• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

marijuana????

Motokid

I searched this forum, and I can't believe no one's asked this yet, and since the smoking discussion took off quite nicely...

Should marijuana be legalized?

Medicinal or in general? Why is it different than alcohol in the grand scheme of things?

And I hope the arguement that it leads to harder drugs is not the only direction this leads....

relax, motokid. have trust in us. please?

marijuana is no less addictive than religion, but being high doesn't make you want to kill anybody, so, yes, it should be legalized. why not? alcohol is much worse for your body. my dad is an executive directer who smokes almost every single day, and he's fine. he likes to get high and play video games when he gets home from work, but he's always up the next morning at 5 a.m. so, sure, legalize it.

Personal Opinion

I think that marijuana should be treated the way alcohol and tobacco are. Legalized but regulated. I think it would bring in income to the governments, regulate quality.

I think that the drug itself doesn't lead to harder drugs, but I do believe the associations do. I.e., that if you're buying pot from a dealer who also deals harder drugs you'll be exposed to some sales pressure you otherwise wouldn't. I believe that "peer pressure" exists even among adults and that it just doesn't seem as bad if "John does it, and he's not a bad guy, so it must not be too bad." (Does that make any sense?).

I don't do pot. But I have a condition that medicinal marijuana would be good for. If it was legal would I? If it can get rid of my pain? Oh yeah.

Well, judging by what's happening in Canada, if legalized, big business will get their fat paws all over it, severely restrict potency, (the legal stuff is supposed to taste like shit too), restrict trading outside big pharm auspices, and ruin the quality of what's available.

They're already talking about making a pharm. extract, which would of course be patented and expensive and prescribed as a pill, with their rationale being it will eliminate the poisonous smoke and tar.

Fadamaconcern, I don't see much advantage to anyone in legalization, unless you work for Upjohn or somewhere.

There will always be a black market for better quality weed, so what's the point?

i'm not sure, but i think in canada it has been decrimilized(spelling), so in the event that you are caught with it, you will not be charged with possesion. any canadians out there who know the real facts please correct me.
i totally think it should be legal ,but agree with novella, that gov. involvement will just ruin it, and you will always be able to get better stuff from your neighbours basement.

Uhm, motokid -- again, unless in context with a book or film, it's sort of off limits, which is WHY you haven't found it here. Now, if you want to discuss it in context with something like the 30's movie "Reefer Madness", then feel free... ;)

I think heroin should be legalised too. And given awaty free. Then all the idiot smackheads will OD and stop burgling our houses. And spreading nasty diseases vial their filthy sexual habits.

Cathy C.

I'm in the Non-book discussions - general chat area
"General area to chat off-topic. Please keep it clean and legal"

So far everybody is playing nice. Nobodies getting angry, and if people can discuss "what they're listening to" why can't they discuss pot and cig's?

Plus, in order to have a half decent discussion one has to have some facts that they've probably read from somewhere don't they?

If people don't like these types of threads here they won't take part in the posting. Right?

It's definitely no worse than alcohol. Some studies have found it to be worse than tobacco on your lungs though. I've been told that only one study was done with driving under the influence of marijuana, and it only used one person, and he did better under the influence. I find that hard to believe.

According to Jenem, Canada backed out on the "legalized" status of marijuana in BC. Most likely because of pressure from my wonderful, god fearing, pot hating government. "Reefer Madness" is probably the main reason it's illegal here in the states. Goebells would've been proud.

As with liquor, let the state sell it. I'm not sure that all drugs shouldn't be legalized to some extent. I know that sounds crazy. Here me out for just a second. If you let the state sell it, then criminals, gangs, and terrorists have nothing to sell. The prices would drop from there formerly profitable to small time dealers price. If a gang doesn't have money, how do they buy weapons? Forget all about how you feel about drugs and mull it over. Think about how many people die enforcing drug laws, in drive bys, in drug deals gone bad. No more drug dealers. I picture something like a pharmacy selling them. You can limit people's intake, point them to counselling (in the same building maybe) if they're coming by a little too often. It would have to be a very regulated business, and the drug tax would probably be pretty hefty. There would be problems with addiction; I won't deny that. Look at pre-Opium War China's population. A full quarter were addicted to opium.

