• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Maria Dzielska: Hypatia Of Alexandria

Stewart

Title: Hypatia of Alexandria
Author: Maria Dzielska (Translated by F. Lyra)
Publisher: Harvard University Press
ISBN: 0-674-43776-4

For those who have never heard of Hypatia the back of this book gives you a quick summary of the woman:

Hypatia - brilliant mathematician, eloquent Neoplatonist, and a woman renowned for her beauty - was brutally murdered by a mob of Christians in Alexandria in 415. She has been a legend ever since.

This book is thin (106 pages, an additional forty to fifty provide sources, notes, and an index yet, despite its size, it manages to pull together a summary of Hypatia's life from the texts of the time by people lsuch as Socrates Scholasticus and Synesius.

Essentially, it's an interpretation of these historical texts that reconstructs who Hypatia was, how she lived, and why she was brutally murdered.

The book begins by examining the enduring legend of Hypatia by looking at the literary references in which she is portrayed (19th Century novels, and poetry) and continues to examine her by looking at the people who lived around here. Moving on, Dzielska looks at Hypatia herself from trying to determine the year of her birth to describing the terrible death to which she succumbed and, looks at who - ultimately - was responsible.* After looking at Hypatia, the author resolves the woman's history and offers a conclusion to her book.

It was certainly an interesting book in both the uncommon subject matter and the way that the life within was completely reconstructed from writings of the day as none of Hypatia's work is believed to exist anymore. It does not cover life in Alexandria or describe the Great Library but, as the title suggests, this is not about Alexandria - there will, no doubt, be books on that topic.

It's worth reading if a) you have an interest in philosophy or mathematics; or b) you are a feminist looking for a new heroine. (She was, afterall, the only major female of scientific note prior to Marie Curie.)

* She was stripped naked, dragged through the streets to a church, where many proceeded to strip the flesh from her bones using broken pottery. Her remains were then tossed on a fire.

Stewart, is this your area of expertise? I just wondered by what route you would find something like this. Is it something that would appeal to the academic or would someone whose interest is piqued by your post, me for example, be able to pick this up and read it without too much background knowledge? My classic history reading is limited to The Odyssey and The Illiad, The Last Days of Socrates, and a fantastic book I read at school which I want to find again, Heroditus(?) History of the Persian Wars---I think that's right, please correct me if it isn't.

As you saw in the thread over on General, people are looking to get interested in non -fiction..what about some recommendations that would put history ignorant people like me on the right road? Just a thought as I'm here to learn as well as share :)

francesca said:
Stewart, is this your area of expertise? I just wondered by what route you would find something like this.

There was a character in Umberto Eco's Baudolino called Hypatia. I was browsing the history section of Borders a few weeks after reading Eco and spotted the book. Remembering the character from the book I bought it as I hoped it would bring more of an insight into the character.

Is it something that would appeal to the academic or would someone whose interest is piqued by your post, me for example, be able to pick this up and read it without too much background knowledge?
It's a little dry, yet nowhere near as dry as other acedemic book, but an interesting enough read. After reading you get a good enough picture of the womand and will probably question why, as a strong female persona, she isn't too well known.

Stewart said:
After reading you get a good enough picture of the womand and will probably question why, as a strong female persona, she isn't too well known.

I probably wouldn't question that, I think there are a lot of strong females in history that are largely undiscovered. There is a queen in Sardinia's ancient history who was incredibly enlightened for the times she lived in and really affected the course of Sardinia's history - at some point this winter I really want to read up about her. But of course, that's Sardinia, and who is interested in that apart from Sardinians and me? :)

Oh and D.H. Lawrence of course.

Man, I can't find this book anywhere, and I have been hunting for ages. I guess I'll have to give in and get it from Amazon. Maybe I can find a decent used one for a little $.

Out of interest, why have you been looking for this book? What is that makes you want to read it?

This book has been on my list for a while now, so I'm trying hard to remembr the reasons I want to read it. Primarily, historical women in the maths and sciences are few and far between, I want to know more about her for myself and , maybe, for my daughters. I would like to be able to encourage them in the maths and sciences, if they are so inclined, and having female historical examples may help me.

Back