• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Margaret Atwood: The Blind Assassin

It seems to me that there were no deep or meaningful relationships in the book. Iris and Laura could and should have been closer to one other, and I think that Laura did her best to reach out to her sister, but things just seemed to go all wrong even between them after they fell into the clutches of Richard and Winifred. (And Iris's relationship with Alex wasn't exactly what I would call a richly rewarding one either.)

This leads me back to my previous question: Where was the love in this story? It seems to have been all about thwarted, unsatisfactory and missing love.

Richard had all the makings of a Humbert Humbert, but without any of HH's redeeming qualities. And Winifred was simply beneath any feeling person's contempt.

Come to think of it, just what point do you all think Atwood was trying to make in this one anyhow? :confused:

I haven't read this book for awhile, I passed it on to my friends to read, but it was one of my favorite books. I might be rusty on a few parts so I plan to reread it as soon as I get it back.

It was not really a feel good book but it was, as Ell said earlier I think, very real. The lack of love or depth in the relationships was a key part of the story, the girls were raised to be that way and they were trapped in a lonely, mundane life. I think that is what made it one of my favorite biooks, sometimes I like stories that aren't all happy endings.

StillILearn said:
It seems to me that there were no deep or meaningful relationships in the book. Iris and Laura could and should have been closer to one other, and I think that Laura did her best to reach out to her sister, but things just seemed to go all wrong even between them after they fell into the clutches of Richard and Winifred. (And Iris's relationship with Alex wasn't exactly what I would call a richly rewarding one either.)

This leads me back to my previous question: Where was the love in this story? It seems to have been all about thwarted, unsatisfactory and missing love.
I think there was love between Iris and Laura, but no closeness - they were too different from each other emotionally. Laura and Iris lived their lives constantly second-guessing each other's motives and being wrong most of the time. Iris was always the "big" sister trying to protect Laura - a role that was foisted upon her at a very young age; and Laura was always speaking in cryptic, symbollic language that went right over Iris's head. She (Iris) didn't figure it all out until she was older, wiser and jaded.

I believe this is a key component of Atwood's story. Just because you care for and love the people in your life, doesn't mean you understand them or can relate to them.

Alex and Iris 'loved' each other, but couldn't get beyond their differences. What they thought about each other and what they actually said to each other were miles apart. That's one of the reasons they had to have a "story" to tell each other when they were together. They couldn't come clean and say what they actually felt.

Come to think of it, just what point do you all think Atwood was trying to make in this one anyhow? :confused:
I don't know that Atwood was trying to make any <i>one</i> point. I think she wants us to see a multi-faceted family with complex dynamics; to see how people who care about each other can drive each other away; to see that trying to protect someone isn't the same as actually protecting them; to see that doing the 'right thing' isn't always the right thing.

I like the way Atwood used the society newspaper clippings in juxtaposition to what actually went on in the family. The different versions of the same event perfectly illustrates how different versions of truth are told. The story within a story structure also supports the notion that there is always more than one way to describe something. There is the truth, then there is the TRUTH depending on where you stand.

To respond to an earlier question about Iris redeeming herself and coming clean to the public, I don't think that's the point. For Iris, telling the story for Sabrina was redemption - setting it all down for Sabrina. Iris didn't give a rat's ass about what others thought, but it was important for her that Sabrina understand what happened from a different perspective.

I've rambled on a bit, but didn't want this discussion to die yet.
;)

Doug Johnson said:
Interesting perspective. Personally, I'd say that she wanted to hide the truth from everyone, until after she was dead and buried.
Perhaps I should clarify. I don't think she cared what people thought at that point in her life - i.e the old Iris. When she was younger, she cared a lot - which is what got her into trouble.

Near the end, I don't think she felt the need to clarify things for "the public". Let sleeping dogs lie, as Reenie would have said. If her real story came out, I doubt it would have mattered much to her.

Ronny said:
I haven't read this book for awhile, I passed it on to my friends to read, but it was one of my favorite books. I might be rusty on a few parts so I plan to reread it as soon as I get it back.

It was not really a feel good book but it was, as Ell said earlier I think, very real. The lack of love or depth in the relationships was a key part of the story, the girls were raised to be that way and they were trapped in a lonely, mundane life. I think that is what made it one of my favorite biooks, sometimes I like stories that aren't all happy endings.

