silly book for you to “bond” with your kids, well, the relationship must be pretty poor, at best.
And Lewis Carroll, as far as I know, is *not* (yet) out of print.

I vote for Dr Seuss, easily outdoing both JRRTolk. and Harry Wanker. Combined.

“Taps” is softly playing in the background; soon all the bookstores will be closed (replaced by, I guess, cell phones stores) and we’ll just be able to buy what books Walgreens stocks and what CNN says is “literature”.

Colour me unimpressed…
j

jay said:
Badly written, no less.
I'm continually perplexed by the post-pubescent world actually getting excited by this banal crap.
If it takes a pretty silly book for you to “bond” with your kids, well, the relationship must be pretty poor, at best.
And Lewis Carroll, as far as I know, is *not* (yet) out of print.

I vote for Dr Seuss, easily outdoing both JRRTolk. and Harry Wanker. Combined.

“Taps” is softly playing in the background; soon all the bookstores will be closed (replaced by, I guess, cell phones stores) and we’ll just be able to buy what books Walgreens stocks and what CNN says is “literature”.

Colour me unimpressed…
j
Maybe one day we can all be so enlightened :rolleyes:

pwilson said:
Maybe one day we can all be so enlightened :rolleyes:

It's a sad state of affairs when „enlightenment“ is moved so far down the ladder (spiritual or otherwise) to (what should be) simple General Knowledge.
…and even then foreseen as unattainable.

Alas...

jay said:
It's a sad state of affairs when „enlightenment“ is moved so far down the ladder (spiritual or otherwise) to (what should be) simple General Knowledge.
…and even then foreseen as unattainable.

Alas...
I wasn't trying to be an ass (OK, maybe just a little :)) I guess I just don't see how your opinion should be considered "General Knowledge" automatically. People were just comparing two series that they like and I don't see how that necessarily merits a derisive post comparing us to a bunch of lemmings, you know?

pwilson said:
I guess I just don't see how your opinion should be considered "General Knowledge" automatically.

The economic situation of bookstores is not an/my “opinion”.
Nor is the fact that this is badly written (enjoyable to some, maybe. Well written? I don’t think anyone would make that claim) books for um, kiddies.

People were just comparing two series that they like and I don't see how that necessarily merits a derisive post comparing us to a bunch of lemmings, you know?

Understood. I wouldn’t have stepped in if Stewart wasn’t being commented with the bibliographical equivalent to “why can’t you be more optimistic”.
And I have far too much respect for the mythological tendencies of lemmings to compare them to anyone that would support Potter books.

Now tossing books (or people holding books) off a cliff…there’s an idea!
[insert winking smiley. Or not]

I'll leave your thread alone now...
j

jay said:
I wouldn’t have stepped in if Stewart wasn’t being commented with the bibliographical equivalent to “why can’t you be more optimistic”.
Fair enough. You can go build up your throwing arm and I'll go read my kiddie books. :) (or not)

Back