• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Lunching with Adolf

javelin98

[Note: This story was written in response to a debate I had with someone about the "nature vs. nurture" argument.]​

I lifted the carefully-folded napkin from my plate and spread it on my lap. The white cotton napkin was thick and soft, but it was quickly forgotten as the waiter brought the menu. Expensive food in a script like spidery wrought iron flowed down one side of the menu; a list of wines more expensive than my car deigned to grace the opposite side. Matti Sogni was a very expensive restaurant, the kind of place that diplomats from the UN complex down the street brought other diplomats, the better to impress upon each other how good they were at frivolously spending their nation’s money.

I nodded my thanks to the waiter when he brought my glass of ice water. Cool droplets had formed on the outside, clinging for dear life, briefly, before finally sliding down the stem to oblivion on the white tablecloth. My guest was late, but Manhattan at lunchtime is a busy place, where it is easy to be late and hard to care.

The waiter touched my shoulder and motioned to the man behind him. I rose, and we shook hands, but I didn’t notice; it was my first time meeting him in person, and my eyes couldn’t help but trace the jaw line, the nose, the deep brown eyes and thinning hair. He wasn’t tall, but neither did he seem short; he had a presence about him.

“Thank you so much for coming,” I began, perhaps a little too friendly I thought, and he smiled a brief, controlled smile.

“I am sorry for being late,” he replied, and we took our seats. He sat with a straight back, I noticed, and his charcoal pin-striped suit accented his Germanic features. Thin hair was respectably combed, but not over the top. Napkins fluttered into laps and menus presented themselves, and we concentrated on ordering our food from the hovering waiter. Once the menus were taken away, I made it a point of placing my small notebook and Cross pen on the table edge.

“May we begin?” I asked, and he nodded. It was an awkward beginning to what promised to be an awkward conversation, but it was Pultizer material, and that was my domain.

“Well, Mr. Hiller, I want to thank you for agreeing to talk with me. You’ve kept a fairly low profile these last few years, understandably. I understand that you’re an attorney here in Manhattan?” My Cross pen was poised over the first line of the tablet, ready to immortalize in ink any worthy snippet.

He took a deep breath, glancing down first at the tablet then at his napkin, which he straightened on his lap. “Yes, I’m a partner at the firm of Stroth, Gold, Adler, and Gross, on 36th and Lexington. I specialize in currency and commodities arbitration, and do almost all my work for the NASD.”

The pen scratched across the paper. Scratch, scratch, dot. “I see. What led you to pursue law?”

His eyebrows raised slightly, cynically. “If you’re going to make ends meet in Manhattan, Mr. Ames, it will most often be as a lawyer or a banker, and I don’t like banks. I understand that you yourself live in New Jersey?”

I smiled briefly. “In Red Bank, yes. An hour’s train ride, but not so bad, considering.”

He nodded. “And you like working for the Times?”

My turn to nod. “Finest newspaper in the world, sir. Would you have agreed to this interview if I worked for any less?”

He smiled again, and nodded. “Well put, Mr. Ames. Now, you may continue with your questions.”

I thanked him and began to look down my list of topics. “To begin with, Mr. Hiller, maybe we can discuss your rather unusual childhood. I believe that people would be interested in your beginnings and how you came to discover who you are.”

He sighed almost imperceptibly. “Of course. That is often what people ask first. Well, I was born at Winchester Hospital in Boston, surrounded by MIT scientists and Harvard doctors. My mother’s name is Doctor Jessica Hiller, my father is Doctor Fulton Hiller, and I have no siblings. My mother was unable to conceive, you see, but was fully capable of bringing a fertilized egg to term once it was implanted in her uterus. I don’t actually remember the moment of my birth, so you’ll have to forgive me if I gloss over that part.” A smile drifted across his face.

“I’d say my childhood was normal, but then I’ve only had one childhood to compare it to. My parents were incredibly busy people, and so I was raised by a succession of nannies and au pairs, with my parents checking in every so often. Still, it was a happy enough time, and I fondly remember it as innocent and carefree.” He stopped to sip a lemon-laced glass of ice water, his fingers leaving small islands of disruption in the condensation on its sides.