I think the idea sounds feasible, but I know it's a little naive. I actually trust people to be responsible! :eek: But there are plenty of people like me though who only partake occasionally and responsibly. I know lots of people who smoke a lot more than me (and do a LOT of other things that I don't), and they're all doing really well for themselves. As a matter of fact, out of all the people that I know who use some form of recreational chemical, I only know of one person that's actually had to seek help.

ritalinkid, have you seen the new dvd transfer of reefer madness, with commentary from mystery science theater 3000 host mike nelson? it's pretty funny. he has a hard time making heads or tails of the issue because, on one hand, paul mccartney took nearly every breath through a lit bong, and still pumped out great tunes. while, on the other hand, david crosby managed to turn himself into a fat, retarded walrus.

Motokid said:
So far everybody is playing nice. Nobodies getting angry, and if people can discuss "what they're listening to" why can't they discuss pot and cig's?

Plus, in order to have a half decent discussion one has to have some facts that they've probably read from somewhere don't they?

Insofar as the marijuana issue is concerned, my thoughts are that if we legalized drugs, we'd put the drug dealers out of business, and maybe we could spend the zillions of dollars we're now spending on our "war on drugs" on education instead.

Alcohol is probably the most widely used and most destructive drug there is, and it's perfectly legal.

You can even do it in restaurants.

This thread isn't offering to sell drugs or instructing anyone on how to shoot heroine into their tear ducts. I say it's fair game.

However, I would like to throw up a disclaimer/words of wisdom though. If you're under 20 years old and reading this, there's so much more to life than chemical sensations. Learn to have fun sober first. There's plenty of time after you've matured a little to decide if recreational chemicals (including alcohol) are for you.

StillILearn said:
Alcohol is probably the most widely used and most destructive drug there is, and it's perfectly legal.
actually, sucrose is the most widely used and destructive drug there is. it's made from corn, which your body doesn't digest, and it's a highly addictive, mood-altering substance. the best part is, because the sugar industry is a multi-billion dollar operation, they promote consumption among one-year-olds. we americans consume 17.6 billion pounds of it a year.

hey novella, what about this:

Suppose pot's legalized and private companies start pumping millions of dollars into producing some of the best crops the world has ever seen. Hybrids??? When you take away the fear of prison, and start growing with educated minds at work in fields that grow the worlds finest coffee's lets say....Man I'm all a-tingle....and getting a craving for dorito's

Why would legalization kill it? Has it killed the alcohol, liquor, and beer that we all swill? I think I'd prefer what Coor's makes over what Jimmy-bob makes in the still down in Kentucky....

Imagine a lab full of phd's working on genetic mutations that would provide a better high without the munchie side effects, or without the dry mouth...

bobby, I haven't caught the DVD, but I'll try to get a copy. I was in Costa Rica this summmer, and they were playing Reefer Madness as the midnight movie at a cafe on the beach in Puerto Viejo de Talmanaca, but I missed it! I was sick at my stomach from swallowing ocean water and had to go back to my villa and go to bed.

novella said:
There will always be a black market for better quality weed, so what's the point?

Novella, I have the highest respect for you (no pun intended) and see your point in 99% of your posts. This falls in that 1% category.

I'm not going to pretend that I have all of the answers. I don't. But it seems to me that the decriminalization, at least, would save untold tax dollars in the court system, law enforcement, and prisons. Combine that with the creation of new jobs and of course, government taxing, the US would have the chance to pull itself out of debt.

On a more personal level, Mrs Jones down the street would'nt have to spend a year in prison and give up the custody of her two children because she was caught smoking a joint after a stressful 12 hour shift at the nurse's station. Not to mention the joy of being ostracized by the community for doing something that's moraly justifiable.

They say that one of the long term effects of smoking pot is paranoia. I wonder why?

RaVeN

Back