• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Margaret Atwood

CDA said:
So, any Atwood experts out there - where should I go next? Any suggestions will be very welcome.

Have you read Alias Grace? That is my favourite Atwood book. :) It's based on the true story of a Canadian housemaid, who was found guilty of murdering her master and his mistress back in the 19th Century. Atwood basically creates a story around the event and the characters. A very good read.

CDA said:
I finished Oryx and Crake last night. Highly amusing and very satisfying. It is my first experience of Atwood. It was interesting to be made to think about certain issues without being preached at.

So, any Atwood experts out there - where should I go next? Any suggestions will be very welcome.
The only other Atwood I've read is The Handmaid's Tale, which was a very good read, but not as good as Oryx and Crake, in my opinion. I've heard a lot of good things about The Blind Assassin (it was also the winner of the Booker Prize in 2000), but I have yet to read it. I'm sure Ell will be able to tell you about that one :D

CDA said:
I finished Oryx and Crake last night. Highly amusing and very satisfying. It is my first experience of Atwood. It was interesting to be made to think about certain issues without being preached at.

Where to begin? Alias Grace as mentioned by angerball is very good. It's probably the most accessible of Atwood's non-speculative (sci-fi) works in that the narrative is pretty straight forward. But if you liked Oryx and Crake, you might want to try The Handmaid's Tale, though after O & C, you might find it pretty tame.

My favourite is The Blind Assassin for which Atwood won the Booker award. It's a complex story about the relationship between two sisters, one who dies in a tragic accident. There are actually two nested stories within the main narrative and the setting switches back and forth in time between the 1930s and present-day. All I can say is you'll probably either love it or hate it. It's quite different from Oryx and Crake and definitely not a quick read.

Others to try: The Edible Woman, The Robber Bride

angerball said:
Have you read Alias Grace? That is my favourite Atwood book. :) It's based on the true story of a Canadian housemaid, who was found guilty of murdering her master and his mistress back in the 19th Century. Atwood basically creates a story around the event and the characters. A very good read.

This sounds interesting. As do they all - thanks everyone for your suggestions. I can't decide which to go for next, so I'm going to have to take a look at all that you have listed and see which one fancies my tickle.

Was The Handmaid's Tale a film? Or am I mistaken?

Thanks again, everyone.

Excuse me? do I look like Kook?? Hey CDA, I'm going to beat you to 1000 posts by the end of the year! Wanna race? :p

Miss Shelf said:
Excuse me? do I look like Kook?? Hey CDA, I'm going to beat you to 1000 posts by the end of the year! Wanna race? :p

Sorry about that - must have forgotten to take my medication that day!

Race? Yer on! :D

MonkeyCatcher - looks like you've beaten me in getting started on Blind Assassin. Any thoughts yet?

CDA said:
MonkeyCatcher - looks like you've beaten me in getting started on Blind Assassin. Any thoughts yet?
The start is very wierd. I wasn't sure if I was reading the book that a character wrote, or reading about the character getting ideas for her said book. I'm sure that it will all straighten out though. I'm only about 100 pages in, but I'm loving it. The writing style is absolutely fabulous, and it's very compelling. Looks to be a great read :)

I read Handmaid's Tale and didn't really care for the ending, but totally loved the book.

Has anyone else read The Penelopaid? She takes the Odyssey and retells the story from Penelope's point of view, being stuck at home waiting for her husband. The 12 maids act as a Greek Chorus and there's a pretty interesting twist on their identity. I loved it.

I'm can't wait to read The Blind Assassin and discuss it with y'all.

I don't know why I never finished The Blind Assassin. I know I wanted to buy it when I saw it in the bookstores many years ago. I finally got it, read the first few chapters and faded away (I got it as an ebook). I fully intend to complete it - and I do agree with others on her writing, which is crisp and accomplished, and her telling of the story. The story within the main story was interesting to say the least - it threw me off guard, and had me thinking "what the...??"

But I do agree on another thing - Blind Assassin is not something you stroll through just like that.

ds

Ell?

What is it about Margaret Atwood that makes women like us like her? She's hard as nails and sharp as a knife, and we should be avoiding her like the plague.

:D :D :D

I haven't even got round to reading Blind Assassin yet. I bought it for the TBF book club this month but with Atwood, you've got to be in the mood for it, and even then, it can be tough :)

I don't know why we like her either. Maybe what you said, Still, on the Enchanter thread, rings true. About being a calm and placid kinda person on the surface, but underneath, there's a slight yearning for darker stuff.

Also, Still, I love Nabokov, but like all of my favourite authors, I can rarely stomach two of their books in succession. It's just nice to have a break, once a book ends.

No kidding! Two Atwoods in a row might be lethal. Joyce Carol Oates is another writer who always mesmerizes me, but who also leaves me longing for an antidotal Wooster and Jeeves (f'rinstance.)

StillILearn said:
What is it about Margaret Atwood that makes women like us like her? She's hard as nails and sharp as a knife, and we should be avoiding her like the plague.

:D :D :D
OK, I'm invading to see what all the hee haw is about.;) I want to know why you say you should be avoiding her. I am very curious about this author. Hard as nails or sharp doesn't bother or put me off. It can be quite refreshing actually.

steffee said:
Also, Still, I love Nabokov, but like all of my favourite authors, I can rarely stomach two of their books in succession. It's just nice to have a break, once a book ends.

Now I am just the opposite. I can read several of the same author in a row. I get in a groove, and enjoy it. Then I do finally get sick of it. For example Sue Grafton, or Kathy Reichs, but otoh, they are not really deep authors, just a smashing good story.

But I am on my third Nabokov, with others on the side. So who am I kidding.....:D

pontalba said:
OK, I'm invading to see what all the hee haw is about.;) I want to know why you say you should be avoiding her. I am very curious about this author. Hard as nails or sharp doesn't bother or put me off. It can be quite refreshing actually.

Let me see. Hm. Hm. Atwood's women don't usually seem so very likeable to me. (I'm trying to remember some of them ... it's been a while ...) The last book I read of hers was The Blind Assassin, and -- I know! I can't identify with her women, but I can sympathize with them. I think maybe that's it. Her books are not what I'd call pleasant, anyway. But good. Well-written. Let me think some about the others I've read. I'll get back.

Ell? Where are you? Help us out here.

Anybody?

Back