• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Louis L'Amour

This thread has convinced me to try Louis L'Amour! Somehow I'v missed him my entire life :confused:
Thanking all in advance,
Peder

SFG75 said:
Having grown up on a ranch in Wyoming, my father has EVERY L'Amour book that there is. I've probably rad about two of them. I don't mind them, I like how they are written. I prefer non-fiction western, books about bank robbers or of course...Wyatt Earpp. There are other western writers that I've tried on occassion, but none that I could remember at the top of my head, which tells you how impressed I was with them. I'll have to try L'Amour again some time. :cool:
I also have every book that L'Amour has written. I subscribed to his book-of-the-month many, many years ago and over a long period of time I finally ended up with all of the books.

Getting away from L'Amour for a moment. There are 2 books about the Mountain Men that explored the West that I highly recommend. These books are simply the best there are regarding the early 1800's when the trappers (Mountain Men) were discovering land never seen before except by the Native Indians. The life of the Mountain Men is something worth reading to fully understand the West before it started to be settled.

1. The Big Sky .....by....... A.B. Guthrie, Jr.....It has been named as "The Best Novel of the American West" by the Western Literature Association.

2. Give Your Heart To The Hawks....by....Winfred Blevins

You can read a good description of these books on Amazon.com

The first Louis L'Amour book I read was Hondo. Now I'm hooked. Since then, I’ve read Flint, Silver Canyon, and Utah Blaine. Excellent books! I used to love Westerns as a kid, and now I know why.

Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey and Shane by Jack Schaefer were also very good.

Robert said:
The first Louis L'Amour book I read was Hondo. Now I'm hooked. Since then, I’ve read Flint, Silver Canyon, and Utah Blaine. Excellent books! I used to love Westerns as a kid, and now I know why.

Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey and Shane by Jack Schaefer were also very good.
I have read both of those and yes they were very good.

Robert, you are on a roll now and have many excellent books to read now that you have discovered L'Amour.....and re-discovered the Western.

When you get a chance please try this book:
The Big Sky .....by....... A.B. Guthrie, Jr.....It has been named as "The Best Novel of the American West" by the Western Literature Association.

muggle said:
I have read both of those and yes they were very good.

Robert, you are on a roll now and have many excellent books to read now that you have discovered L'Amour.....and re-discovered the Western.

When you get a chance please try this book:
.....by....... A.B. Guthrie, Jr.....It has been named as "The Best Novel of the American West" by the Western Literature Association.

Thanks muggle, I'll put that on my buying list for next time I visit Amazon.com.

I thought that I would revive this thread on L'Amour to see if any others have read him and your opinions.

Robert said:
It seem that there aren't many reading Westerns these days, Muggle.
What can we do to change that. They are missing out on some great reading by some very good authors.

muggle said:
What can we do to change that. They are missing out on some great reading by some very good authors.

I wish I knew, muggle. Perhaps there isn't enough violence?

OK, I have put The Shootist on my TBR list. The reviews on Amazon were terrific. Some called it one of the 3 best westerns ever written. The Shootist by Glendon Swartout.

That's a great book, muggle. The next western on my TBR list is To the Far Blue Mountains. In fact, it might be my next book if Out of the Silent Planet doesn't arrive before I finish Seven Deadly Wonders.

To The Far Blue Mountains is one of the books in the Sackett stories. This is the recommended order in which to read the books but can be read out of order just as well. If I recall I believe that To The Far Blue Mountains is one of the lengthier books in the series.

1. Sackett’s Land

2. To the Far Blue Mountains

3. The Warrior’s Path

4. Jubal Sackett

5. Ride the River

6. The Daybreakers

7. The Courting of Griselda
(short story in “End of the Drive”)

8. Lando

9. Sackett

10.Booty for a Badman
(short story in “War Party”)

11.Mojave Crossing

12.The Sackett Brand

13.The Skyliners

14.The Lonely Men

15. Mustang Man

16.Galloway

17.Treasure Mountain

18.Ride the Dark Trail

19.Lonely on the Mountain

The only L'Amour book I've read is The Haunted Mesa. I remember being mad enough to kick Mr. L'Amour in the shins because he didn't tell the story the way I thought he ought to have. :rolleyes: I've since read a series by the Gears that gives their spin on what happpened to the Anasazi, and it occurs to me, that maybe enough time has passed for me to give The Haunted Mesa another try. L'Amour's take on the mystery is weird, but in keeping with origin stories of the Hopi..so maybe..

The Visitant- Kathleen O'Neal Gear and W. Michael Gear
The Summoning God
Bone Walker

I've got all of The Sacketts series, and I love it! I just ordered The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour, The Frontier Series today from Zooba.

abecedarian said:
The only L'Amour book I've read is The Haunted Mesa. I remember being mad enough to kick Mr. L'Amour in the shins because he didn't tell the story the way I thought he ought to have. :rolleyes: I've since read a series by the Gears that gives their spin on what happpened to the Anasazi, and it occurs to me, that maybe enough time has passed for me to give The Haunted Mesa another try. L'Amour's take on the mystery is weird, but in keeping with origin stories of the Hopi..so maybe..

The Visitant- Kathleen O'Neal Gear and W. Michael Gear
The Summoning God
Bone Walker

I read The Haunted Mesa. Not bad, but definitely not one of his better works.

Robert said:
I read The Haunted Mesa. Not bad, but definitely not one of his better works.

I felt gypped because it could have been a great story, and he blew it.(Like I personally could have done so much better:rolleyes: ) I still don't know what I was looking for at the time, but this book wasnt it.

abecedarian said:
I felt gypped because it could have been a great story, and he blew it.(Like I personally could have done so much better:rolleyes: ) I still don't know what I was looking for at the time, but this book wasnt it.

I was expecting something more, too. But I'm happy to say of the L'Amour books I've read, it's the only one that has disappointed.

pontalba said:
I've got all of The Sacketts series, and I love it! I just ordered The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour, The Frontier Series today from Zooba.
You can always be counted on read the good ones. :)

pontalba said:
:D Its the feedback and recommendations I get 'round this here joint! :cool:

I've gotten some good recommendations from this site as well. In fact, I believe it's the reason I started reading westerns.

Back