• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Man donates 60,000 books to university

RAC42

kickbox
A 95-year-old Winnipeg man is donating an enormous collection of science fiction items spanning more than 80 years of publication to the University of Alberta.

Chester Cuthbert, 95, said he picked up science fiction books whenever he had a few dollars to spare.

It will take about 100 pallets in three semi-trailers to haul the books and magazines, which have an estimated value of about $1 million, to the University of Alberta

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/books/story/2007/10/04/sci-fi-collection.html

I'd like to see the titles too. I wonder what the university will do with the books. I can't imagine they'd keep 60,000 sci-fi books.

It would certainly make a nice beginning for a Science Fiction collection. I'm sure he had his reasons for donating them to that particular college.

The real story behind this donation

It was my father who donated these books. The best description online I have found of how this all transpired is found here:

podbaydoor com/?p=773

DCuthbert - that is seriously so cool. It's good that UAL is going to take care of his collection. That's a really awesome story.

It was my father who donated these books. The best description online I have found of how this all transpired is found here:

podbaydoor com/?p=773

That is a fabulous story. Not only did I drool over the photos of the books but I also drooled over the bookcases!

Also, that is the coolest name for a website ever.

If these bookcases are looking for a home, I'll gladly take them.

I think my friend has one or two bookcases like those, but a bit shorter. They're maybe five feet, fiive and a half feet tall. I think he wants to sell them. Don't know what he wants for them though. Interested?

Thanks Jez. That's nice to offer but shipping costs would about match what they would cost for me to buy here.

YOU need them!

My aunt has a dresser similar to that one in her basment! We used to hide Easter eggs down there when it was too nasty to do so outdoors..I remember we overlooked one......for months:p

Thanks Jez. That's nice to offer but shipping costs would about match what they would cost for me to buy here.

YOU need them!

No problem. You're probably right about shipping. I do need them, desperately. I don't have the room though :(

Back