• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

*makes mark on TBF* *...in stone, to be irritating*

Acolyte

Well, in light of certain events I thought I should probably post here.

I came to TBF on advice from phil_t, to show and get criticism on my poetry. A handful of my poems (old threads now) are in the writing forum--go check them out and offer insightful critique! Help me improve!

As a result of the call for newbie postings in the Thumperthread, I've started to engage the forum at large. (BROADSIDE 'ER, LADDIES! RAMMING SPEED!)

I write poetry, sometimes, occasionally it's not angsty drivel. I'm a young and in no way idealistic (more cheerfully cynical) chemist, living in North Carolina, a beautiful, if too hot, state in the USA, though I'm originally from Michigan and Indiana (an LP'er and a Hoosier, if you care to know). I used to love to read and then I grew up and I seemed to have these things called 'friends' that supplant my reading time a bit. As in, it's been a long time since I read a serious work of fiction or nonfiction. Mostly I stick to the cheap thrills of good satire or comedy (hence the Terry Pratchett currently above my name).

I love long walks on the beach, red wines, and jumping out of planes (with parachutes--I have much too much fun as a cheerful cynic to commit suicide). I have a hard time taking much seriously, but you might have figured that out if you've read this far.

It'll be a fun ride, y'all.

My parents and grandparents all lived, and grew up in the Carolina's and I have some longing (must be in my genes) desire to go there whenever I can. Both my parents graduated form UNC. Had it not been for Dupont I think I would have been born there instead of Delaware.

We vacation on Holden Beach in August. I love palm trees and spanish moss. There's something about the southern lifestyle that just makes you relax and enjoy life. If my wife's entire family did not live here in Delaware I would not think twice about moving to one of the Carolina's...either North or South.

You are a lucky lucky person in my eyes.

Glad you're staying, mate.

Said it before, and I'll say it again - any friend of Phil's a friend of mine.

Welcome.

Cheers

Welcome to the book forum
north_carolina.gif

Ahhh, but my hunger for British humor is insatiable--so much more in my style than American comedy (which usually involves a stupid male, a pretty female, an uppity child and more scatalogical references than coprolitologist--or was that my childhood...).

I even have been known to watch late-night BBC comedies like "Are you being Served?" to get that dash of quirky humor.

As for the Carolinas, they're great to visit (especially the less swampy NC), but I'm not for living there. Much to hot for my blood. Give me 360 degree sky full of wind and clouds, surrounded by cornfields and Amish and lone highways. *enters nostalgic reverie*

As for jumps, I'd have to go find my log to be sure. A lot. The rush of wind during the first part is almost like being back home in Indiana, and the second part....it's like breathing beauty instead of air and seeing poetry instead of the mundane. It's also been the one subject to totally elude my own attempts at poetry. I can never get it down. Probably, I'll figure it out on the jump that my parachute doesn't open. *grin*

Acolyte said:
As for jumps, I'd have to go find my log to be sure. A lot. The rush of wind during the first part is almost like being back home in Indiana, and the second part....it's like breathing beauty instead of air and seeing poetry instead of the mundane. It's also been the one subject to totally elude my own attempts at poetry. I can never get it down. Probably, I'll figure it out on the jump that my parachute doesn't open. *grin*

Wow... The picture is so good, I nearly start to think I had been wrong not to try jumps myself...

Sergo said:
Wow... The picture is so good, I nearly start to think I had been wrong not to trying jumps myself...

i'm actually hoping that my next birthday present will be a parachute jump or a bungee jump. :eek:

honeydevil said:
i'm actually hoping that my next birthday present will be a parachute jump or a bungee jump. :eek:

By the way, your new avatar is quite thrilling... I like the face...

Back