I tapped my pencil on my pad once, twice, before venturing on. “When did you find out that you were… what you are?”

The glass resumed its post by his plate, and he frowned slightly while slicing off a portion of the steaming fresh bread the waiter had placed at the edge of our table. “What I am… we may as well not pussy-foot around the question, Mr. Ames. You’d like to know what it’s like to be a clone, I suppose?”

I stopped in mid-reach, my glass of iced tea forgotten. I felt a chill down deep into the soles of my feet as I tried to gauge if I’d offended him. “Well, yes, although I wasn’t –“

He waved me off. “Don’t be worried about my feelings, Mr. Ames. I’ve been called far, far worse, and by people with supposedly higher breeding than you or me. Clone, doppelganger, ersatz, counterfeit, mimic, fraud… The truth is that I feel like I feel, and I’ve never known any different. I was born from a womb, as were you; I grew up skinning my knees and kicking around a soccer ball and doing everything else you most likely did as well. When people say “clone”, it conjures up an image of someone not entirely human, someone stamped out of plastic in a dirty factory somewhere in Singapore and sold in violation of original copyrights. It makes one think of mindless soldiers in some bad science fiction movie, as if cloning reduces one’s will and sense of self to that of a lobotomized automaton. Clone. A cheap cardboard imitation of a human.”

He paused while the waiter delivered our salads, spearing some watercress on his fork. “I am none of those things, Mr. Ames. My parents are two of the finest geneticists in the world, I was sent to the best schools, Cornell and Harvard and Yale, and I am a respected force in the financial securities community. I have a black belt in go-ju-ryu and I paint watercolors on the weekends. I am every bit as human as you, perhaps more human than many people you meet walking around Central Park, in fact.”

My cheeks were burning, and he saw. He held up one hand in supplication. “I apologize. In answer to your question, I was seven years old when someone first told me that I was an exact genetic duplicate of someone else. And not just anyone, but him. It made for a difficult adolescence, I can assure you. Kids can be cruel as it is, but with something like that hanging over your head… and there was nowhere to go to avoid it, because my birth and life were such a headline-making event, first for the mainstream papers… and later for the tabloids. ‘Nazi Baby Ate My Jewish Neighbor’, sort of thing. Disgusting.”

I swallowed a bite of baby spinach with apple cider vinaigrette and washed it down with iced tea. “So it was unintentional, you finding this out?” My pen was catching up on the dialogue on its own. Scratch, scratch, dot, scratch, pause…

“Indeed. I don’t know when my parents planned on telling me, but by the time I was nine, I had come to them too many times asking what the other kids meant when they said those words, ‘Nazi’, ‘clone’, and all the rest. They finally explained where I had come from but not who my progenitor was; that came later, after more taunting and more questions. It was a painful education, but I’m glad now that I was able to face it early and learn to deal with it while my personality and psyche were still developing.” He paused to look out the window, and we each ate a few bites of salad silently.

I wiped my mouth on my napkin. “Have you deliberately avoided certain activities or interests because of your heritage?” I asked, pen again poised to record his reply.

“I assume you mean politics or military service? Yes, I have. The parallels were simply too strong to be ignored; too many people would have made a fuss about it. Never mind that the United States of today is hardly the Weimar Germany of the 1930’s.” Our entrees arrived – his was a pasta fresca dish, mine a stuffed pullet. He continued. “And I am active politically; I make regular donations to the Libertarians, educate myself on policies and platforms, and vote my conscience. But I have never actively sought political office. And while I believe I would have been a very capable soldier, I also steered clear of that course, again because of the complications that it would have caused in people’s perceptions.” Scratch, scratch, pause, scratch, underline…

[Part 2]

I put down my pen and carved into the roasted hen. “So your heritage has indeed had an impact on your life. What else has it impacted? Do you avoid all things German?”

