• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Macbeth

Deerskin

Favourite versions? Is anyone familier with the production starring Judi Dench and Ian McKellan? It is fantastic, by far the best I have ever seen it really does justice to this intense, dark and passionate play. A lucky find about a year ago, I was not even aware that these two wonderful actors had starred in Macbeth until I saw the video in a sale. I would recommend it to anyone.

I vaguely remember watching another version of Macbeth while studying it for the first time in school, and have tried to find it since but without success. The main thing I remember about it is that Macbeth had longish, red hair - does anyone know which production this is and where I could find it? Help with this would be very much apprieciated.

It's not one of my favorite plays, but I'll have to find the McKellan version. With those two, how could it be bad?

Originally posted by Deerskin
I vaguely remember watching another version of Macbeth ..... The main thing I remember about it is that Macbeth had longish, red hair - does anyone know which production this is and where I could find it

I have a film version by Roman Polanski (Columbia Tristar Home Video VHS CC7519) with Jon Finch as Macbeth, Francesca Annis as Lady Macbeth & Martin Shaw as Banquo but no long red hair I'm afraid and IMHO this version is not very good so I couldn't recommend it to anyone. It was filmed in a 'real time & place' style but for me is not very well acted and misses the mark completely re atmosphere, tension etc. Avoid this one if you come across it in your search.

Dave B.

DaveB, thanks for the info about the Roman Polanski version, I haven't seen this one and had considered buying it, perhaps I'll give it a miss now! I think my red-haired Macbeth is going to remain a mystery; it's a shame as I love red hair!

I know this is an old post but there's another well known production of The Scottish Play that hasn't been mentioned.

Throne of Blood by Akira Kurosawa. I think it dates back to the 50s. MacBeth as a samurai. Quality.

Incidentally, Kurosawa is also the director of The Seven Samurai which was later remade for English speaking audiences as The Magnificent Seven.

I saw the red-haired one, as well, when I was in high school. However, I have cannot recall the production company.

Back