Oh, Ronny, get the book -- even if you have to check it out of the library! Like Ell, I'd like to discuss this one some more. :)

I sent an email to the gals, I guess we'll see how good of friends we are now:) I hope I get it back before my big 4 day weekend this weekend.

OH NO!

I just spent thirty minutes writing a really long and well-thought-out post, and it all just disappeared into cyberspace! Wah! I'll try to reconstruct it, but not right now. I think I'll go have a bit of a weep. :(

Ell =
I believe this is a key component of Atwood's story. Just because you care for and love the people in your life, doesn't mean you understand them or can relate to them.

Yes, Ell. The story is filled with people who are trying to do their best, but are unintentionally wounding one other, and sometimes fatally. (With the exception of the Griffens, who actually relish hurting everybody in sight -- makes me wonder whatever happened to them in their childdhoods?)

Laura seems to have been born a saint, with a shell around her that no one can penetrate from the outside. At the point when she does feel enough desperation to try to involve Iris in their mutual salvation, it is too late; Richard and Winifred have already got them in their evil clutches, and Iris is deafened and blinded by all that is around her; she cannot hear Laura's feeble (if fervent) warnings.

Reenie is able to help to some extent , but she's made up of earthlier stuff. Like Myra, in her time, she can only help on a physical level.

Their mother slips away soon after birthng them, and their father is a flawed man; his war wounds and shell-shock only magnify his inherent weaknesses.

Aimee seems little more than a channel from which Sabrina is able to enter the picture, and Sabrina equals the (uncertain) future.

As for Alex -- what does Alex represent? He was a bafflement to me.

Who can see the flesh on these bones?

Well, I've read 3 books by her, the Blind Assassin, Alias Grace & the Handmaids Tale, in that order and in all of them I really loved the characters. I could identify with them, they seemed real for better or worse, they were balanced, not too good to be true or too shockingly bad. I also liked that her stories seemed real too, in the sense that they don't always have a sunny, happy ending. Mostly I remeber the feel of being absorded in them, they were very enticing. I picked up my copy of the Blind Assassin this weekend, it's been 2 years since I read it, but I can't wait to reread and I'll come back to this thread.

StillILearn said:
As for Alex -- what does Alex represent? He was a bafflement to me.
I think Alex was the perfect foil. He filled the needs of both Iris and Laura - though in completely different, almost polar opposite, ways.

To Iris, he was the forbidden, the dangerous - a clandestine life away from her glamourous, smiling, society-wife persona - a way to rebel at a time when she wasn't able or willing to rebel openly. To Laura, he was the sad, lost sheep in need of protection; her idealistic, lost cause that kept her going despite what happened in her own life. As soon as she learned of his death, she lost her will to live.

Just finished this book (it was a re-read), and loved every page. I had completely forgotten all the details of the book, except for the fact that it was Iris who had the affair, and Iris who wrote the book.

I didn't think the descriptions of clothing was over the top. In fact I wouldn't have thought anything of it, if I hadn't read this thread before I started reading the book. From what I remember, the parts where clothing was described in detail was in newspaper articles, or in the 'book within the book'. It's not as though clothing was described on every page, or even every chapter. :)

I'm surprised about people's opinions of Iris. I always assumed that she married Richard because she was put in a position where she felt she had to, and not to serve her own interests. Her father basically put their family in her hands, and made her believe that it was her decision as to whether they would survive, or lose everything. I don't think she was a cold, calculating character at all. I think she was a naive young girl who genuinely believed she was doing the right thing. She just didn't think about the consequences - who really does when they are 20? By the time she died, she was a bitter, cynical old woman, but in no way was she "cold". She hated losing her daughter, and her grand-daughter, and it was really through no fault of her own. It was that cow Winifred.:mad: The only "wrong" choice she made, was the affair - but could you really blame her? After all, she never married for love. Richard and Iris both knew that.

BTW, why did Laura Chase become this legend after The Blind Assassin was published? From the novel (within the book), it seemed extremely unremarkable; certainly not enough to justify the adoration she got from fans who weren't even born when she died. :confused: All that stuff about flowers being left on her grave, and graffiti on toilet walls left me a bit puzzled. :confused: What was it about the book that moved everyone so much? :confused:

Ell said:
As soon as she learned of his death, she lost her will to live.