“Of course not. I speak German. But I also speak French, Arabic, Spanish, Latin, Russian, and a bit of Mandarin Chinese. I like wienerschnitzel and Black Forest cherry cake as much as I like curry and teriyaki. I don’t believe that those sorts of things are genetically predisposed and I refuse to scorn them simply because they are from a country that my progenitor was from.” He leaned forward. “I suppose the logic behind your question is more: do I feel that, by speaking German or eating German food or whatever, that I will begin to think and feel like my ancestor? That I will be overcome by a sudden urge to annex Austria or invade Paris? That I will be consumed by a hatred for Jews or a stirring passion for all things Aryan? Preposterous. I assume that you would not insult either of us by stating that belief, and yet it is a belief so commonly held by so many that it borders on superstition.”

He leaned back again, and I breathed again. I hadn’t realized that I’d been holding my breath. “But of course, people can believe in so many outlandish tales. Someone asked me once if I have his memories. This is ridiculous, of course; memories are merely the electro-chemical impressions left on our brains by our experiences, and have nothing to do with genetics. I know nothing about him that cannot be found in any history textbook. People say they can see him in my face, my expressions, even the way I talk. Any child can look at a fluffy cloud and see a poodle, but that doesn’t mean we’re all about to be pissed on!” His voice had risen, along with some color in his cheeks. He calmed himself and sat back in his seat, back straight as usual. When he began again, his voice was quiet and controlled. “The hardest part is that for thirty-five years, people have held someone else’s sins against me, and I have to tell myself time and again that I bear not one iota of guilt for what happened in the 1940’s.

“I had a terrible time in my early teens. I began to be fascinated by him and what he did. Not fascinated in the way of admiration, but the kind of fascination that one would get watching a man fall from the top of a skyscraper, wondering what’s going through his mind and how bad it will hurt when he hits the ground. It’s the kind of fascination rubber-neckers have on the freeway when they see a really, really bad accident. They look at the wreckage, and they wonder, ‘my God, what did that to that car? What eddies in the current of high velocities led to that hood peeling back just so, and that bumper wrapping around that light pole like this, and the people inside ending up as mashed piles of bloody flesh and broken bone up against the dashboard? How did it feel as they spent their last earthly nanosecond hurtling through the air from where they had been sitting, to hit the windshield that would end their lives?’ That’s the fascination that I’ve felt with my past. Reading about the history of Germany and the Nazis is... well, is like visiting the scene of some particularly heinous crime, a violent murder in someone's kitchen, and you know that, right here, people lived their last moments in utter terror and abject fear. That violent sounds and the pumping of adrenalin once hammered the walls in the very space you’re now standing, and that you are surrounded by the accusing ghosts of those who ended their days on that cold linoleum floor. That’s how it feels when I read about what Hitler did. Somebody put me in his body, grew it up around me, and now I’m trapped in that crime scene.”

His eyes were hard, and there were tears in them. “But you – when you visit that blood-spattered kitchen where the jealous husband used a cleaver to slaughter his cheating wife and her lover, you are secure in the knowledge that you can go home, wash the stench of blood off you, drown the memories in a bottle of beer, and wake up the next morning none the worse for wear. But I cannot do that. There is a burden of guilt, simply by association and lineage, that follows me everywhere. I have never actually been to Germany; I don’t know how they would receive me there and I don’t want to find out. But I, unlike you, cannot wash away those sins. The genetic blueprint of the person who carried them out is under my skin, in every pore, eyelash, toenail. Sure, I have a mole here where he did not, and he had one over here where I do not. But we are the same chemically, for all that.”

Tears were streaming down his cheeks, and part of me was ashamed for having met him here in this public place, to put him on display this way. A few people had noticed and were looking out of the corners of their eyes, but in New York you learned to ignore other people. But still my pen wrote on, trying to record all he had said. Scratch, scratch…scratch, dot, scratch…

“I’m sorry that it has been that hard for you.” My own throat was tight, my mouth dry. “I don’t know much about the actual science of cloning. But, I have to ask, since you’re genetically wired the way he was, don’t you believe that some of your thoughts must mirror his, in a purely stimulus-response context?”

He had wiped his eyes with his napkin and resumed eating his pasta. He paused, one forkful poised above his plate. “Yes, from that standpoint, I believe that it could be said our responses to certain stimuli would be similar. But my point is, Mr. Ames, that my experiences have left chemical imprints on my brain that are unique and different from those left on his brain by his experiences. If I were suddenly transported back in time to 1935 and put in his clothing, I would not make the same choices he made. I have trained my brain to think in a dispassionate, legalistic manner, while his brain was scarred by hatred and indignation, focused on his perception of Germany’s betrayal at the hands of the Jews and her abuse by the winning powers from the first World War.” The check arrived, and I sent it back with my New York Times corporate credit card folded in. This meal was on the newspaper.

