• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Margaret Atwood

I'm currently right in the middle of The Blind Assassin and it's excellent. So the next time you're in the book shop, don't put the book back down. Take it to the till and buy it, then go home and read it.

I've only read The Handmaid's Tale and I thought that was excellent - very chilling. A couple of weeks ago I was in a "cheapy" book store and picked up a hardback copy of Oryx and Crake for £5, because I'd heard on here it was good, but I looked at the blurb and didn't think it was my kind of thing, so I put it back again!! :rolleyes:

The Handmaid's Tale really got to me. Maybe my perception of it is a bit distorted, cause I read it when I was still quite young, and maybe I should read it again some time.

Just finished The Blind Assassin. It's awfully sad. :( But very good. I'm now in that post book fug where I need to choose the right one to read next. Something a bit cheerier I think.

Finished Oryx and Crake in two sittings - it was a good read, not the best ive ever read, but far from the worst - i'd recommend it for those who like survivalist fiction with a lot of flashback backstory :) And just a note to the author, or any other author for that matter ....

.... I HATE OPEN-ENDED ENDINGS!!! :mad:

Just write a damn finish :D

Phil

Erm .... what?? About the last bit?? Its hardly giving the story away now is it??

Read the book, its worth the investment :)

Phil

Well, now I know it's not going to have a conclusive ending; no climax to live up to.

And don't worry, I'll read it none the less.

Cheers, Martin :cool:

Well i wouldnt say that exactly, its just that after the climax theres a little bit more, which is ... inconclusive :D Anyway, i doubt it will mar your reading of the story - most that it is in the narrative comes to its end one way or another, especially as a large portion of it is told in flashback.

Phil

Okay.

Maybe I was just being nitpicky. I've just been very careful about reading about endings of books after I had a massive twist in a novel ruined for me by an online review of the book.

phil_t said:
Finished Oryx and Crake in two sittings - it was a good read, not the best ive ever read, but far from the worst - i'd recommend it for those who like survivalist fiction with a lot of flashback backstory :) And just a note to the author, or any other author for that matter ....

.... I HATE OPEN-ENDED ENDINGS!!! :mad:

Just write a damn finish :D

Phil

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN! The lack of ending somewhat spoiled my opinion of that book. I love post-apocalyptic stuff, and Oryx and Crake was done so well, but what happened to the end? I mean, isn't an essential part of the story it's ending? I'm the reader, it's not my job to make up the end. Argh! :confused:

Well hurry up and read it then!!

Personally, i love the bit where Snowman slaughters all the pigoons with a giant Spork of Doom ..... just kidding Martin ;)

Phil

I can't read 2 books at a time - I'll have to finish Cryptonomicon first.

kskyhappy said:
read handmaids tale to see what all the fuss was about. Enjoyed it - fits interestingly into the modern climate.

[snip]
the girl had to read it for her english course, she could probably give you a better commentary on it than me, involving words like feminist, men and pig etc.

ksky

Granted I'm only a third of the way through this one at the mo, but to be honest I'm not quite sure where you're coming from. Thus far, all I'm seeing is examples of "You never know what you've got til it's gone."

I found The Blind Assassin really disappointing. How on earth it won the Booker, I don't know. Both English Passengers by Matthew Kneale and Keepers of the Truth by Michael Collins were far better.

Having said that, I saw The Handmaid's Tale (operatic version) and thought it was really good.

Skycat

Margaret Atwood anyone??

I've just posted my review of the shatteringly good Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood in the library - I loved it , a real page turner . I first read Atwood when I came across The Blind Assassin as the 2000 Booker Prize winner. Many readers know Atwood because of "The Handmaid's Tale" - read by many at school and sadly mant were put off as is the case with books read for learning as opposed to pleasure.

I have read Assassin and Handmaids - I have Cats Eye and Surfacing on the shelf. I like Atwoods style and Assassin was a breath of fresh air.

I got Oryx and Crake at Waterstones in one of their cunning 3 for 2 schemes. I'm hoping to start it some time soon.

Back