I think it she saw Iris and Alex's affair as some sort of betrayal. That was my reasoning of why she killed herself. If Alex had died (as he did), but hadn't had the affair with Iris, then I don't believe Laura would have committed suicide. Also, was she involved with Alex? I never got the part why she was so hooked on him, many years after they parted company (unless I'm forgetting something).

This is probably my second favourite Atwood novel (after Alias Grace). She never fails to impress. :)

angerball said:
I'm surprised about people's opinions of Iris. I always assumed that she married Richard because she was put in a position where she felt she had to, and not to serve her own interests. Her father basically put their family in her hands, and made her believe that it was her decision as to whether they would survive, or lose everything. I don't think she was a cold, calculating character at all. I think she was a naive young girl who genuinely believed she was doing the right thing. She just didn't think about the consequences - who really does when they are 20? By the time she died, she was a bitter, cynical old woman, but in no way was she "cold". She hated losing her daughter, and her grand-daughter, and it was really through no fault of her own. It was that cow Winifred.:mad:
I agree with you about how she fell into her marriage with Richard. It was her 'choice' in name only. What else could she do given the family circumstances and the way in which she was raised? Only Laura could see an alternative, but she wasn't raised to feel responsible for a younger sister and the family's well-being.

I think she became "cold" as a result of navigating the role of society-wife foisted upon her and having to deal with Winifred. By the time she grew up and developed a backbone, it was too late to make a difference in her relationship with her daughter.

The only "wrong" choice she made, was the affair - but could you really blame her? After all, she never married for love. Richard and Iris both knew that.
I didn't see this as being a wrong choice. I think she loved Alex, and had he come back from the war, she was at a point in her life where she might (I stress, 'might') have finally made a decision to leave Richard.

BTW, why did Laura Chase become this legend after The Blind Assassin was published? From the novel (within the book), it seemed extremely unremarkable; certainly not enough to justify the adoration she got from fans who weren't even born when she died. :confused: All that stuff about flowers being left on her grave, and graffiti on toilet walls left me a bit puzzled. :confused: What was it about the book that moved everyone so much? :confused:
I believe it had to do with the uproar the book caused when people speculated it was autobiographical. Laura was seen as a poor little rich-girl and tortured soul who had to sneak out to meet her lover. The public seems to like this kind of story - especially when it brings disrepute to powerful or famous people (in this case, Richard and Winifred).

I think she saw Iris and Alex's affair as some sort of betrayal. . . . . <snip> . . . Also, was she involved with Alex? I never got the part why she was so hooked on him, many years after they parted company (unless I'm forgetting something).
I think Laura operated on a totally different wavelength. If you're asking whether she was involved with Alex sexually - I don't think so. For Laura, I see him as being another one of her causes and lost souls to save.

Ell said:
It was her 'choice' in name only.

By the time she grew up and developed a backbone

I know we've had this discussion before, but why couldn't she have grown a backbone sooner? By rejecting Richard she would've saved the life of her sister and possibly her father.

Doug Johnson said:
I know we've had this discussion before, but why couldn't she have grown a backbone sooner? By rejecting Richard she would've saved the life of her sister and possibly her father.
I think you know the answer to this. :)

Everyone grows up and matures at their own rate. Circumstances, personality, emotional stability/instability are all factors. Iris wasn't ready to grow up until she was ready. It's kind of like asking a recovering alcoholic why they didn't quit sooner.

Ell said:
It's kind of like asking a recovering alcoholic why they didn't quit sooner.

Interesting, alcoholics need to hit rock bottom before they can be happy.

Do you think women need to hit rock bottom before they can have a happy, healthy relationship?

Doug Johnson said:
Interesting, alcoholics need to hit rock bottom before they can be happy.

Do you think women need to hit rock bottom before they can have a happy, healthy relationship?
Surely you're not extrapolating the relationships of one female character in one book to all women?

Ell said:
Surely you're not extrapolating the relationships of one female character in one book to all women?

You're the one who compared Iris to all alcoholics. Do you see her as someone who needed to hit rock bottom before maturing? If so, why did she need to hit rock bottom and others don't.

(Personally, I think Iris was just too weak to make a tough decision and paid the price. Which is fine. No one is perfect.) I'm just wondering why you think she didn't really have a choice? Nothing personal. Others share your opinion. No one else has explained what happened to her free will either. You're just the only one who's willing to talk about it with me. ;)

Back