We left the restaurant and lingered on the sidewalk outside. Down the street, the flags of the UN fluttered in the breeze coming in off the Hudson. He turned to me, but his eyes were wistful, looking inward rather than outward.

“Mr. Ames, there have been many sleepless nights when I curse the day they found his body in that old Soviet hospital in Sverdlovsk. There have been many moments of anxiety when I’ve wished my parents had never extracted his DNA and used it to create me. The rationale I have explained to you is one I’ve spent years justifying to myself, in those cold, lonely moments when I have had to stare at the evil that nestles within my genes. It has been a constant battle. And it will haunt me forever.”

He raised his chin and looked hard into my eyes. “When you, Mr. Ames, hear a march on the radio, and it sticks in your mind, you can dismiss it as being a catchy tune. When you raise your voice to someone, you can dismiss it as being an act of passion. When you say you hate someone, you can dismiss it as a childish fit of pique.

“But I, Mr. Ames, I can hear the jackboots marching in the streets. I can hear the raised voices in condemnation of an entire race of people. I can hear, in my own inflection and nuance, the voice of absolute evil. I wasn’t there when it all happened, and I have never intentionally hurt another human being, but the atrocities of Nazi Germany have left their scar on me as well. And I have to question myself constantly – in his place, would I have sunk to his level of evil, his degree of barbarism? People like you can shake it off and assure yourselves that you’d never give in to that kind of behavior. But I cannot. I have stood on the edge of sanity and civilization, and stared into the abyss, and what have I seen down there?

“I have seen myself, wearing a Charlie Chaplin mustache and a brown uniform. I have heard myself, exhorting millions of Germans to kill millions of Jews. I have felt myself, driven by anger and fury and power. And only one thing has saved me from insanity and suicide: that I know for certain that that is not me. I am not him.

I am not him.”

Anselm Hiller turned and strode smoothly off down the sidewalk, and I folded up my notebook and put it away. I wondered, for a brief moment, if my own youthful fistfights and love of rough sports might have been because my own ancestors were Vikings, pillaging and plundering the coast of Norway. Then I turned and melted into the crowd of New Yorkers, seeking comfort in the anonymity that I knew I could find… and that he never would.

© 2004 by Andreas Udby

And please feel free to rate or reply to the thread or comment on the subject matter. It'd just be nice to know that someone had actually read it.

I have shivers. It's incredibly well written. I would say, flesh it out a bit, give it a bit more emotional punch, and submit it for publication. Just make the characters rounder, and you're there.

I thought this was great. I'm not usually inclined to sit through two full posts of narrative but it kind of hooked me. Very thought-provoking. There is enough material there to make a novel - perhaps using flash backs of his life etc, and maybe keeping us guessing as to his genetic routes until the young man himself finds out, with the narrative you have posted here maybe used at the end.
But then again it really works as a short story too. :)

Not sure about singing potatoes, but I think a spork fight somewhere towards the end could really pull it all together. Seriously though, that was excellent. You should definitely send it off and see if you can get it published.

Okay, okay -- singing potatoes and sporks as well. Thanks! <START shameless self-promotion> Rate me if you think it's worth it! <END shameless self-promotion>

Well, I submitted it to Analog for publication today. Now we'll wait two or three months for it to actually get read and see if they want to put it in one of their issues.

its really good, i enjoyed reading it, and wouldnt mind to read more ;)

maybe you can make more of it if a hot good looking pirate lady kidnappes mr hiller using a spork :eek: and take him to a desert island to make non cloned baby hillers :p

mr_michel said:
maybe you can make more of it if a hot good looking pirate lady kidnappes mr hiller using a spork :eek: and take him to a desert island to make non cloned baby hillers :p

That sounds like a fantastic idea!

Let me know if Analog give you any trouble. I can alway pay them a visit. :mad:

Back